General Discussion Race Reports! » Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - 1st TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Loveland, CO
United States
Peggy Shockley
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m 55s
Overall Rank = 327/518
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

night before: went to rei and bought a tri suit, spare tube and new socks, learned how to change a flat (didn't need it thx god), had prerace pizza at wazee. layed out all the gear on the floor (that was kinda fun! being the gear geek i am).
morning: got up at 4, instead of 3:30 as planned, left close to 5, had pbj sandwich and coffee for breakfast, drink tons of gatorade. got to the race area, picked up the bib, prepared t1/t2 stuff, put on sun screen, got marked, put on wet suit, felt nervous about the swim
Event warmup:

ran to the lake/swim start area, went into the lake and swam a little, felt really good wearing a wetsuit
Swim
  • 40m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

went out too fast in the beginning, couldn't get the rithm right, inconsistent breathing, turned on my back for a min after the first bouy, caught my breath back, then started breathing every second stroke, became steady (but still slow) for the rest of the swim,
it wasn't as hard as i thought, i had a couple 100s meters left in me if i had to swim longer, but i couldn't wait for it to be over
wet suit helped a lot, bouyancy felt great!
What would you do differently?:

train more for the swim! and not rush in the beginning
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

long run from end of swim to t1, seemed long at least, had some trouble taking off wet suit and putting on shirt, but not bad, ate a gel and reeceys cup, and off i went

it will come with practice
Bike
  • 1h 39m 46s
  • 29.5 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

definitely most enjoyable part of the race, felt strong the whole way, didn't want for it to end. satisfied with my avg speed of 17.7

need to practice turns better, still kinda scared on high speed and slow down a lot for the turns, just need more miles under my seat i guess
also need to practice eating and drinking more during the bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

good t2 for the 1st time i thought, didn't panic or run around

eat during t2
Run
  • 50m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

felt aweful to run right after bike, legs didn't want to obey, felt like i was going to collapse on the 1st little downhill, also kinda bonked, and had cramps in my stomach on top of it. first 2 kmiles i was miserable, even had to walk for a little, then got better. was hoping for a sub-50, but didn't make it, still passed people, but didn't have as much fun as i expected

need some brick workouts to get my body used to running after bike, wish i ate more on the bike
Post race
Warm down:

spilled cold water on my head, drank water, ate popcicles, went into the lake and cooled off, ate a ton
felt better than after finishing a marathon

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of experience (transitions, nutririon, hydration) and lack of training too

Event comments:

i did it! i am a triathlete now! feels really good! the race was great, i would do it again possibly, want to try a longer distance (half). it's scary to think about the time commitment for training, unsure if i can train enough to perform well in triathlons and keep my running fast as well.

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:46 | 1500 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 449/518
Performance: Average
Suit: full wet suit
Course: a loop with 3 bouys
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:39:46 | 29.5 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 324/518
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: beautiful! very well organized, traffic blocked off or controlled by police, some uphills but nothing impossible, lots of fun downhills, enjoyed the course thoroughlly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:37 | 06.2 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 207/518
Performance: Below average
Course: around the lake mostly on concrete trail, pretty, but i didn't get to appreciate it bcz i wasn't having fun
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - 1st TRI

2005-06-27 5:09 PM
in reply to: #184757

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - 1st TRI
Great race! And heck, if you can do an oly as your first race, then you can do a 1/2 IM! go for it
2005-06-27 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Awesome race. Sounds like you really did homework and planned very well. I envy your 50 minute run after that swim and bike. Congrats and get ready for that half.

Ken
2005-06-27 9:15 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Congrats on your first tri! Jumped right in to an Oly...you go girl!  I'm looking ahead to that perhaps next season.  Awesome work!
2005-06-28 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Congratulations on your first race! You have an awesome run pace - I wish you could rub off on me! Sounds like you learned a lot about what you need to do next time. My first tri was last weekend and I didn't eat enough on teh bike, so for the Loveland race, I ate and drank as much as I could on the bike and it made a huge difference on the run. Glad you had fun!
2005-06-28 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Great job Lilia!  Are we going to see more of you at races or group training?  Glad to see you have your logs on here - and now I see why you were looking for sub50.  Fast fast fast

You might want to eat at the end of the bike so you can keep T2 fast, and so the fuel is on board before you run. 
Training does take a commitment of time if you want to get faster.  Most people struggle with the run speed.  It takes forever to get from BOPper to MOPper.  You're already running closer to FOPper.  A little more bike and swim and your there.

Hope to meet you.  Will you be at Boulder Peak?

2005-06-28 3:46 PM
in reply to: #185679

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Thanks for advice, yeah, i don't quite understand how to keep those transitions short and quick. it seems like i didn't really waste time or seat around, still over 2 min on t1 and over 1 min on t2
i am thinking about boulder peak
it's huge, isn't it?(i mean # of people) does it fill up early?
as far as running - it just felt really odd to be running after bike, basically my legs felt like they were soft and weak. will this go away if i do more brick work outs when i run right after bike?
also, what is this boper-moper-foper thing, pardon my ignorance?
2005-06-28 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Ooops.  Just found out Boulder Peak is full.
Yes, bricks help a great deal with running legs after the bike.

BOP = Back Of the Pack
MOP = Middle Of the Pack
FOP = Front Of the Pack

Your T1 & T2 times don't look bad.  I don't know how far you had to go from the water to the bike rack, but I liked your comments in your RR, you will get faster as you do more.  But, if you just bought a tri suit, why did you put on a shirt?  Anyway, nothing else you did looks slow.  Good job

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - 1st TRI Rss Feed