General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming nausea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-06 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: Swimming nausea?
For some reason when I swim laps right after work I get nauseous everytime. I don't know if it's that pool or what. It's the only time I swim at that particular pool. I swim at two other pools with no issues.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any advice? Could it be the chemicals they use? I am new to swimming so I thought maybe it's just because it's hard but then why wouldn't it happen at the other pools?

2010-05-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2840594

User image

Subject: RE: Swimming nausea?
Universal answer to dizziness and nausea for swimming, ear plugs.

Go to Wal-Mart and get those $.25 ear plugs and try your next swim with them in. Usually it takes colder water to make you feel woozie but a quarter is not much of a waste to see if that'll fix it.

If that doesn't, then revisit the idea of motion sickness and corrections thereof.

Just noticed the one pool and not others thing. Is there a temp difference between them? Perhaps there is more chlorine in one than the other two or less. I would still give the ear plugs a shot just in case, though.

Edited by DanielG 2010-05-06 7:41 AM
2010-05-06 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I absolutely get this and there was only one solution for me, FIND OPEN WATER!  I never though that I had a motion sickness problem until I started training for the Ironman last year.  Ear plugs didn't work.  One thing I found that did reduce the symptoms is taking Ginger tablets which is used for anti-nausea.  Motion-sickness drugs are anticholinergic so they dry you up and make you extremely dry mouth which didn't work out to well.

So in the end I drove way out of my way to find some open water to swim in and that cured my problem.  The longer pool length you can find the better.  I only have an option for a 25 yard pool which makes for a lot of turningFrown  
2010-05-06 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida

Is the one pool water warmer than the others? I can't swim in a hot pool.

2010-05-06 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida
I don't think there is much of a temp difference. I think motion sickness might be it. The bottom of the lane is at an angle and it really bugs me, maybe that's throwing off my equilibrium. I also think the other pools use that chlorine that seems salty and this one doesn't. The smell of this pool just bugs me.

Unfortunately if I want to get a weekday swim in this pool is it for me. The others and OWS are too far out of the way. OWS is a whole other issue for me! I just did my first one last weekend and it was a brutal wake up call. Getting pushed around by the waves, swallowing salt water... ugh, not a good experience. My first tri is on the 15th, we’ll see if that will be my last. LOL
2010-05-06 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I get dizzy after swimming due to the head position.  I have BPV (benign positional vertigo) which causes dizziness when my head is tilted slightly back and turns to the side when my body is horizontal (i.e. taking a breath).  Not sure why it would happen in one pool and not another but something to look into.

2010-05-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2840934

User image

and I ran - 2010-05-06 10:17 AM

I also think the other pools use that chlorine that seems salty and this one doesn't.

Their chlorine is breaking down. It almost tastes like salt water when it does that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming nausea? Rss Feed