BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2785312

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
The race went as well as I could expect with the injuries I've had this year.  I was pleased to finish in under two hours.  That was really my only goal.
The best part of the day however was when my 10 year old son raced.  They had 1000 kids running 1.2 miles all out, without a clue.  It was hysterical.  My son finished in the top 2% of the group which was awesome.  He ran it in 8 mins flat.  When I told him how well he did, he said "that's great but I think I could have gone faster if I hadn't stopped a couple of times to let the other kids catch up.  I didn't want them to get too far behind."Surprised

I was speechless.

I think we'll be having a few more discussions about what racing is all about in the very near future.

2010-04-13 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2788112

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
*LOL* that's v cute! How nice of him.
2010-04-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
So, I just realized that we moved and i'm hoping there's still room for me to check in every week or two. WELCOME new folks!

My name is Bob, I'm 46, live in CT. This is my 3rd year of doing triathlon. I've gotten in only one sprint each year, but have done 4 or 5 mini-offroads both years. I've battled a couple of injuries, that i'm hoping to have gotten through and figured out how to manage. I have a wife, two teenagers a dog a cat (no goats), but i'm pretty sure there is a dead skunk (living?) under my porch. 

Still working on registering for my races. There are two mini series that i'm going to be doing multiple times, so i'm not that concerned about getting registered for a sprint or oly, but i will do it soon. I'd like to find one that doesn't start on top of a hill where the run and bike courses go down to the bottom than back up to the top. That's been the case in the two i've done so far.

2010-04-13 2:54 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Welcome to the group Kate.  Still stalking

2010-04-13 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
gobluedds - 2010-04-13 10:34 AM The race went as well as I could expect with the injuries I've had this year.  I was pleased to finish in under two hours.  That was really my only goal.
The best part of the day however was when my 10 year old son raced.  They had 1000 kids running 1.2 miles all out, without a clue.  It was hysterical.  My son finished in the top 2% of the group which was awesome.  He ran it in 8 mins flat.  When I told him how well he did, he said "that's great but I think I could have gone faster if I hadn't stopped a couple of times to let the other kids catch up.  I didn't want them to get too far behind."Surprised

I was speechless.

I think we'll be having a few more discussions about what racing is all about in the very near future.

That is awesome!  What a nice kid you have, and what a great time for him.
2010-04-13 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Yay I'm in! 

I didn't swim but I did sneak in a strength session before my cycle.

I was inspired by all the good vibes from this group so it's working already ... thanks. Laughing 

2010-04-13 3:47 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

gobluedds - 2010-04-13 11:34 AM The race went as well as I could expect with the injuries I've had this year.  I was pleased to finish in under two hours.  That was really my only goal.

I was speechless.

Wow, fast and a sportsman. Impressive

2010-04-13 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

gobluedds - 2010-04-13 11:34 AM The race went as well as I could expect with the injuries I've had this year.  I was pleased to finish in under two hours.  That was really my only goal.

I was speechless.

Just remember this moment when he is 15 and testing your last nerve.  Sounds like the kid was raised by a couple of okay parents.

2010-04-13 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2787249

User image

Regular
Billerica
Kate_r - 2010-04-13 1:55 AM Can I join in? I've been doing triathlon's off and on for about 3 years now but mainly really small novice or fun ones. I've signed up for two sprint ones this year but also have a big duathlon and kilomathon (26.3km) race. Trouble is I'm rubbish at running and although slightly improving I'm really slow :/ Other than that I work erratic hours and travel lots so it's a constant struggle to fit work outs in and control my diet. My main focus points are the running and the weightloss but I also need to make sure I don't neglect the swimming. I'm hoping that by being in a group I'll have that extra bit on incentive and support to meet my goals. Outside of triathlon I am married to a fab guy who hates running and doesn't like triathlons much either but I don't hold that against him oh and I'm based in Scotland! Will you let me join?

Welcome to the group Kate.
2010-04-13 8:05 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
gobluedds - 2010-04-13 10:34 AM The race went as well as I could expect with the injuries I've had this year.  I was pleased to finish in under two hours.  That was really my only goal.

I was speechless.

You taught him sportsmenship first which is a complement to his parents for taking that time. But your also right, now you need to have another talk about racing.
2010-04-14 2:41 AM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi Josh, My name is Tiernan from the UK and I would like to join your group.

I am 31, and quite fit, I have played amateur rugby for the past 14 years and am at an age now where i feel the bumps for longer and have decided to hang the boots up at the end of this season and will replace the void with triathlons.

I am 6ft 2 and currently weigh 210 lbs, over the past 2 years i have put on about 20 lbs, nothing has really changed in my diet, but i think my exercise has been on and off, also i think my age is catching up with my lifestyle. I want to lose weight and get down to about 180 lbs but thats a long term goal.

I signed up to BT in january and was a member of Famlec/Brian's group in the 1st round which was really useful and great to bounce ideas off people so i am back for round 2.

My blog is updated daily with all my training etc for you to take a look at. In summary this year i took up the bike, rode a 93 miler on my own, ran my 1st half marathon in 1.49, ran a 10k in 47, got my 1st triathlon on sunday coming, 400m pool swim, 20 mile bike 6 mile run so really excited about that.

Also done 3 ows already (this weekend gone) which was rather shocking to say ther least!!

I am signed up for 2 other events at the moment, a 750 sea swim, 20km ride and 5k run in may and a olympic distance in september in the sea.

As far as my strengths and weaknesses are concerned, out of the 3 i would say the swim is my weak spot, i need to learn to regulate my breathing. I can run ok, my best 10k ever was 42 mins,  My bike is ok but i am new to a road bike, i have only ridden it less than 10 times i think. But my bike legs seem to be ok as i have been doing spinning classes weekly for the past 2 years.

I am married with no kids and i am self employed which gives me flexibility on my schedule, i do expect to carry training in the mornings before i go into the office mondays and tuesdays, wednesdays will be after work but before rugby training (I am the coach of our team aswell at present but do not participate in the training). Spinning on thursdays is at lunchtime and my friday swin will be in the afternoon.

I think my personal weakness in the past when it comes to training is that i go all out 100% into it for a couple of weeks and then burn out, and i think thats because i always seem to diet when i get into my training and i think i end up running on empty. So my diet is something i need to work on.

I think theres plenty of info on me there for you to get through, sorry its such a long email. I hope you will be happy to take me on !

2010-04-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2790207

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Tiesim - 2010-04-14 3:41 AM Hi Josh, My name is Tiernan from the UK and I would like to join your group.

I am 31, and quite fit, I have played amateur rugby for the past 14 years and am at an age now where i feel the bumps for longer and have decided to hang the boots up at the end of this season and will replace the void with triathlons.

I am 6ft 2 and currently weigh 210 lbs, over the past 2 years i have put on about 20 lbs, nothing has really changed in my diet, but i think my exercise has been on and off, also i think my age is catching up with my lifestyle. I want to lose weight and get down to about 180 lbs but thats a long term goal.

I signed up to BT in january and was a member of Famlec/Brian's group in the 1st round which was really useful and great to bounce ideas off people so i am back for round 2.

My blog is updated daily with all my training etc for you to take a look at. In summary this year i took up the bike, rode a 93 miler on my own, ran my 1st half marathon in 1.49, ran a 10k in 47, got my 1st triathlon on sunday coming, 400m pool swim, 20 mile bike 6 mile run so really excited about that.

Also done 3 ows already (this weekend gone) which was rather shocking to say ther least!!

I am signed up for 2 other events at the moment, a 750 sea swim, 20km ride and 5k run in may and a olympic distance in september in the sea.

As far as my strengths and weaknesses are concerned, out of the 3 i would say the swim is my weak spot, i need to learn to regulate my breathing. I can run ok, my best 10k ever was 42 mins,  My bike is ok but i am new to a road bike, i have only ridden it less than 10 times i think. But my bike legs seem to be ok as i have been doing spinning classes weekly for the past 2 years.

I am married with no kids and i am self employed which gives me flexibility on my schedule, i do expect to carry training in the mornings before i go into the office mondays and tuesdays, wednesdays will be after work but before rugby training  (I am the coach of our team aswell at present but do not participate in the training). Spinning on thursdays is at lunchtime and my friday swin will be in the afternoon.

I think my personal weakness in the past when it comes to training is that i go all out 100% into it for a couple of weeks and then burn out, and i think thats because i always seem to diet when i get into my training and i think i end up running on empty. So my diet is something i need to work on.

I think theres plenty of info on me there for you to get through, sorry its such a long email. I hope you will be happy to take me on !

That's quite a bio.  Welcome to the group.  I will respond in more detail a bit later.  Swapped at work right now.

2010-04-14 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Is there a way to keep track of who in the group has upcoming races.  There are getting to be too many for me to keep track of in my mind. 

Thought I'd ask the resident techies.
2010-04-14 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm excited about our new UK groupies.  Kate, I love people from Scotland.  All my ancestors are from Scotland, and Gerard Butler is just HAWT!!

Also, I have some major motivation now.  I am doing the run leg for a team tri in August.  The swimmer is super fast, cyclist is pretty darn good, and then I'm the weakest link.  I have to work my tail off to not let the team down.
2010-04-14 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I must confess, much to the disappointment of my husband I'm not actually Scottish but I English, but I've been living in Scotland for 11 years now and doubt I'll move away, I love the place. My husband is Scottish born and bred and when we were in the US for our honeymoon I had to translate for him as his accent's quite think *giggle*.

It is great having people from all over the world on the message boards - it's only though this place that I've realised that there are lots of US places where you have long dry summers. The Scottish summer usually exists of a week or weekend in May and September - other than that the weather can be poor! That said I'm sure it's character building stuff which is why I think the Scots have such a good sense of humour.

2010-04-14 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Welcome to the group Tiernan!

2010-04-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2790943

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

AlanaF - 2010-04-14 11:06 AM Is there a way to keep track of who in the group has upcoming races.  There are getting to be too many for me to keep track of in my mind. 

One way to track the races of our group is to set up drafts in your race log. The races are then shown in order on your blog. will check for other ways.

2010-04-14 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Thanks all for the parenting props.  We try.  and try .   and try.Wink
Josh-  I don't think I'll have to wait till he's 15 to be testing my last nerve, he and his brother do that pretty well already.  But all in all they are pretty great kids.

Welcome Tiernan and Kate glad to have you aboard.

The black cloud continues to hang over me this week.  What I thought was a slight muscle pull and residual stiffness in my rib cage I found out today is actually a cracked rib.  It must have happened a week ago when I had to ditch my bike when a guy ran a red light and forced me off the road.  So for those paying attention, yes, i just ran a half-mary with a cracked rib.  Can things get worse this year?  Is God trying to tell me something?
2010-04-15 5:12 AM
in reply to: #2792297

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ontherun - 2010-04-14 4:52 PM

AlanaF - 2010-04-14 11:06 AM Is there a way to keep track of who in the group has upcoming races.  There are getting to be too many for me to keep track of in my mind. 

One way to track the races of our group is to set up drafts in your race log. The races are then shown in order on your blog. will check for other ways.

I will try to put together a list when the group is complete.  

2010-04-15 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2790207

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Tiesim - 2010-04-14 3:41 AM 

What kind of diet are you doing?  How many calories are you taking in?  Nutrition is always a tough one.  I have toyed with a couple of diets.  It's a lot of trial and error to find the one that best fits your lifestyle, or else it's just a fad.  Do you take anything while you are training?

2010-04-15 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Just FYI if anyone is interested.

I've figured out how to export a plan from BT Planned Training Log and import it into my Google Calendar.

The cool thing about this is -  the Swim, Bike, Run & Strength Training are all imported as separate events.
This allows you to schedule the time of day for your workouts.

Something i was struggling with on days where there were two workouts.

I'd love to do the same with a nutrition plan and be able to schedule when i need to shop and cook so that i can eat the right things when i want.
I'm going to work on that next.

I have to play with it a little more to make it easier. I did some manual manipulation of the extracted csv files in an excel spreadsheet before they would import easily. I think a lot of that could be automated.

