Setup Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 12m 11s
Overall Rank = 51/256
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/39
Pre-race routine:

We camped at the site. Got up, ate a Cliff bar and half a bagel with PB. Drank some Heed.
Event warmup:

I tried to run but my left hip just wouldn't have it. I had thoughts of not being able to race, but quickly pushed them away. So, I checked in, stretched it a bit, and tried to run again. No dice. I wasn't worried, though. At this point I thought that it would loosen up after the bike. So I got everything ready to go, chatted a bit with Brad and Nick, then swam about 200m in the lake.
Swim
  • 33m 58s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I held on to some pretty fast feet for the first 2/3 of the first lap. Then those feet slowed down so I went out solo. At that point there was no more drafting because the only swimmers I caught were going much slower than I wanted to. Overall, this was my best OWS race ever. I was out of the water in something like 33:30, then the short run to the timing mat. So far, so good. The swim training is paying off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. The only thing that would have helped significantly would have been to find a draft that stayed fast the whole time. To do that, I probably need to go out faster at the start. I'm probably getting close to being able to to that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Well, the penalty for going hard on the swim was that it took me a bit longer to get through T2 than it should. I was a little bit too busy catching my breath and finding my bearings instead of transitioning. Still, considering that I put on socks and shoes, this wasn't awful.
Bike
  • 2h 34m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good bike leg for me. I hit the half-way point at around 1:08, which is very fast, but we were on smooth road with a bit of a tailwind at times. In fact, I probably should have pushed a bit harder during the first half, and would have if I knew what was coming next. (I hadn't scouted the course at all...) Then it got hard -- there was a fairly strong headwind at the turnaround. Then it got very hard -- headwind and 7 miles of forsaken asphalt. I passed the detritus of launched bike gear all along the road. By the end of the race, it must have looked like a bike shop exploded on the road.

I thought I was hoping for that stretch of road to end, but I had no idea how bad it would get! When we got back out onto the main road the headwind was viciously strong. I could not let go of the idea of a super-fast bike leg, so I just rode harder. That wasn't a huge mistake -- I had taken it pretty easy on the way out -- but I would have been better served by backing off a bit.

Scout the bike course better, and even our the effort a bit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Fast T2 -- one of the fastest in the race. No complaints.
Run
  • 2h 01m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I got off the bike very excited. I felt great, and I was in perfect position to go sub-5 even with the slow-down on the second half of the bike. My goal all along was to be running before 3:15 and I had hit that goal. I can run a 1:45 half-marathon in my sleep with one leg tied behind my back. This is in the bag...

Well, things fell apart quickly. I had been hoping all along that the bike would 'loosen things up' (whatever that means), but no. After less than 1/2 mile my hip was in pain. Before long, every step felt like a jab with a needle. For three miles I endured it and ran around 7:15/mile. But it was a case of mind over matter, and eventually, matter won. I just couldn't take the pain any more and I started run/walking. I felt fine aerobically and muscularly, but the pain in the hip was just too much. The heat was pretty bad too, but I was managing that OK with water, etc. I had thoughts many times of quitting, and then I'd think "I'm not going to be the guy who quits just because it hurts". Honestly, that was probably a stupid thought. I should have been thinking "I'm not going to be the guy who hurts himself badly just to finish a race." I think I lucked out and just hurt myself a little.

Well, I did finish. It wasn't pretty. Ironically, around mile 11 I met up with a guy who turned out to be a hip surgeon. We talked a while. He said "I hope you're not my patient soon." I won't be. It hurts but it isn't that bad.

Not have an accident 2 days before the race?
Post race
Warm down:

Oh that beer tasted soooo good.

Event comments:

I really badly wanted sub-5. I did everything I could to put myself in a position to do it. I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed. But I'm pleased with how I performed under the circumstances, and assuming that I'm not hurt too badly, I will have gotten away with finishing a race that I probably should have dropped out of.

UPDATE: Looks like I had a (minor) fracture in my pelvis. So that explains why running hurt... I dodged a bullet, because this could have been much worse.

Last updated: 2009-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:58 | 1931 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/39
Overall: 78/256
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two laps around the lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:34:08 | 56 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/39
Overall: 39/256
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Fast and flat for the first half. Then we turn around into the wind. Then we ride into the wind, partly uphill, on an awful road. Then into a wicked headwind.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:04 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/39
Overall: 69/256
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat with a few longish gentle hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?