Reto a la Frontera - 85km MTB - Cycle

View Member's Race Log
Sta. Elena de Uirén, Venezuela
Total Time = 4h 34m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had some left-over pizza from the previous night and Powerade about three hours prior to the race. Took a couple of Endurolytes.
Event warmup:

Rode around for approx. 10 minutes with my girlfriend prior to the start.
Bike
  • 4h 34m 7s
  • 85 kms
  • 18.61 km/hr
Comments:

Even though I've taken part in 3 events, accompanying my GF, after my IM (5k, 12.5k and a city adventure race), this was my chance to do some real racing on my own and test my fitness/skills.

I started out at the back of the pack and almost got caught up in a couple of pileups. Couldn't find a suitable wheel to draft off, so I ended up doing a lot of solo riding on the first 25km on pavement. Once we got to the dirt I felt good as I finally started passing people. Lots of ruts and short, fast downhills. Felt good on the climbs; even though they weren't excessively long, they were constant and came up one right after another.

I was surprised to see that my handling skills are still solid after so many months of mainly road riding. I'm glad to say that I was not passed on any of the downhill sections. However, I was beaten up on some of the climbs!

At the 50km mark, there was a huge steep climb aptly called "the Patrol"...I decided to walk since my back was hurting a bit. It seemed to be a good call since a lot of the riders who were still on their bikes were going at the same pace as I was.

Once we reached the 70km mark, I decided to see how long I could hold a hard pace. I went as fast as I could until the finish line! Left it all there.

A lot of people were cramping from so much heat and humidity. Having suffered from major cramps in my IM and, to a smaller degree, in last week's adventure race, I was very happy with my hydration/nutrition strategy. I drank a liter of water with 3 diluted Endurolytes, as well as a bottle of Powerade with another salt tablet; ate a small honey pack at every :30 of the hour and a gel every hour. I also took water and gatorade at most aid stations. If I had been told a year ago that I would be eating and drinking so much, I would have laughed. But I'm finally trying to understand and satisfy my own specific nutrition/hydration requirements in races.
What would you do differently?:

I was happy, and pretty surprised also, to do so well in this race. I definitely need to do more MTB-specific training as I felt I had some difficulties changing pace and "exploding" on some climbs.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a bit, got some food, got a cake and waited for Maydelene. She arrived an hour later and we sang happy b-day as she crossed the finish line. She beat her projected time by over 30 minutes and had no serious falls; only some minor scrapes around her knee. She was also very happy with her result.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More MTB training...more intervals and changes of pace on the bike, and eventually on the run.

Event comments:

The Amazon jungle as a setting, raced better than expected, celebrated my GF's b-day...priceless!

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Biking
04:34:07 | 85 kms | 18.61 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 25km pavement / 60 km trails, paths, ruts, jungle
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Reto a la Frontera - 85km MTB

2005-06-27 4:32 PM
in reply to: #184620

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: RE: Reto a la Frontera - 85km MTB
Sounds like fun.... and challenging. Great race...  You should be proud....
Charles put an impressive race in IMCA...  guess the training in Venezuela helped him a whole lot...

Cheers...
2005-06-27 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Great race Felix! Congratulations to you and your GF.
Rest now!
M
2005-06-28 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I never get tired of reading this in people's RR's

I went as fast as I could until the finish line! Left it all there.

Way to go Felix.  Incredible race reports.  The venues that you are racing are incredible to read about.  Congrats on your great race!  Congrats and Happy Birthday to your GF too!

2005-07-01 3:25 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations to you and "la novia" Felix! Glad to see both of you had a good race without any major mishaps. Very cool to see that you are getting your hydration/nutrition dialed in too - that's a major part of finishing with a smile on your face

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reto a la Frontera - 85km MTB Rss Feed