General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, Washington, D.C.
United States
Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 41s
Overall Rank = 6503/
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 395/422
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, PB Muff, water. Try to decide how cool or warm it will be. Decided on 2 T's, one long sleeve and shorts
Event warmup:

Walk from metro and around the area. Got there around 7:20. Drank a little more water.
Run
  • 1h 54m 41s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

If you're looking for a fast run, this is not the run you are looking for. My goal for this run was completion.

Started out, and right away I knew I was going to be too warm. About 2.5 miles in, I stripped off the long sleeve T and tied it around my waist while continuing to run. Much better. My first several miles my Garmin was indicating was running slightly sub 11 minute miles. I was very happy with that, since most of my training was done 11+. Shorter runs were a little less than 11, and track work was 9:30-10. I felt very good, but knew that I would be slowing down at some point. The crowds were carrying me a little faster than I wanted to go, but I was very disciplined to look at my watch to keep my pace at least down to 11. Halfway thru the race, the mile marker was .10 more than my Garmin. I didn't like that, and knew my pace was going to be affected. Stopped for all the waters except the first one. Had sips of gatorade at the last 3. Water stations were not so great since I always had to wait for them to pour water. Took a gu at 4 and 7.5. Overall, I hit nutritiona and water just right. Felt pretty good the whole race. I probably could have done about :15 overall faster, but due to my bad off-season with a painful hamstring and gaining 30+ pounds back, I'm pleased that I made and I'm still running a year later.

At the end of the race, my Garmin indicated 11:18, and 10.14 miles. I'm happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

Not gain weight during the off-season. It's a struggle.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, had 2 waters, banana, and a muffin. Walked to the metro and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight. Also, my road runner inserts have been feeling like a rock was in my shoes. There has always been a rub mark on my inner arches. Sunday, they became full fledged blisters, and my next run on Tuesday, they opened up. Good-bye road runner inserts.

Event comments:

The drink stations were very crowded. Someone here mentioned skipping the first tables and going to the later ones, but that didn't really seem to help. All the drink stations were behind on have filled cups. No cups were ready to go, and you had to wait for them to be poured. This probably added up to a fair amount of time.

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:41 | 10 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 395/422
Overall: 6903/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, tended to be ery crowded during the start, and where it went down to one lane
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-18 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Rss Feed