Blue Sky Sports
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 33s
Overall Rank = 428/438
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 28/28
Pre-race routine:

Arrived the night before to drive the bike and run routes - OMG, what a hill immediately after coming out of the park.
Got up early to have a little coffe and protein shake; Left the hotel early enough to beat the crowd and set up transition area. Set up, walked the entry and exit routes. Walked down to the swim area, relaxed.
Event warmup:

Acclimated to the 82 degree water by doing a little swimming and stretching. Visited with the other age groupers and Clydes. Visualization for the swim portion and relaxation to get the HR ready for the start.
Swim
  • 20m 30s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

What can I say...I blew up on the swim. Not comfortable with mass start and the crush of bodies, even on the outside. Couldn't get stroke settled down; couldn't breathe; HR to the max immediately. Doing side stroke and back stroke to calm down for first 200 meters. Began to settle into a rhythm and the next start group begins to crawl up my back; get to the outside; out of synch again; stroke, can't breathe properly. 16+ mins out of water, which oddly is the pace I'd expected to swim anyway - I guess I went out too hard. Run/walk 100 yards uphill from swim to transition;
What would you do differently?:

More OW practice; more open water practice; more open water practice. I can comfortably swim 2000 meters in a pool for workouts, but the OW swim blew me away.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Seemed pretty good to me. Rip everything off and put on helmet and glasses, take off.

Put gloves on in transition, or leave them off - more on that later. Don't do stupid things.
Bike
  • 50m 27s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 15.22 mile/hr
Comments:

So I decide that I'll save a little time by not putting on gloves in transition; hit the mount line and start to put on gloves - BAD idea. Into the ditch, head over heels, crashing into my shoulder and head. Kid walking by thinks I'm dead, but I get up - declining assistance of course, ask if he sees any bones or blood - which he doesn't, manage to find my gloves and take off. I don't realize until later that I lost the left lens to my sunglasses and road the entire bike portion with one lens. The hill out of the park is a killer for 3/4 mile. Even spinning in low gears HR is maxed again. The rest of the ride is pretty good with rolling hills and then back down the mother of all hills back into the park.

Don't try to put gloves on while riding, Stupid. Otherwise, ok.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Bike time includes transition time; I'm close to the edge, so I say what the heck, sit and put on shoes; take a little more time than usual.

none
Run
  • 42m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Can't get it together, and can't get my HR down. Team up with another guy and we walk/run what should have been an easy 3.1 miles for me. I was ready for it, save blowing up on the swim and the crash into the ditch.

nothing, other than avoid the swimming and biking problems which impacted the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and shuffled to the EMTs to make sure nothing was broken or seriously injured beyond repair. Ice and Ace bandage is all they do. Both shoulders and neck are sore and mildly painful to move.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim mistakes and bike mishap

Event comments:

Blue Sky put on a good race; I wish I had performed better for them. More training and get ready for the next in 5 weeks.

Last updated: 2005-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:30 | 600 meters | 03m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/438
Performance: Bad
170 HR out of the water
Suit: none
Course: 600m triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:27 | 12.8 miles | 15.22 mile/hr
Performance: Average
HR 150+ coming into transition area;
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back; huge hill right out of the park; otherwise rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:52 | 03.1 miles | 13m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Finally got HR down to normal; running until HR gets too high, then walking
Course: Out and back, rolling hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 9:03 AM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Indian Springs Tri the Parks

2005-06-26 4:18 PM
in reply to: #183739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Indian Springs Tri the Parks
Sorry about your bike accident. Happens to the best of us. I had a similar swim on my last sprint. This one was not much better. james
2005-06-26 7:54 PM
in reply to: #183924

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Thanks; only my pride is still hurting today; time to get back on the horse and ride.
2005-06-26 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains

I'm like you - my first tri at the end of May saw my HR skyrocket during the swim.  I need to learn to calm down before my next OW swim. 

Will you be doing the Richard Russell State Park Tri?  That'll be my first Oly distance. 

SR

2005-06-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #184067

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Absolutely; I registered for RB Russell at same time as Indian Springs, and it will be my first Olympic distance as well.

I'm going to spend the next 5 weeks getting in some serious OWS time at the lake.

Now that my pride is somewhat healed I'm committed to making sure it doesn't happen again.
2005-06-27 9:57 AM

User image

Giver
Sorry about the crash, but it's impressive that you regrouped and finished. Way to go!

2005-06-27 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
What is it about OW that makes us freak out?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indian Springs Tri the Parks Rss Feed