Tri-Valley Masters
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 53s
Overall Rank = 124/?
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

This is my masters team, so I volunteered to help. Got everything ready to go the night before, got up at 5:30, put on swimsuit, and warm clothes and headed to the race site. I got there about 6:10. Helped with registration.
Event warmup:

Got in the 68 degree water, did the "I am cold" dance and finally put my face in the water. Swam about 100 yards before the start, just to get used to the temperature. This is masters, so only wimps wear wetsuits. I am not a wimp, but I was cold.
Swim
  • 32m 53s
  • 1320 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt strong the entire swim. Water was murky this year, however, less growing things in the water, which was good. Weather was perfect for the swim, not windy, very nice.
What would you do differently?:

I drafted about 1/2 the swim off of another person (sorta practicing that skill) He was going just a hair slower than my pace, so I could have passed him but chose not to. My effort for this portion was much easier than when I was swimming on my own, but I could have finished faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat post-race goodies, and put on warm jacket.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only back swimming for about 6 weeks, not up to speed yet.

Event comments:

Of course it's the best! My team puts it on! The only bad thing was the EMT guys forgot or something, so we had to wait to start for about 1/2 hour until the ambulance showed up. However, not the organization's fault.

Last updated: 2005-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:53 | 1320 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 124/?
Performance: Good
Water started feeling pretty good after about the 1st buoy. It was still cold, but felt refreshing rather than icy. Around the last buoy I swam into the rope holding the buoy (it was floating out there for quite a ways) finally got myself away from that, then I was good to go.
Suit: Swimsuit
Course: Sort've parallelogram shaped, swam around the buoys in a counter-clockwise direction. Everyone doing the swim started at the same time. Deep water start.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Lake Del Valle 0.75 mile swim

2005-06-20 6:30 AM
in reply to: #178184

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Lake Del Valle 0.75 mile swim
Sounds like a great race!  And I'm VERY familiar with the "I'm cold" dance ... I'm such a wimp when it comes to swimming in cold water!!
2005-06-20 6:31 AM
in reply to: #178184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Del Valle 0.75 mile swim
Sounds like it was fun and I think it's great that your Master's team puts that on!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Del Valle 0.75 mile swim Rss Feed