United States
Iron Girl
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 38s
Overall Rank = 812/841
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 175/177
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am. Got dressed (everything was laid out last night), made myself breakfast of two whole wheat toaster waffles w/ Smart Balance peanut butter and honey. Brought that in the car with a water bottle and a banana, and hit the road at 4:45. Ended up driving through Starbucks for coffee, too, and was glad I did: it was at that point I realized I left the water bottle that fits in my waist belt in the fridge. Decided to scoot home for that (SO glad I did!) and then headed down to Clearwater. Arrived at the hotel and parked. Got my bag and shirt (best giveaway ever: hair elastics!), dropped them back into the car, got my number. Had to use the restroom twice -- combo of water+coffee+jitters -- and the lines were pretty long the second time.
Event warmup:

Went outside and walked up and down the beach a little to stay warm. Did some light stretching (but also snapped some photos!). It was around 65 degrees at the start.
Run
  • 2h 15m 38s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 14m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off waaay too fast -- it's hard not to when you are surrounded by so many people. When I looked down and saw 10:15 as my pace I hit the breaks and tried to bring myself down to a more sustainable 13:30 or so, and that was kind of my goal. But the second I hit the bridge, I knew I wouldn't be able to run the whole thing. Did I mention that bridge is HUGE? Just really really steep. The 5Kers went halfway up and then turned around, but we had to scale the whole thing. That was around mile 2, and I walked the most of the bridge up and ran it down.

Once in Clearwater, my right leg started feeling really funky. My foot and all the way up my leg was tingly and half-numb. I stopped to walk, hoping I could get whatever was causing this to stop, and it didn't, so I went back to running. It stayed that way for around three miles -- and at one point, the bottom of my left foot was numb, too. But at around mile 6.5 or so, it miraculously stopped and all feeling came back into my right leg and left foot.

I could have done without the damn banana. There was a guy dressed as a banana who was a volunteer and also, from what I gathered, had coached some of the gals doing the race. At the first water stop (just before the bridge) he was cheering and giving high fives (alongside and Elvis and a Marilyn Monroe) and that was all well and good. But then he blazed past me in his !#@$#% banana costume as I was crossing the bridge. Sure enough, there he was at the next rest stop. (It was at this point that I noticed the M-Dot tatoo on his inner bicep; so all of this was a cakewalk for him, even in a hot banana costume). Blazed past me AGAIN after a mile or so and was at the NEXT rest stop. I felt a little better after I saw the tattoo, but dang, it's demoralizing to keep getting passed by someone who was literally standing still for large portions of the race!

The Clearwater side was the same loop twice. The second time, it seemed to go so much faster! Maybe because I recognized the landmarks, I don't know. I pretty much ran all of miles 4-7. Then, we got to the bridge again. Oy. Up I walked again. On the other side, a nice guy said to me "this is what you trained for -- the last mile!" and that choked me up a little. But he kinda lied -- it was a bit further to MM8, and it's not just 9 miles, it's 9.3 miles. I walked quite a bit of mile 9, sadly. But I did run in and finish strong for the last quarter mile, at least. As we were coming around the corner toward the finish<, I could hear the awards already being given out, and saw a lot of gals heading to their cars already. I had to say "excuse me, I'm slow!" so they realized I was still trying to finish, but once they realized, they were very, very supportive and about 20 gals started clapping and cheering.

Well, I wasn't last. In my AG I was third-from-last. the nice thing about being at the total back of the pack, though, is that the finish announcer had no one else to focus on -- she announced my name, my town, and then started riffing on my Cornell shirt. The attention at the finish was sweet.

I think I did OK with nutrition. I had my own water when I needed it, but also took from at least three of the water stations (and there was more than three). I ran out of water around mile 8, but I was fine to get to th end. I had a packet of Shot Blocks and I took one at mile 3, one at mile 6, and then my tummy started grumbling so I finished off the bag over the course of mile 7-8.
What would you do differently?:

More hills in training, and just more training. Also, I wish I had had a bigger breakfast -- my tummy was RUMBLY with hunger by mile 7 or so.

Also, I bought swim gear, but chickened out mostly due to time constraint. I wish I had just hopped in the water, since I waited over an HOUR to get out of the parking lot and on my way.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and some water and wandered over to the tent area where they were giving out race results. Hooked up with the two older women who had walked the whole thing (we kept jockying back and forth and finally they did, in fact, finish before me -- the 70 year old won her age group!). I just needed to walk, and chatting with them was a nice distraction. One kindly let me use her phone to call DH, too. Got to cheer the last finishers over the line before heading out. According to my car dash, the temp was 80 degrees when we I was leaving at 11:30.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough base miles, and not enough practice with hills.

Event comments:

Great food tent, but the lines were so long by the time I finished, I had to skip it. Volunteers were awesome and everyone is so very encouraging. Hardest part was getting out of the parking garage and off of Clearwater Bech when it was all over. Heck, in the end, I even made peace with the banana.

Pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dineen/sets/72157623826627016/

Postscript: Dan, a.k.a. "the banana" and I have truly made peace, between our discussions on this thread and offline. He also gave me a fabulous pep talk, the conclusion of which deserves a more public airing. So, with his permission:

"It will get easier, but do not let anyone passing you (even a banana) get you down. Everyone starts somewhere its the fact that you are doing it that counts. Even the best runners were once novices."

I hope anyone reading this and considering their first 15K race will take this advice! I hope to see Dan out there again next year.

Last updated: 2010-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:38 | 9.32 miles | 14m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/177
Overall: 0/841
Performance: Good
My Garmin said I went a bit further -- 9.76 miles. Wonder why that is.
Course: First 2 miles fairly flat, then a HUGE bridge/hill into Clearwater proper. Two loops through town, then back over that HUGE bridge/hill and back to Pier 60. The finish was a little confusing to us back of packers, if only because by that time the course was swarming with beachgoers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-10 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: Aflac Iron Girl 15K

2010-04-10 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2782369

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Aflac Iron Girl 15K

Great race report, Dineen! I'm very proud of you. You really sucked it up on that hill and even when your leg was numb. Sometimes weird stuff happens on runs and you really don't know why. If your leg continues to get numb you might want to have it checked. Otherwise, it might have been a fleeting thing. It would have ticked me off about the banana man, too. M-dot or not! Did you get the aflac duck? I have two from previous Iron Girl 10K's. They're a hoot!

Nice, nice job. Give yourself a nice treat -- foot massage?, pedi? new socks? You deserve it!!

2010-04-10 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

Good job Dineen!  You should be proud of yourself, that foot thing would have freaked me out.  I think everybody who is BOP has "Bannana man" type stories.  I've been past by Kermit the frog, a guy juggling, a group of guys dressed as reindeer pulling Santa in his sleigh.... 

2010-04-10 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Congrats!  The Irongirl series is a great set of races... we have a brand new one in Racine, WI that I am signed up for and am looking forward to!  Nice job keeping at it... you are an IRONGIRL!!!

2010-04-10 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
For you, Lynn -- a girl and her duck:

The duck totally cracks me up -- when you squeeze it, it quacks" AFLAC AFLAC AAAAFFFFLLAAAAAAC."  She's getting a place of honor on my desk at worik, I think.
2010-04-10 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2782914

User image

Master
Vista, CA

LOVE IT!! It's got a cute little jacket this year. Awwwww! I'm not able to do the Iron girl this year since it's a week after my marathon. Don't think I'll be up to a 5K or 10K, unless it's just for laughs and that cute little duck!!

2010-04-11 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
WOO-HOO!! You had a really great race, and I enjoyed reading your race report. That is a cool duck. I wish I could get a duck like that

You ROCK!!
2010-04-11 10:05 AM

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
Great race report. I like the way you write. I have never run longer than a 10 K and I think you did an awsome job on your race. Nice pictures too.
2010-04-21 11:18 AM

I just wanted to make a comment on the "banana man."  To be honest, that particular volunteer was my good friend and he actually was asked by Irongirl to serve in that position, one that, obviously, can be a bit embarrassing.  However, he is well-versed in triathlons and Ironman races and knows the grueling experience of completing a race like this.  He once did his first race and knows the struggles and challenges.  He also knows women, including my aunt and his own wife, who were participating in the event and who struggle and try their hardest at these events. It was an effort to help, inspire and if nothing else, bring a silly smile to participants who were trying to get through their race, possibly taking their minds off what they were demanding of their bodies - even if just for a brief moment.

I'm willing to bet the lone woman who was on her second round of chemotherapy with which he jogged the last three miles and crossed the finish line did not find him annoying in the least.
2010-04-21 1:28 PM

Dineen-

First off, I would like to congratulate you on finishing your longest race to date in the AFLAC IronGirl event held in Clearwater. It sounds like it was a successful event for you and almost everything went well. I read your post about the one thing that you "could have done without" and felt obligated to respond to that particular portion of your post. It struck me personally as I was the man who was dressed as the banana during the race.

I was asked by IronGirl to dress up in costume and help out with the race while attending a race expo for an event held in Jacksonville, FL . At first, I was hesitant but then embraced the opportunity to be a part of such a great event/series that inspires women of all skill levels to test themselves both physically and mentally.

Yes, I may have an M-Dot tattooed on the inside of my arm, but at one point I was a beginner triathlete who felt intimidated when standing on the starting line. I have overcome some of those fears, but as you grow in the sport your goals change and not once have I ever stood on the starting line without a rush of nervous energy running through my body. I embrace it and this sport that I started a few years back has become a lifestyle and has helped me inspire others that I know. The M-Dot symbolizes a journey that many may never take, but for those that do, it is a thrill and accomplishment that no one can take from you.

I was told by IronGirl that I could run to the "Entertainment Zone" and mingle with spectators and runners throughout the course. I started off at the beginning of the race and when I got to the first water station realized that they did not have enough people or water set up, so I stayed and helped until the initial wave went through and then proceeded to the bridge and into the entertainment zone. I interacted with the runners, crowd and stopped for pictures with many of the runners throughout the race. I handed out water, gave encouragement and tried to take runner's mind off the grueling race they were competing in. I gave some advice to some runner's but never coached anyone in the race. I was there for entertainment purposes and to help create an enjoyable atmosphere for everyone involved.

I was out on the course form the start of the race until almost three hours later when I crossed the finish line with one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. This woman had two previous battles with cancer and was undergoing her third. This was more than a race to her, it was proving to herself that she could overcome her current bout with cancer and finish the race she had signed up for before she was once again diagnosed. When I caught up to her she was walking alone and I walked the final 3.5 miles with her. We talked about life, family, and races. All she kept saying was, " I do not care about my time, or if I am last I just want to finish." Imagine trying to do that alone. Now she can call herself a IronGirl finisher.

For the most part, I thought I helped to inspire and rejuvenate runners during their journey. I was not there to make people feel bad or embarrass them. This was something I was asked to help out with and I did because I believe in what Ironman/IronGirl represent and how they have helped sculpt my life as well as thousands of others.

2010-04-21 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2807605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Daniel,
Thanks for your post.  I was attempting to be light and humorous about it, not personally insulting to you.  I did not intend to call out your sincerity in being a helpful volunteer -- all of the volunteers, as I said in my conclusion, were awesome and encouraging, and I definitely include you in that group.  So, let me say again, thank you for volunteering.  I just meant that at that moment, as I was struggling up that bridge and had to give up and walk (when my main goal in the race was to just run the whole thing, and here I was, failing at that goal by mile 2), it was demoralizing to be passed...by a banana.  Here I am, barely moving, and someone in a hot costume is able to breeze past me like I am standing still.   My reference to your tattoo was intended as a compliment -- no wonder you can handle running blazing fast past me uphill in a banana costume, you've done so much more than that already! 

I was just trying to convey the mental hoops I had to go through with myself, at that moment, to keep myself motivated at that moment, on that hill, when you whizzed by me when I was really struggling.   I have a lot of struggles with staying motivated when I am so. darn. slow. that I am being passed by 70 year old speed walkers (also mentioned in my race report) or friends who have not trained at all when I've been putting in a lot of time (which happened at my last race).    I am pushing 40.  I am obese.  And I am NOT a natural athlete, and have never been an athlete until I got off the couch six months ago. (Honestly, I am still not ready to call myself an athlete). The thing that I really "could have done without" was the mental mind games that being passed by a banana did to me at that moment.  I was carrying enough baggage up that bridge.  I was just using your  banana costume as a metaphor.

I don't mean to denigrate in any way you role as race support  -- I agree with you that having a smiling face offering water and high fives and loads of encouragement during a race is priceless, and you performed that service for hundreds of runners that day.   And really, I am in awe of your speed and the fact that you were running to each successive stop and helping out (and I can't even fathom the hard work that you've put in to get to that point). I tried to convey this, too, by finishing my race report by saying "in the end, I even made peace with the banana" -- what I meant was, I very much realized what you were out there to do, and was glad you were out there to do it.  

Best,
Dineen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl 15K Rss Feed