KOZ
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 4s
Overall Rank = 824/861
Age Group = CLD-under 40
Age Group Rank = 38/40
Pre-race routine:

woke at 4:20AM to choke down a little oat meal w/ banana's and wait for my brother to get up. He rolls out of bed 10mins later and we are off.
Event warmup:

did some light stretching but mainly tried to stay calm. 5 minutes before the start of my wave(8) I entered the water for swim light warm-up
Swim
  • 25m 33s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

felt good the whole swim. Not a record breaking swim but I seemed to be breathing well and sighted very well the 2nd half. I actually made it past the half way point before the fastest swimmer from wave 9 caught me.
What would you do differently?:

still need to work on my navigation skills. learned a new trick about sighting from the side and just keeping the angles. Thisseemed to work better today but I still need to work on it a bit.
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

this was a really long transition area and not just how much time I spent there my bike seemed like 2 blocks away from the swim exit. Anyway I did good getting the wet suit off and ready for the bike.
Bike
  • 57m 9s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Seemed to do pretty good on the bike, when I 1st drove the course Friday I thought the steepness of the hills and the total number ofthe hills was going to make for a long day. As it turned out the hills weren't so bad. In fact seemed to be having a fun ride, the number of bikes on the course made it a little more challenging but kept youfrom getting bored.

I actually eased up on some of the hills to make sure I had some steam left for the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

got off the bike good, the long time in T2 was because of the length of the transition area and I walked a bit in T2 due to a little pain in the lower back off the bike. the pain was gone by the time I hit the timing pad for the run.
Run
  • 1h 29m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 14m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually ran the race without having to walk, milestone for me. I felt like I had a lot in the tank when the run was over. Ran slow and easy and my time shows it but more importantly I could have done another 6.2
What would you do differently?:

keep working on my running, I'm starting to get tired of counting the hundreds of people passing me on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

None to speak of just drank some juice and ate a couple of oranges. stretched some as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run is really my limiter. All I can do is keep working on my weight lose and my running.

Event comments:

For some reason only my T2, run and finishing times are displayed on the results page so I had to rely on my stop watch/HRM readings for the other times whiched matched the displayed times as well.

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:33 | 1000 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 751/861
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Deep water start in the harbor near shelter island, out and around the line of bouyes, back following shoreline.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:09 | 18.64 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Overall: 506/861
Wind: Some
Course: a hilly course up from the air port to the top Point Loma The 1st ascent up Canon Dr. was harder than I thought but it only lasted about a mile
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:29:25 | 06.2 miles | 14m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 840/861
Course: flat course along the water downtown San Diego nice breeze and cool temps made for a good running day
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-28 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: San Diego International

2005-06-28 9:54 PM
in reply to: #185968

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: San Diego International
Nice job during the event and nice race report. Was this your 1st tri? I did my first this weekend and experience similar bike - run burnout..... More brick trng needed I guess...
2005-06-28 9:56 PM
in reply to: #185974

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Thanks, this actually isn't my 1st TRI i just really suck on the run. I'd agree with the need to do more bricks though.
2005-06-28 11:34 PM
in reply to: #185968

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
You did great!!!!

And by the way, I ran the course in about the same time, I think around 14 miles per hour, you aren't the only one out that was getting frustrated with people passing you. Oh, at least you weren't on a MTB, I was getting frustrated with people passing me on the bike also.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Rss Feed