Vancouver Sun Run
14C / 57F
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the event early (very convenient that the starting line is literally outside of the front doors of my office building) dropped off my stuff at the office, got a coffee & banana for breakfast & then waited in the lobby til closer to the start time.
Event warmup:

Stretched as much as possible in the office lobby cuz I knew it was going to be jammed when out in the starting line up, and I was right.
Run
  • 49m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Woke up this morning not feeling all that great as I've been fighting being sick for the last week. Had a sore throat, kind of stuffed up and didn't know how much energy I'd have, but I figured that I'd HTFU and see what happened.

Started out well, but took a little bit to get my breathing in check becuase of being stuffed up and lower energy levels, but got that sorted about 1/2 a km in and started to feel pretty good. Then around the 5.5 - 6km mark I got a really bad stitch in my abdomen. I tried to breathe through it, but it just wasn't going away so I had to walk for about 1/2 a km to try and stretch the damn thing out. When it was apparent that it just wasn't going to go away, I decided to hell with it and started running again, but at a slower pace and concentrating on my breathing. It eventually went away around the 8km mark and I FINALLY started to feel comfortable on the run, just to realize that I only had 2km left in the race. Picked up the pace again and felt like I finished pretty strong.

Thank god for good looking pace booty to get me through!
What would you do differently?:

Not run when I feel like pewp.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, water, and walking back to the office building.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick and the fact that I suck at running.

Event comments:

Always a good/fun race to run especially with all the bands that they have along the course to keep people having a good time and to try and distract them from the fact that they're running. :)

Last updated: 2010-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:34 | 06.21 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as in previous years, a couple of hills but not too bad.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-09 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Vancouver Sun Run 10k

Hahaha!

I put in my race time as being 9 hours... um... a tiny mistake on my part there, the race started at 9am and I finished it in 49:34

Um... oops... personally, I blame the margaritas from last night. 

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2010-05-09 12:50 PM

2010-05-09 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2846977

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: RE: Vancouver Sun Run 10k
A good time considering all the things stacked up against you, especially the margaritas! Remember the rule... no more than 8 or 9 cocktails the night before a race!
2010-05-09 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2847366

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Riel - 2010-05-09 6:44 PM A good time considering all the things stacked up against you, especially the margaritas! Remember the rule... no more than 8 or 9 cocktails the night before a race!

Aaaahhh - I knew I did something wrong... possibly the tequila shots at 1am weren't the wisest of decisions

Damn Ocho de Mayo bbq (cuz we missed having it on the Cinco de Mayo)
2010-05-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2846977

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I was going to say...9-hours!
Nice job, expecially for feeling somewhat under the weather before the race.  Glad you found what you needed to get you through!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Sun Run 10k Rss Feed