I'm also going to take a look at syncing up the google calendar with my mobile device (a blackberry in my case, but there are other plug-ins on google as well)

I'm going to write up some instructions and post them somewhere on BT (in a Forum that makes sense)
First I'm going to search to see if someone's already posted instructions or if there is already a google plugin for something like this.

I'll post the link when there is something to look at. 

2010-04-15 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2793454

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
rbriggz - 2010-04-15 9:44 AM Just FYI if anyone is interested.

I've figured out how to export a plan from BT Planned Training Log and import it into my Google Calendar.
The cool thing about this is -  the Swim, Bike, Run & Strength Training are all imported as separate events.
This allows you to schedule the time of day for your workouts.

Something i was struggling with on days where there were two workouts.

I'd love to do the same with a nutrition plan and be able to schedule when i need to shop and cook so that i can eat the right things when i want.
I'm going to work on that next.

I have to play with it a little more to make it easier. I did some manual manipulation of the extracted csv files in an excel spreadsheet before they would import easily. I think a lot of that could be automated.

I'm also going to take a look at syncing up the google calendar with my mobile device (a blackberry in my case, but there are other plug-ins on google as well)

I'm going to write up some instructions and post them somewhere on BT (in a Forum that makes sense)
First I'm going to search to see if someone's already posted instructions or if there is already a google plugin for something like this.

I'll post the link when there is something to look at. 

This is a link to the POST i put in similar thread that alread existed in the "Training Log and Site Support" Forum

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=102474&posts=10#M2793505

It has more detailed instructions on how to get the data ready to import to a google calendar

Edited by rbriggz 2010-04-15 9:28 AM
2010-04-15 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2793136

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-15 11:16 AM

What kind of diet are you doing?  How many calories are you taking in?  Nutrition is always a tough one.  I have toyed with a couple of diets.  It's a lot of trial and error to find the one that best fits your lifestyle, or else it's just a fad.  Do you take anything while you are training?

Hi Josh, since feb time i have not dieted while training, just watched what i eaten a little more, but this went to pot in march when my b/day came as every weekend was a big one socially. I think my calorie intake is probably an average of 2500 per day over a week. So my typical day is cereal for b/fast, banana, sandwich, banana, more fruit, then home from work and have a meal but by this time i am hungry and load up the plate so i think i need to eat more in the day to avoid the binge eating in the evening, huge plate of food and snacks etc when i get in, thats my downfall really. But i dont know what i should eat during the day, and then its a case of re-educating mrs T at dinner time too. humm.........
2010-04-15 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2794509

User image

Expert
Boston
Tiesim - 2010-04-15 3:35 PM
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-15 11:16 AM

Hi Josh, since feb time i have not dieted while training, just watched what i eaten a little more, but this went to pot in march when my b/day came as every weekend was a big one socially. I think my calorie intake is probably an average of 2500 per day over a week. So my typical day is cereal for b/fast, banana, sandwich, banana, more fruit, then home from work and have a meal but by this time i am hungry and load up the plate so i think i need to eat more in the day to avoid the binge eating in the evening, huge plate of food and snacks etc when i get in, thats my downfall really. But i dont know what i should eat during the day, and then its a case of re-educating mrs T at dinner time too. humm.........

Eating your meals/snacks at regular intervals thru out the day help keep your insulin levels even.   When it spikes, it tends to hold on to fat and create more.   I eat something every 3 hours.  I take a small cooler with me to work and stock with meals to microwave or if I am on the road...good healthy snacks - granola, protien shake, salads, cottage cheese w/ fruit, etc....  I also find that logging in calories helps teach you about those bites that you take while standing in front of the refridgerator door.    I started off following the Zone diet for awhile to get the weight off  ccarb 40% Pro 30% Fat 30% and now I am working with a nutritionist to tweak the timing of my carbs.   

Weight loss and body recompostioning is a life long endeavor.  Like Josh said you gotta find something that works for you or else it is just a fad diet which usually are destined to fail.    
2010-04-16 1:55 AM
in reply to: #2793454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
OOOh yes please for the instructions and the syn with Blackberry, I would be very happy if I could do this!Cool
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27