Chattanooga Bicycle Club
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 38m 10s
Overall Rank = 0/2500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had some yogurt and cereal, drove to Neland Stadium and set up my ride & nutrition
Event warmup:

None, just waited to start. 2000 cyclinst rolling at the same time gives you a good few slow miles to warm up
Bike
  • 6h 36m 10s
  • 100.3 miles
  • 15.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good early season endurance test. I decided to practice my nutrition and see how I felt on the run as a result, as well as work with pacing and minimizing rest. The amount of riders for this event was impressive- probably around 2k. we had a mass start at 7:30 and rode through chattanooga and onto the hwy 27 bridge, and it was amazing to see the mile long or so parade of cyclists from atop the bridge.
The first climb (signal mtn) was a cupcake really. It was the longest, but pretty much felt like 5 miles of willeo rd. There was an immediate descent after the climb where I let all the people I passed on the way up, pass me (I really need to get over my descents). I passed on the first aid station and tried my best to jump in a few pacelines to the 43 mile rest stops. It was hit and miss and I spent a lot of time between groups, whick killed my efficiency cause it was windy as hell.
Somwhere around mile 45 we hit Alabama and the roads turned to shit. Climb 2, Sand Mountain was upon us- It was very much like wolfpen with a worse rd surface. I started feeling quite a bit of fatigue after this climb, and expected to descend shortly after (used to the gaps), but it was around 12 miles until I hit the descent- thankfully the roads improved.
Around mile 83 was the rest stop before the ascent of lookout. I was pretty tired at this point and was pretty beaten down from the heavy winds. There was about a 3 mile climb to the top of lookout so I decided to dump the water bottles. The climb was moderate until the last 300 yards where it was basically a wall. I sucked it up and averaged around 3mph on that part at max HR. Thank goodness for the cowbellers halfway up, and there were pleny of walkers. There were about 10 miles of rollers until the descent of lookout where around mile 90 I had to battle some thigh cramping. I sucked it up and struggled the last few miles to the descent, which was the most technical and fun (I layed off the brakes- too tired to go slow) the last 3-4 miles in chattanooga to the finish I picked it up and finished strong. I crossed the finish, promptly went to the car and put on the running shoes for a 10 mile t-run
Nutrition- around 1400 calories
3 feed bottles- carbo pro & gu2o 360 cal each
4 gu's
handful of chips
Nutrition was good. the only thing I took from sag is the handful of chips, which were awesome. I will plan on taking some salty snack for future events and the sweet shit becomes unbearable
What would you do differently?:

My longest ride was 67 miles this season, so I cant complain. It was basically a litmus test of endurance and nutrition planning. Nutrition was good and I recovered quickly
Post race
Warm down:

not much. I did a t-run and probably should have stretched. I felt suprisingly ok despite earlier cramping

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mileage, lack of mountain riding

Event comments:

Great event. Most impressive was the amount of traffic control at every turn- and there were a lot. I didnt stop once- that had to take some serious coordination in 3 different states too. Great well stocked sag and good post ride activities (which I skipped) Best supported ride I have seen

Last updated: 2010-04-28 12:00 AM
Biking
06:36:10 | 100.3 miles | 15.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 big mountain climbs with lots of rollers in the middle. Amazingly well planned 100 mile loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-02 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: 3 State 3 Mountain

2010-05-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2831916

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: RE: 3 State 3 Mountain
wow, the ride was impressive enough but that was a hell of a t-run.  You'll certainly be ready for Louisville.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 State 3 Mountain Rss Feed