Finalstretch Inc
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 43s
Overall Rank = 119/207
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Kind of a typical day. Coffee, PBB bagel and some water. We packed the truck last night, so not much to do this morning. Left on time and the drive up was uneventful.
Event warmup:

The first race of the year is a lesson in remembering exactly how this works again. As we were getting the bikes aired up and heading down to transition, I realized it took us a lot longer than it should have. That's why we got there very early. Took the bikes out for a short spin and ran a bit. Decent enough warm-up.
Run
  • 20m 29s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start line, I left Jeremy at the front and found my way to the back. I wanted a steady pace, somewhere around 10 mpm if possible. We started and I felt good for the first few minutes. Then I started feeling kind of sick around 10 min. Not sure what was going on, I kept going. Several times I thought I was going to need to find a portajohn. Really bad. Luckily (?) there were none right on the course, so I kept going. I made a deal with myself that I'd go ride the bike and then reassess. There were potties near the bike in so that was my plan. I finished the run in pain and quite unhappy.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I have no idea what was going on. Wish I did know.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I really don't think I quite knew what to do until I got my helmet on. The first run and part of T1 were kind of fumbling around. I managed to get on the bike and then the race began.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 49m 42s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I go to the bike and it was on! Started passing people immediately out of T1. I actually counted this time; I passed 60 people and only 1 passed me. I was in the back of the field, so it was mostly mtn bikes, cruisers and old road bikes. The wind going out was helping quite a bit and I was goind well over 20 most of the time. One stretch I was holding 29-29. That was pretty fun. Then the turnaround came and the wind hit me like a wall. Much different race coming back in. I still passed a ton of people, but this time it was road bikes. Around mile 12 I felt someone on my tail and looked back. Some dude was just sitting there. Looked again. Still there. He told me he didn't have the legs to pass me and was going to stay. I told him to enjoy the draft. And he did. I knew he'd pass me on the run, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Not much. Maybe I could have hammered a bit more on the easy stretches to get that average up some.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Good T2. Running on gravel with socks was not fun, but otherwise OK.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off and felt OK, so no need for the potty. Yay! Soon people were passing me back, but that's cool. The guy who was on my wheel caught me pretty quickly and we ran together for the rest of the way. His pace was a bit faster than I was comfortable with, but that's a good thing. He pulled me around the run course and I'm thankful for that. He dropped me at the finish, but whatever.

Could I have gone harder? Who knows.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walk it out and find some food. Stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind and my sucky running.

Event comments:

Nice job, Final Stretch! Lots of giveaway prizes at the end. I got a cool new hat and Mario won the wetsuit. Love door prizes! One complaint. We need post-race food that doesn't include meat. I know, it's kind of picky, but my relish and mustard on a hotdog bun wasn't great. A cookie would have been nice. Nice showing for TriRochester today too!
AG rankings aren't posted yet. Will get them added when I can.

Last updated: 2010-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:29 | 02 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 171/207
Performance: Bad
Avg HR- 161 Max HR- 169
Course: Small loop through town- some roads, some on the trail. A few hills and several turns.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:49:42 | 14 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Overall: 79/207
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 158 Max HR- 170 Wind was around 21 steady with gusts to 30. Nice.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back on country roads. With that wind, it was almost like to separate races.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:16 | 03 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 123/207
Performance: Average
Avg HR- 162 Max HR- 174
Course: Out and back on the trail. A few small hills, mostly the first one out of T2.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-02 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Falls Duathlon

2010-05-02 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2831054

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Falls Duathlon

Another veg, thats great.  I think I saw Boca burgers near the grill, but my stomach doesn't like the cross-contamination from grills, so I didn't even ask.

60 people! Thats awesome.

2010-05-04 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2831054

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Falls Duathlon
Passed 60 people on the bike?!?! That's CRAZY!! Nice work out there! Nice average pace in that wind!

And the relish and mustard on a hot dog bun would have been better with a hot dog. Ha!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Falls Duathlon Rss Feed