Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Vancouver International Marathon Society
Total Time = 4h 17m 50s
Overall Rank = 1880/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 191/244
Pre-race routine:

Got off of night shift on Saturday morning and hopped on a plane for Vancouver. Spent the day drinking coffee and pushing the stroller all over the streets of Vancouver trying to keep the kids entertained and stay awake. Got to bed about 2300 on Saturday night. Had a pretty restless night and woke up at 0515, about 15 minutes behind schedule. Had a bagel with toast and jam for breakfast and a pot of coffee. Showered, got dressed, and walked down to the starting area. Hung out in the rain for a while and then it was time to go...
Event warmup:

No real warm up, just walked the 3ish km to the race start from the hotel.
Run
  • 4h 17m 46s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 06m 07s  min/km
Comments:

Run was great. I had hoped to finish in about 4:30, but had no real goal as this was my first marathon. Finishing in 4:17 was awesome. I was a little disappointed in my Suunto foot pod. I apparently do not have it calibrated correctly. I thought I was running a 5:30/km pace, but was actually running 6:00. I am worried that all of my training has been off as well. That means that not only am I slow, I am slower than I though.

I managed to hold nearly the same pace for the entire run. No walking except to drink at the aid stations and my pace didn't slow until the last 3km. Going down the last two hills killed me.

I do need to find something to help prevent blisters on my feet.
What would you do differently?:

Hopefully run faster...
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down...? I could barely walk and it was freezing cold out...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...

Event comments:

It is really hard to rate this race as it is my first marathon. It seemed like a well organized event. A little disappointed in the finishers shirts. They were just a technical shirt that they handed out before the race. I thought you had to EARN a finisher shirt and medal. Medals are nice.

Last updated: 2009-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
04:17:46 | 42.2 kms | 06m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 0/244
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a few hills. The hills were long, but not steep. No problem running up them, but coming sown hurt like hell. Lots of rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Subject: Vancouver Marathon

2010-05-03 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2832824

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-03 11:02 AM

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Vancouver Marathon
Good job, especially with the little volume in the past month. Sucks about the foot pad, but whatcha going to do. Maybe get a Garmin... You know, I don't think 4:17 for a marathon is slow. Congrats.
2010-05-03 1:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Vancouver Marathon

Great job - I did this marathon last year and thought the uphills were killers!  And my time was slower than yours so you are not slow!!

ETA - you can see last year's shirt in my photo... (white!!)

Edited by tracyhmcd 2010-05-03 1:33 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Marathon Rss Feed