United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 to walk and get things moving. Stretched out, ate a plain waffle at the hotel with the family. Drank some Fierce Grape Gatorade. Drove to the Y and set up transition. Used a 5-gallon bucket for all my stuff, and then sat on it to get my bike and run shoes on.
Event warmup:

Walked alone and stretched some more. Planned to swim in lane one because it had a ladder. Enter and exit on the deep end. Tough for a guy my size to haul his carcass out of the pool using only his arms. Ladder would have been nice. Got kicked out of lane one because all the "fast guys" in heat 4 wanted to use it as a warm up lane. Got stuck in the middle of the pool as far away as you could get from a ladder.
Swim
  • 09m 54s
  • 457 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Okay, so I got new goggles for my birthday. They're super comfortable and have worked wonderfully for me. Not so today. Pushed off the wall and goggles began to leak. Stopped to reset them after one length. Pushed off the wall and they filled with water again. Took them off and threw them out my supportive wife. Arggg! Very frustrated my first few laps and then my eyes burned for the next two days.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Sat on a bucket to put on my shoes. Worked great. Also, I'd had some dizziness in T1 at every tri so far. Something about getting my equilibrium back after the swim. Took a suggestion on a message board and used some wax ear plugs in the pool. No more dizziness in T1! T1 did take longer than previous times due to putting on bike shoes as well as pulling on a thermal top for the cold weather. Used my trusty batman thermal. Good times!
What would you do differently?:

Practice having shoes attached to pedals for the bike start. Just hadn't done it enough to try it during a race. I was also worried about the wind (15 mph) and about crossing RR tracks not far from transition area.
Bike
  • 34m 36s
  • 9.6 miles
  • 16.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Stuck to the game plan. Thought I averaged better speed on the bike, but with some hills, and some wind, and some cold, and a red light, I was happy overall.

Go faster. But not at the expense of the run. I did execute my race plan well after the swim portion.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Quick transition. Kept my batman thermal on for the run.
Run
  • 36m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the best run I've had at a tri yet. Good pacing, even on the hills. Only walked briefly to take some water at the aid station and then again for a section of the overpass. The last 1/2 mile I averaged a 9:15 pace. Finished strong!

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked by the Y with the boys. Took some Fierce Grape Gatorade, a banana, a muffin, and whatever else I could find. Hungry!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training.

Event comments:

Had a really good time at this race. It was very laid back, and thus a good one for the start of the season. The people were extremely nice, including the race organizer. One big plus is that they have an awesome Y facility for the kids, including a climbing wall, trampoline basketball, batting cages, and incredible play place. We went there Friday night and Saturday after the race. They also fed our entire family for $5 on Friday night. Great spaghetti dinner with brownies and a bunch of salad stuff. Excellente!

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:54 | 457 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:36 | 9.6 miles | 16.65 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was a bit confusing. They did their best to mark it. There was one bike hazard--bunch of broken up asphalt. Some of the streets were narrow, especially dealing with traffic. Had to stop behind a truck pulling a trailer at a red light. No room to get around. Lane of traffic was not marked off.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:15 | 03.11 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Scenic. A few hills, including one overpass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes