General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing exciting. Had pbj bagel, some diet mnt dew and a banana. Got my tires pumped up. Hung out- my wave didnt go out til 8:10... meh. Didnt forget mywetsuit or anything!
Event warmup:

Decided to get in the water... I have never done a salt water swim before. Havent done an OWS since Austin! Yuck... dont like salt water so much. Got used to it though. Did cut my feet a little on the clam shells.... lol- great start. Had a gel and got ready to go.
Swim
  • 41m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a tough swim. It was chopppy and there must have been a current cuz it just took forever. This was actually a decent swim for me compared to others in my AG.
I did not find the salt water any more bouyant either!
What would you do differently?:

sight a little better.

Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

wasnt in a huge hurry for some reason. just got my stuff together and was off.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 51m
  • 56 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

UGH!! So right when I get out of T1 I realize soemthing is worng at first I think my front tire is rubbing...damn- no a flat. Almost the same damn thing taht happened to me at Racine in 08. So I get off my bike nad before havinga majormeltdown I realize I can run my bike back to T1 and then over to Bike support and havethem fix it for me. I can do it but when Im stressed and freaked out- its not always so pretty :)
So..... I run it over there, I get yelled at for running back and forth over the mat,lol. The guy was super cool. He grabs my bike rushed tells me to relax and head over to bike out and he will run my bike overthere for me. He says he has on running shoes and can it there much quicker then I. Sweet:)
Meanwhile- I am walking over there and the timing guy comes up to me and says "hey- your the girl in the documentary!" yep- so I try to shmooze and have him fix my time to NOT include the flat. Nope- I guess stardom
gets you nowhere ;)
According to the garmin it took alittle over 6 minutes for all this... much faster thenI would have been although stillput a bit of a bummer on my day.
I then was torn between catch up or give up. Seeing as I was easilypassing people one by one on the bike I just decided to race my race and not worry about 6 minutes.
We had crosswinds the whole way...much more of a headwind the way out so the tailwind on the way back was great.
18.6 on the way out- flat time included 175 watts
20.6 on the way in 161 watts
My garmin had me at 20.3. 20.3 Im OK with 19.6 not so much....lol
HR was really high the first 10-20 miles- probaly from my flat freak out. Relaxed and got it down.. I like it low Z4 for these (164ish), AHR was 166.
Really uneventful ride for me. Was all along the ocastline and superflat- so that was different for me! Continued to pass people (that happens whenyou are in the 2cnd last wave!) I forgot my wing so had just one waterbottle cage. Hit all the aid stations and kept up on nutrition fairly well...maybe a little shirt on cal but fluid was good.
It was starting to get HOT too!!!
I kind of liked this ride- I mean I am definitly used to the wind and havingthe PT it really doesnt get to me as much.
I did some tweaking to my bike the day before, we actually inverted the seatclamp and got my seat almost an inch lower.... probaly not the smartest time to do this but my seat NEEDED to be lower.... it felt fine though.

ummm... not get a flat? It is always something with me!!!

Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

yeah...not a whole lot of urgency here either...lol.
Racked my bike grabbed my stuff and went. Decided because of just coming off my injury to wear my regular running shoes with my orthodics rather then my Zoots- so it took a little longer to get my socks and shoes on.

PUT ON SUNSCREEM..... duh duh duh.... I mean why would I need sunscreen I was only out there 5 or 6 hours and Im used to training in 50 degree weather and its 80s... dumb dumb dumb!!!
Run
  • 2h 09m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

plan was to stay mid Z3 for the first half and then see what I had left! Ha... didnt really ever feel like running. One time I thought I was running pretty fast and it was like a 9:15 pace...lol.
I knew my run might not be there.. I mean I have only been running since the end of Febuary so Im not gonna get to upset about it! It was super hot and sunny too.
I think Id did ok with hydration nutrition, 3 gels some oarnge slices and lots of water.
I had to pee since the bike and was hoping it just go away but finally stopped around mile 9- I hoped it make me feel better and let me run faster the last lap- not much luck there!
I was very happy for the wind on the run:)
The best thing was I didnt have the breathing issues I had last year:)
I did bring my inhaler and used it once but really it was like 100x better.

I felt like I could have run faster but my legs or my brain maybe just wouldnt really go faster! Oh well
Post race
Warm down:

sat down and pouted a little while- then got over it and got soem food. Signed some autographs, got my picture taken...you know all the good stuff ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probaly had no reason to expect a great HIM performance in april seeing as I live in WI:)
Was a good gauge of performance though! I know what I need to work on.

Event comments:

This was areally good race- the only thing I didnt like was the run course.... 4 loops is just too many

Last updated: 2010-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:00 | 56 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:09:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 4 laps that made you dizzy and completely disorientated!! Yeeesh... they need a better run course!!! They have so many great places they could take us but they wind us around and around... No shade either!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 7:47 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2010-04-26 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2818258

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
I'm glad you decided not to let the six minutes bother you and went on to race as best you can. Great job Tammy!
2010-04-26 8:48 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Way to come back post-tire issue!  Glad they had help for you and glad it happened at the bike out and not on the way out there!! You were easy to spot on the course with the Donkey jersey!! Glad you felt strong on the run--great especially for a WI gal to come to TX and not let that heat beat her!! Well done!

So glad I got to meet you this weekend--wish we'd had more time, saw your friend Chris at the end of my race, but I was sort of delusional at the time as well.  hope your travel home went well!!
2010-04-27 6:13 AM

User image

Elite

Nice job Tammy.  Your attitude has greatly improved as far as dealing with adversity.  I remember pitching a fit last year because I got a flat right out of transition.  Hard to stay positive in that situation and you did a great job of it and ended strong.  Way to go.

2010-04-27 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Great way of overcoming obstacles and have solid race!

Smart way to handle the flat, get it taken care of and move on with your bike.

It was great to meet you in person and race with you. You looked good on the run as you passed me a couple times.

Salt water with current, heat and wind all new things for us who train and live up north. What were we thinking when we signed up for this race living up where we do?

Edited by KathyG 2010-04-27 6:55 AM
2010-04-27 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Awesome job! Definitly an inspiration

2010-04-27 9:44 AM

User image

Excellent Race Report and a well managed race. I have to say that you have really come along way since Thanksgiving and it has been great to watch. I have to tell you Tam that you have really been training with some passion and some real smarts since your injury. You are absolutely correct, this race was a guage for where you are with your fitness. I believe you are doing great. The best part for me is that you didn't have the breathing issues off the bike that you did in 2009. I mean think about it, it was hot as in Galveston and you had no breathing issues!!! Fantastic..

Um, yeah... Sunscreen would have been great.. I am still in pain from the sun burn I got..

You are an inspiration and a truly great coach, person and athlete..

Looking forward to what the rest of your season will bring... Keep up the excellent progression, your time is coming!!!!

2010-04-27 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Entertaining race report Tam! 

Have to agree with the Texastriman      Great person, terrific coach and inspirational athlete!

Have to steal a line from some movie I saw once.   "The courage to get to the starting line"   Really you KNEW that you were not up to peak form before entering this event.  But you set your mind on it and decided that you would sign up anyhow and do the best you could "under the circumstances"   That takes a lot of courage I think.

Been amazed at your training,  you were not even able to run just a short while ago!    Course you did not let that stop you from some incredible bike training on the trainer.  Can't run, So what?  bring your bike up to new heights!  Then once you could run, you kept it easy, controlled and well managed due to your experience.   Off the leash I would have taken OFF!  lol  oh yeah I did. What a dumb@$$.   But I digress.   Seriously during the race you faced a few more challenges to your frame of mind and was up to the task too.  

Hope you feel as good as you ought to!     No stopping for autographs next time though. 

Edited by oriolepwr 2010-04-27 8:39 PM
2010-04-28 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Nice job Taminator.  Glad to hear you were sporting the donkey shirt.  Can't even imagine doing a HIM in April.  Way to go.
2010-04-29 6:08 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job Tammy!! Awesome to see you over the weekend.....next up Racine!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed