General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Original TRI for FUN Triathlon #1 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-27 12:51 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Subject: The Original TRI for FUN Triathlon #1 : Official Thread
It looks like there is going to be quite a few BTers at this race so I thought I would start the thread for it. How's everyone's training going so far? I'm going to guess that for a lot of people this might be your first tri of the year or possibly your first tri ever.

Edited by uclamatt2007 2010-03-27 1:03 AM

2010-03-27 1:43 AM
in reply to: #2752000

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Subject: RE: The Original TRI for FUN Triathlon #1 : Official Thread
This is going to be my first tri ever.  There's a chance that I may do a Super Sprint in May (TBF is supposedly doing a free race for first timers).

Running and Biking are going well, but I have a hard time getting to the pool to work on my weakest event.
2010-04-02 10:24 AM

Looking forward to it! It's my First Tri in almost 3 years! Just started training recently. On the bike last weekend for 20 and in the pool yesterday for 1500 yards - so the endurance is getting there. Just need to pick up the pace here soon. Hoping to PR for a Sprint Tri this time around.

2010-04-08 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Since this will be my first tri I decided to sign up for the TBF "Learn To Tri" training group.  Training group starts on the 19th with an OWS, which hopefully will motivate me to get into the pool and practice.

Anyone else in the training group?

Unfortunately I went for a run tonight and aggravated a calf strain I had from my half-mary training.  Going to lay off the running for a bit and work on the bike and hopefully some swimming.

Chris
2010-04-09 12:54 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
I did this race in August last year as my first. It really is a great event, very low key and great for beginners.

I would highly recommend getting lots of pool time in. I know 5 people who ran this course last year for their first tri and every one of them thought the swim was harder than they had imagined it would be. Of course, all 5 of us didn't swim nearly enough prior to it. Just make sure that you are comfortable swimming a half mile and you will be fine.
2010-04-19 1:51 PM

User image

San Jose, California
Is this the one that takes place monthly between June and August in Pleasanton?
I'm a n00blette and planning on doing the San Jose sprint tri (Almaden Lake) but also am tossing around the idea of Tri for Fun... can only help! Matt, have you done it in the past? What are some things to expect? Is it in the hills near P-town or relatively flat?

Cheers!

Edited by MotoBonnie 2010-04-19 1:56 PM

2010-04-19 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2801894

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
MotoBonnie - 2010-04-19 11:51 AM Is this the one that takes place monthly between June and August in Pleasanton?
I'm a n00blette and planning on doing the San Jose sprint tri (Almaden Lake) but also am tossing around the idea of Tri for Fun... can only help! Matt, have you done it in the past? What are some things to expect? Is it in the hills near P-town or relatively flat?

Cheers!

There are two Tri for Fun series in Northern Calfornia, one in Pleasanton and one at Rancho Seco. The one we are talking about is the one in Rancho Seco. I have never done the one in Pleasanton. I've run this one before and it is a great beginner race, very well run and laid back. I can't tell you if the Pleasanton one will be the same.
2010-04-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2802086

User image

San Jose, California
uclamatt2007 - 2010-04-19 12:44 PM 

There are two Tri for Fun series in Northern Calfornia, one in Pleasanton and one at Rancho Seco. The one we are talking about is the one in Rancho Seco. I have never done the one in Pleasanton. I've run this one before and it is a great beginner race, very well run and laid back. I can't tell you if the Pleasanton one will be the same.

I didn't realize there were two. Sounds good. I'll scope out the Pleasanton one and see if any peeps here are doing it. I assumed if it's tri 'for fun', the riding portion would be somewhat lowkey. Definitely looking forward to getting more events under my belt. Until my first one is complete, there are some things I can't yet hone in on until I do it in action.

2010-04-19 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I did this one maybe 4 years ago as my first tri ever. From what I remember, they do a GREAT job of making first timers feel comfortable. Someone does a little talk on the beach before the start so you get an overview of the course, and can ask any questions you have. I think 60-70% of the people were newbies when I went - lots of nervous faces before the gun went off. Here's what I remember about the course:

Parking: They might charge to park inside the park...lots of people were parking on the street and walking/riding to the transition area.

Transition area: I had a hard time finding a spot - you might want to get there early as the good transition spots go fast and it's first come first served. I think I ended up doing my transition against a tree.

Swim: The swim was really fast - take a few left hand turns and you're out of the water before you know it. There were small shells on the bottom of the lake and I got small cuts on my feet as I entered/exited the water. Oh that reminds me - my watch is on the bottom of that lake somewhere - let me know if you see it =).

Bike: You go up the steep hill to the main street at the start so make sure your bike is in the right gear. I don't remember any hills - it's a lot of flat roads. The run was through the park on dirt trails and there are some rolling sections. It's nothing too nasty but be prepared for short climbs on tired legs.
2010-04-19 3:05 PM

User image

San Jose, California
dhopman, thx for the succinct summary! Sounds perfect for n00blettes like myself who need to get out some jitters Embarassed Was that the Rancho Seco one you did or Pleasanton? 
I've been kicking around the idea of doing a training clinic prior to the first tri. Sure I've got my reservations about doing well in the race itself, but the transitions and other *details* are probably causing me just as much anxiety LOL 
2010-04-19 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Ahhhh, I didn't read the thread carefully enough. I was talking about the Pleasanton one - not Rancho Seco. Sorry for hijacking.

2010-04-19 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2802284

User image

San Jose, California
dhopman - 2010-04-19 1:40 PM Ahhhh, I didn't read the thread carefully enough. I was talking about the Pleasanton one - not Rancho Seco. Sorry for hijacking.

I was the original hijacker Embarassed I'll find out more about the p-town one and leave this for Rancho Seco, but thx again guys for the input! 
2010-06-04 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I'm not familiar with the area or the course, but any BT'ers interested in meeting up after the race?  I'm not sure if there's an easy way to coordinate something, but thought I'd ask. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Original TRI for FUN Triathlon #1 : Official Thread Rss Feed