United States
Trifamily racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 28s
Overall Rank = 21/34
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 3 am, left @ 4am. Took about an hour 15 to get there. Ate some oranges and a couple of bananas between 3 and start of the race. Hung out in the locker room til the start, was breezy and chilly out! Woofed down a Chocolate#9 and a mini cliff right before I got in the water.
Event warmup:

Didn't have time, we all felt like we still had a while til the start then some guy came in the locker room and told us they were gonna start the Oly right now!
Swim
  • 39m 57s
  • 1600 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

Keep working on my stroke, some daze I'm dialed in and other daze.......
What would you do differently?:

Keep with the stroke work, it's coming just gotta stay positive. Keep conditioning, it's comin'!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

All transition time was in the bike.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 56s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Had aero bottle with about 14oz of water and 24oz cage bottle 50/50 Gatorade water. Just right. 2 Chocolate#9s on the bike.

Need to work on gearing against the wind. Maybe could've pushed a wee bit harder but wasn't sure. I'm still cool with my effort.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Shoes a little tough getting on. Took a second to get my legs straight.

Not much, was happy with my transition. My nephew recorded it, it was smoother/faster than it felt. All I can alwaze here in transition is Chris Berman saying "tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick!"
Run
  • 52m 35s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran on the wrong side of a fence for about 100yds and some lady told me hay, yer off the course so I had to turn around and go back. Had to just block that out.

Pay more attention to the course, just came out of a canal and my mind wondered for a second! keep conditioning, it's comin'!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, took in some fruits from the post race booth. Took about .5 mile brisk walk. Pigged out on the way home on some homemade trail mix, couple of cheese stix and some boiled eggs! Did drink a scoop of protein with 12oz of goat milk as soon as the race was over. Pretty much got all the fruits, veggies and nuts in me I could til dinner!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning

Event comments:

Most fun I've had at a tri yet. Drastic changes I've made in the past 3 weeks to my diet really paid off. No "sugar crash" during or after the race. Felt alot better the rest of the day and the next day than I ever had after a sprint. Looks like I found the best plan of attack for Soma '10, I hope. Met alot of great people yesterday, also got tips from some fellow athletes that I really appreciated. Also, went and introduced myself to a fellow BT'er(phxphotog) and had great conversation with him. It was his 1st tri. Most fun tri I've done so far. Really has me pumped for Tempe Intrntnl in May!

Last updated: 2010-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:57 | 1600 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 26/34
Performance: Average
Spot checked hr, usually was 146 to 153. Been struggling in the pool lately, today was no different.
Suit: tri shorts and compression shirt.
Course: This swim was in a 50m pool. Up one lane back in the next til you covered the pool(400m). Had to do that 4x!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:56 | 24 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 14/34
Pretty comfortable maintaining 158 bpm. Was hoping I wasn't blowing my load on the bike!
Wind: Some
Course: Little breezy heading north. Nice and flat! Coned off, plenty of markings, cones, etc.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:35 | 06 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 25/34
Ran around 158 to start, was too slow. So, after about 1/2 a mile moved up to about 163. Maintained that throughout the 1st lap. Moved up to 168 to 170 second lap. Killed 2 Choco#9s and drank 2 7oz 50/50 gatorade/water drinks from my fuelbelt throughout run.
Course: 2 loop course. Pretty cool that alot of it was in the dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes