48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 5s
Overall Rank = 5/34
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

1 wk out goals
A 2:27:00 (met) 26:30 S(1:40) (missed slightly) 3 min T1/T2 (met) 1:12 B(20.6) (met) 46 R(7:30) (met)

B 2:35:00 post travel 28 Swim (1:45) 4 T1/T2 1:14 B(20.1) 49 R(7:55) Go moderate in the pool and then build on the bike, remember to fuel up. Start fast on the run and hold on!

Woke at 4 and ate applesauce/protine powder and coffe, got dressed and Jenny and I loaded the car, 45 min drive to the site. Drank half a bottle of gatoraid (took the rest on the bike) on and off for the race. Very small venue with open transition area. I was in and out of tran 5 or 6 times. Had the bike setup and ready to go at 6:15 when they called for the pre-race meeting. Ate a bananna while the kids race was going on and a trial Lara bar at 7 and an Ensure at about 710. Race started at 8:30.

Ended up 6/71 overall 2/4 AG 5/34 males
Event warmup:

Walked around trying to stay warm Jenny shot me on and off all morning it was great having my sis there at the site, very encouraging. Thought I had a bunch of time because they said we would start about 5 min after the last Sprint swimmer. I guess they changed their minds because I went for a quick final bathroom stop and David had to pull me off the can to start the race. When I got to the start area there were only 2 swimmers ahead of me (20 sec). Rinsed the goggles and jumped in to swim. All times below are off my watch, the official time was 2 min faster than my garmin, not sure why.
Swim
  • 29m 25s
  • 1600 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ok this was a mess. I lost count of how many people I passed. Got passed by 3, grabbed the heeles of the last one and drafted for 100 till I lost him on a turn. The walls were always full (no flip turns) and every wall took 3-5 sec brutal. Concentrated on the smiles from the pool deck (family) and worked to avoid others. 5/34 is total field
What would you do differently?:

Not sure how to do this type of swim any better. Not extatic about the total time but I didn't cook myself and was ready to hit the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Officialy all T time is in the bike. Hit the watch at the timing mat and again once mounted on the bike. I think the real t1 time was 45ish. Ran out of the pool grabbed my towel and dried off a little on the way to the bike. When I got to my bike I realized the person next to me had bumped my bike and my helmet and glasses were on the ground, never good for a quick transition. Goggles and towel down glasses helmet race # on grabbed the bike and off to the line.

Not worry about the towel and just get moving faster
Bike
  • 1h 08m 14s
  • 24 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Concentrated on turning circles when I noticed that I was pounding the peddles. Passed by 2 and passed 20+ several twice. Pushed the dowin wind legs and tried to spin circles into the wind. Drank half the aero bottle of water and all of the gatoraid bottle ate one gel at the 3.5 lap point.

Bring the correct nutrition for the race......
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Started the dismount early and nearly didn't make the last turn. When I ran to the rack I realized my feet were blocks of wood, frozen wood. Slowly ran to the rack. Had issues getting the bike racked. Once it was there I worked socks and shoes grabbed my hat bottle and a towel and headed on to the course.

rack the bike quicker and leave the towel
Run
  • 42m 59s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to go out in 7:30 but could only maintain 7:50. Got feeling in my feet at the 1.13mi point and then could run a little better never felt like I was in the groove and always was a bit off. Had a jel at the 2mi point and felt a little better. At the 2.25 mi point felt like slowing down and told myself I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't give it my all. Picked up the pace and finished strong. Remember being passed by 3 or 4 but passed 15 or so. The finisher shoot looked better than any others I can remember.

Try to drink a bit more and get my stride under me a little quicker
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with the family and smiled a lot. This was the best overall race performance I have experienced

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gave my all and met nearly all my goals

Event comments:

Good mom and pop type race. Venue is nice course is good but needs a little more exposure and organization. The vols on the run course did a great job keeping traffic stopped but didn't pass out any water or the jels that were on the course.

Last updated: 2010-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:25 | 1600 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 5/34
Performance: Good
Hr data is off. Official time 26:56
Suit: New 2XU shorts and Zoot blue top
Course: Snake swim in 8 lane 50m pool 4 times thru. Getting out of the pool 4 times was tiring and jumping back in the last time almost took me out....
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:14 | 24 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Overall: 7/34
Official time 1:09:51 including all T time
Wind: Some
Course: 6 laps with 10-15mph winds
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:59 | 06 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 7/34
Garmin showed 5.64 miles and 7:37 ave official time 43:04
Course: Two laps on a mix of dirt paths and side walks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes