Howard County Striders
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 34s
Overall Rank = 132/612
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had cereal and a plum for breakfast about 2 hours before the race. Arrived a little over an hour early because I wasn't sure where the race actually started. Found the start very quickly. I was going to go sleep in the truck for a while but ran into Kirk on the way back so I hung out with him.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and tried to stay warm. The didn't have a bag drop so about 20 minutes before he start I went back to the truck and dropped all my stuff off. Jogged back to the start and stretched some more. Basically just tried to keep moving and keep warm. Ran into Brent.
Run
  • 45m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall I had a great run. Last few races haven't gone well. I've either been too conservative or not pushed myself when things got hard. So the plan for this race was to hard and either hang on or learn what it felt like to really blow up. Kind of a ridiculous plan I realize but this was supposed to be a learning experience. In the end I did something something pretty close to the hang on plan. Also wanted to set a new VDOT value cause the training paces I've been using just seem to easy.

I started out near the front and ran 6:45/mile for about the first 1/3 of a mile. I didn't think I could hold this but didn't want to try to reign it in like past races. I ended up holding this until the first hill then slowed (due to the hill) to around 7:15ish. Came off the top of the hill and tried to keep in in the 7:00-7:15 range because this felt really good. Got jammed up on the stretch near Avalon prior to the turn on to 108. We were running on the shoulder/parking lane and there was about 5 of us at nearly the same speed. I couldn't really pass anyone without being really aggressive and pushing through. Ended up slowing down a bit until one guy broke through and I jumped on his tail. Actually got excited when my legs felt a little tired going up the hill on 108 so I tried to pick it up a little. In reality I didn't really pick it up but was able to keep it around 7:30 for the whole length of the hill and passed quite a few people. Tried to pick up the pace for mile 5. It felt like I was but looking at my splits it looks like I just got back to my pace prior to the hill. Felt great when I saw the "Mile 5" sign so I tried to pick it up again, really happy with the 6:55 split for that mile. Really tried to pick it up when we turned back onto Little Patuxent for the last stretch. Looked at my watch right at the end and I was doing nearly 6:00! Granted the was just the last 200 meters or so but I was booking!
What would you do differently?:

Overall very happy with the race. Training (see below) would have helped also would have run a little more aggressively at the start and when I got jammed up behind people.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water. Ran into Brian and chatted a bit. Looked for Brent but couldn't find him. Got cold waiting for Kirk so went back to my truck to get pants and jacket.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really training or knowing what a reasonable goal was. I loosely followed the Hal Higdon marathon recovery plan and signed up for this as a way to stay motivated to keep training after Shamrock. I had done a few 20 minute tempo runs at 7:30/mile on the treadmill and was hoping to try to hold this. Would definitely like to train more specifically for a 10k and see how I can do.

Event comments:

Pretty big local race, 1000+ people. HoCo Striders did a good job organizing it and Clyde's did a great job with the post race chow. Lots of fruit, bagels, etc plus some hot food (looked like pasta and soup). Also had beer, but 9:30 on a Sunday seemed a little early for that. HoCo police provided a lot of support keeping roads closed.

HoCo Striders posts the results based on clock time and chip time separately and don't list things by age group. Not sure why but no big deal. (My time above reflects chip time.)

Definitely will do this again and see why it is a popular race.

Last updated: 2010-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:34 | 06.21 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/612
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:17, 165 HR Mile 2: 7:16, 168 HR Mile 3: 7:22, 169 HR Mile 4: 7:29, 169 HR Mile 5: 7:15, 172 HR Mile 6: 6:55, 173 HR
Course: Started out going south on Little Patuxent near Clyde's. Went around the mall then back on to Little Patuxent for a bit before cutting down Columbia Rd through the Fairway Hills golf course. Miles 3-4 were through Fairway Hills then on to rt 108. Several small hills throughout the course but this section coming out of Fairway Hills and the whole time on 108 was up hill. Rest of the course wound through the neighborhoods until getting back on to Little Patuxent and a straight shot to the finish (which was basically the start).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes