Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 4s
Overall Rank = 283/10487
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 248/4616
Pre-race routine:

Entered for the purpose of maintain race history
Event warmup:

Sunday was a perfect day for racing. The temperature hovered around 50 degrees with a light sprinkle in the air. I got moving around 5 am and made it downtown shortly after six. I had a solid 45 minutes prior to the race so we entered the Omni hotel and just found somewhere to hang out. It was warm and moderately quiet, despite the buzz of nervous athletes. I was feeling good that morning. My legs felt recovered and ready to race. I wasn't as giddy as normal but I didn't feel sluggish at all. I entered the corral with about 15 minutes to go and naturally ran into everyone and their mother.
Run
  • 1h 36m 4s
  • 13.35 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

As previously mentioned, my goal for the race was 1:35. I seeded myself between the 1:30 and 1:35 pace group. The first two miles were downhill and my times clearly reflect that as I went out fast, but comfortably. Just before the mile 2 marker, the 1:35 pace group swallowed me up. At this point, it threw me for a major mental loop. I had my first two miles WELL under the 7:15 pace. I spent most of mile three settling into my correct pace, adjusting to the hills and trying to refocus on running MY race only.

As I made my way into the Old Fourth Ward, I was burning up. I wore a sleeveless UA top under a short sleeve wicking shirt. I immediately shed the top shirt. My pre-race strategy was to bank time during miles 4-9, as those are the flattest sections of the course. I tried to make a move but my body was not budging. I started to suspect that things were going to fall apart for me around mile 10.

I was able to push the pace around mile 7 and get back under 7 minute miles. At the half way point, I was nearly dead on for a 1:35 finish. I did begin to notice that my garmin and the mile markers were off quite a bit. I made the decision to push again once I entered Piedmont Park. I found some extra motivation there and began surging for the next mile. By mile 10 I was pretty wiped. And the worst was yet to come.

The final 2 miles roll through Georgia Tech and are all uphill. The terrain has two small hills that you pop up quickly, 2 long gradual ones and 1 really long slight incline. Hands down, it is the hardest part of the course. I knew I was going to lose some time here and didn't have an accurate gauge on how much time I banked. I pushed and pushed. I was hurting at this point. I made it to the top of GT and into the final turn. My watch said I was on pace, race clock said I needed to push it even more.

I know I was pushing that final mile but the speed was just not there. It was a matter of trying to hang on for dear life. I had a decent cadence and form so I stuck with it. I hit the split on my watch when I crossed the 13.1 threshold as I had the course 13.35. The best part was finishing within 5 minutes of numerous friends. It allowed me to just hangout at the finish line congratulating several others.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-03-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:04 | 13.35 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4616
Overall: 0/10487
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: