Set-Up, Inc
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 43s
Overall Rank = 10/251
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was lucky enough to get to stay in the FeXY Team house just a few minutes from the race site the night before the race so I actually got lots of sleep and woke up naturally at 6:00. Had a slice of whole wheat bread and a banana at 7. Walked around a lot to get out taking in the atmosphere, trying to get pumped up.

[rankings listed are all overall female results]
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 16m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am a TERRIBLE swimmer - and it just goes to show with these results. 89th on the swim but 2nd on the bike.. oy! I just can't seem to get the hang of the swim. At some point I was stuck behind Kicky McKickerson doing a jaws sounds splashy kick that was driving me nuts so I thought - "okay, I have to pass her" - and I pulled harder and flew right by her.. so was I not trying before then? It's a race, I should be going all out on the swim just like I do on the bike and not "decide" partway through the race to get mad that some chick keeps splashing me and go for it.
What would you do differently?:

This was just embarrassing getting 89th on the swim. I'm fully committed to 3xWeek swimming now - no excuses and more open water swims. I've got a LONG ways to go before I will be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish with triathlon with this kind of swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

First transition of the year.. first time out of the wetsuit this year.. didn't run with the bike in the beginning. Short transitions are like free time, I need to work on this [60th T1]

Practice transitions and be mentally ready for it. Also practice running in the bike shoes!
Bike
  • 49m 33s
  • 18 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

LOVE the bike! Just love it! Had some trouble getting clipped in and realized I should have just pushed off and then worried about clipping later. Pushed hard the whole time - stood on some hills - kept the cadence up - flew by tons of people [that will happen when you are 89th on the swim and the second fastest female bike!]. It took me a minute or 2 to get into it but I remembered Ernie saying "this is your event" and I smiled, took a swig of my magic juice [scoop and a half accelerade], left the crappy swim behind and took off! It was pretty windy. Going 35 over the bridge with crazy side winds was a little frightening but I wasn't going to slow down :)

Push off and then clip in. Have my speedometer set up on average so it resets correctly.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I go back and forth with leaving the shoes on the bike or not.. Either way, I don't do the whole jump off the bike while it's still moving thing and should probably try to figure that one out.

Again, need to work on transitions. Socks too a while to put on, speed laces were too tight. I was over thinking the whole thing.
Run
  • 23m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm pretty happy with this run. I don't have any HR data since my HRM was being fluky but I had gotten passed by a girl in my age group at the beginning of the run and tried my hardest to hold her. Not my fastest 5k but I'll take it! Didn't take any water or anything on the run and felt fine. It was cool out.
Post race
Warm down:

None - just hung out and watched everyone else come in and the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Honestly, I just wasn't 100% into this race. My mind was all over the place and I was slightly apathetic about racing (which is the first time this has ever happened to me). My nutrition was terrible last week and I even had a few drinks w/the team who had already done their HIM the night before the race. I'm not reading too much into that apathetic feeling and thinking that it will pass. I love racing and I love feeling like I gave it my all but my drive for everything just got zapped a few weeks ago and triathlon took a hit too.. but I'm coming back and being out there racing certainly helped. Just the day after going through a race feeling so blah I've got some new determination and focus so I suspect Columbia will be better and by Eagleman I'll be full game-on. I'm not trying to make excuses but it really was a different experience racing in that mindset.

Last updated: 2010-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:08 | 820 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 89/251
Performance: Bad
Suit: xTerra sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:33 | 18 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Overall: 2/251
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:41 | 03.11 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 14/251
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Subject: Kinetic Sprint

2010-05-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2848427

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: Kinetic Sprint
Great job Christy. You're my hero!!!

I'm impressed with the results and you'll only get stronger as the season continues. You'll be ready to kick Louisville's a@@ when the time comes.
2010-05-10 8:30 PM

User image

Why do you think you swim badly? Bad form? Don't swim enough?

Have you had coaching with form and relaxation? If you have bad form and are fighting yourself and the water, you won't swim fast regardless of the workout.

What kind of workouts do you do? Heretically, I think a good workout system for swimming is not unlike that form running. A. A long continuous aerobic effort (2k-5k depending on fitness and ability). B. After a warmup, some longer intervals (250s-500s-750s-1k in sets or ladders). What pace? Your t-pace for longer races. C. After a warmup, some short intervals, 50s, 75s, 100s, not a bad idea to get one of the premade swim workout books.

I think much tri swim advice is nonsense. Quit doing drills, waste of time. Stop kicking, it just lets your arms rest, it doesnt help actual kick, and wastes time. Masters swimming? too many short reps and too many other strokes.

Just swim freestyle most of the time.
2010-05-11 8:06 AM

Pro
yep,
Nice job.  But still I'd take that pace swimming.  Nice work.
2010-05-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2849991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
drghs3 - 2010-05-10 9:30 PM Why do you think you swim badly? Bad form? Don't swim enough? Have you had coaching with form and relaxation? If you have bad form and are fighting yourself and the water, you won't swim fast regardless of the workout. What kind of workouts do you do? Heretically, I think a good workout system for swimming is not unlike that form running. A. A long continuous aerobic effort (2k-5k depending on fitness and ability). B. After a warmup, some longer intervals (250s-500s-750s-1k in sets or ladders). What pace? Your t-pace for longer races. C. After a warmup, some short intervals, 50s, 75s, 100s, not a bad idea to get one of the premade swim workout books. I think much tri swim advice is nonsense. Quit doing drills, waste of time. Stop kicking, it just lets your arms rest, it doesnt help actual kick, and wastes time. Masters swimming? too many short reps and too many other strokes. Just swim freestyle most of the time.

Wow! thanks for all the advice! 

I think it's a combo of bad form and not swimming enough.  I haven't had any coaching besides dropping in on a masters class every once in a while - and I agree it's not the same to be taught through masters.  I've never done backstroke or fly and my breaststroke style is more like the moms doing laps during "adult swim" while chit chatting up and down the pool.  I only do free so when masters throws in IM sets, I'm at a loss.  And I agree that all the kick sets are a waste. 

Do you have a particular book or plan you would recommend?  I've been doing the swims from the BT Intermediate IM plan; or most of them.. sometimes they have back/free/breast sets so I'll swap those out for the same yardage swim from the no-fluff plan. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Sprint Rss Feed