General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on empty...Normal 2 weeks before IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-19 9:33 AM

User image

New user
Chandler
Subject: Running on empty...Normal 2 weeks before IM?
Ok, this is really frustrating to me. I have a coach here in Phoenix ho tells me it is normal but I have never been here before so I am looking for some insight from vets out there.

I have my first IM in St George in 12 days. I have been following my coaches recs to the letter. Got my weight down to where we were hoping for it to be and have been sleeping as much as possible (I have 4 kids, a 3 yr old still in our bed - a whole other topic I know - I commute over an hr a day for work, have been putting in 15-22 hrs a week of training and usually have to commute at least 45 min each way to get in the hill workouts 3-4 times a week in prep for IMSG). Whew! Oh yeah, wife trains to and she works and does all the family stuff. I am lucky I know!!!!

I feel that I peaked a few weeks ago - mentally, physically, etc. I have been more tired as we started to taper the long distances last week and my performances on my runs, bikes seems to be dropping back to me. Coach has been reassuring. I am just not happy now knowing if this is common at this point and next week I will ffeel like I am as prepared as Nick (the Coach) says I am.

My legs feel so tired and I do not feel like I am recovering between workouts at all. This is a pretty light week but just getting freaked out a bit..

Appreciate any thoughts, advice, etc.

2010-04-19 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2800982

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Running on empty...Normal 2 weeks before IM?
Yes, it's normal. If you've been training hard, you're going to be tired. That's why you taper. In fact, you should feel the most exhausted right at the start of the taper. In about a week, you're going to be chomping at the bit.
2010-04-19 10:30 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
x2.  Can't really worry about it now.. because there is nothing you can do about it.  Also you should have some aches and pains kicking in soon as muscles repair that will undermine you confidence and make you feel like you may not make it to the starting line because of some nagging pain or other.  All normal.
2010-04-19 11:54 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

what they said ^^^

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on empty...Normal 2 weeks before IM? Rss Feed