View Member's Race Log
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
Total Time = 2h 49m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00am, took the dog for a quick walk, grabbed a cup of coffee and a homemade egg, cheese, ham bagel and loaded up the van. CindyK and I got to the race site at about 545am and met up with Ty and Brenda (who were both kind enough to help Cindy out with her team). Finished getting marked (we had pre-registered yesterday) and finding the bike rack and getting set up.
Event warmup:

Since this was my first tri, I saw a lot of people running and taking their bikes out for a warmup and a few getting into the lake, I thought it would be better to just "observe" and do a little very light stretching out. Didnt really feel any case of the jitters so I felt pretty comfortable starting the race.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Havent seen any of the split times yet so not sure of the exact times. I felt really comfortable with the swim. Decided to start in the back and on the outside of my wave. Had some trouble with the navigation, probably crossed the buoy line a couple of times. I need practice.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming straight. Lots of wasted time and distance today.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems with T1. Took it a little slow to make sure I didn't miss or forget anything.

Not sure if I would change much. Practice of course makes perfect and watching how other people set up their areas gave me a couple of good ideas.
Bike
  • 1h 17m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out and went faster than I really wanted too. The ride itself felt great. I was comfortable with the pace I set but that was the adreneline talking to me. Had a little trouble with my front shifter when I was trying to change gears and it felt like the brakes were stuck for a while but post race doesnt show any problems other than the operator.

Slow down. The speed I kept really had a negative effect on the run. I was just too spent (and I even knew better). I had planned on keeping in the 16-18mph range but really let my ego get the best of me. I only had one Hammergel during the ride and think I should have had my first one a little bit earlier and a second one just prior to getting off the bike (which may have helped a little with the run).
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems but as with T1, just took my time and made sure I had everything right. Took an extra drink of water on my way out of T2.

Not too much for this race.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Very hilly and difficult for me. First lap really took me by surprise. I was "spent" from the ride and was very very slow. Decided 1/2 way through the first loop that my main goal for the remainder of the run was to just not stop and walk. Goal accomplished but not too much else. I had a really nasty cramp halfway through the second loop. I was not prepared for the course difficulty (I will be next year though!)

Going to get in a little cross country trail running before I try a similar course.
Post race
Warm down:

Just a cool down walk and drank some water. Later tried to eat some pasta but did not have much of an urge to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Main problem today was not having a lot of experience navigating and not being prepared for the difficulty of the run. Both of which are "fixable" problems.

Event comments:

Overall, not a bad first experience. I know where my weaknesses are and what I will need to work on to improve my time for the next one.

I wanted to use this first triathlon to establish a benchmark for myself to determine my progress in future events.

I had a good time and did enjoy myself so I guess that is what is really important.

Last updated: 2005-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Parallel to the shoreout, simple out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:00 | 24.8 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills through Lake Geneva. No major hills, a couple of small steep climbs and some gentle climbs. Nice ride through some pretty country.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 06.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Cross Country trail course. 3.1 mile loop (2 loops for the Olympic).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: Big Foot

2005-06-26 7:20 PM
in reply to: #183993

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Big Foot
Mark,

What a great first oly!

Sounds like you've got it nailed for what to do differently for your next one.  Keeping control and racing 'your' race is hard, but it pays off when you hit the run ready to go.

For nutrition, I do two gels on the bike, just like you're thinking about.  1st one about 10 minutes in, 2nd one about 10-15 min before the end.  That works out well for me.

Awesome job to gut out that run ( it did get hot out there ) and not walk it!

-C
2005-06-26 8:08 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Nice report Mark! You really seem to be a natural at tris. You know what you need to do and you will do it. Once again, congratulations!
2005-06-27 8:56 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice job Mark!!!!   Maybe it's a good thing you don't listen to that part of the brain that says, "ease up a bit" and keep hammering through. 

ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005-06-27 11:11 AM
in reply to: #184280

User image

Master
Nice race

Like you this was my first Oly, and that run killed me too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Rss Feed