General Discussion Race Reports! » NE Season Opener Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NE Season Opener Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Ma
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 10s
Overall Rank = 58/108
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Signed up 3-4 months ago to as kick off of local season and lots of BTers do it

Kevin wanted to race as well and I suggested that he do the duathlon not the tri as early season ows race may not be ideal for someone new to ows as water can be pretty cold and makes adjusting to ows in races a bit more challenging.

Still feeling a bit off since Lonestar 70.3 two weeks ago
Event warmup:

Weather forecast had it real feel of 34 at race start, wind 20 mph with gusts up to 52mph. I decide on ride to race if they'd let me change to the duathlon I would. I've raced a few times in the 40s and 50s and know what it feels like being on the bike when you are wet when it is cold. Bassman Oly 2 years ago rain, mid 40s and my feet hurt for days afterwards.

When I checked in I asked if they were going to do the swim. They acted all surprised like why not? My thought lots of newbies, cold water, strong winds, cold outdoor temps it was not sensible to do. I had nothing to prove so opted to switch to duathlon.

Dropped off bikes, walked back to the car and made final decision on clothes..added leg and arm warmers, Gore bike jacket, using scull hat, and my Gavia gloves.

No warm up as I was afraid to get warmed up a bit then cold waiting for race start if it started late

Run
  • 19m 4s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran and tried to keep my pace just under my T pace and keep effort even. The course has some challenging hills but more on the second run.

What would you do differently?:

Warming up would have been smart
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I was quick
Bike
  • 39m 15s
  • 10.08 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Came in 12 of women

Passed lots of folks in first bit before we left the park. It was a bit challenging as some racers didn't know the rules like stay right unless passing.

My goal was to keep watts 170-175 and not spike power up hills to keep VI low.

Once we got on the main road two emergency vehicles passed us including one rescue boat being towed. My heart sank as I feared something bad had happened on the swim.

At about mile 6 another group of emergency vehicles passed us going towards the park and I felt sad.

After first lump of folks I passed, racers were more spread out. I did my best but my power was lower than I hoped and lowest it's been in a sprint in 4 years with racing with power (30 watts lower than last year) which is depressing on some levels. My VI was better than I thought it would. Race course has hills some get steeper and I run out of gears to keep power lower but would drop my cadence down.

Maybe not do a race 2 weeks after a 70.3

I think I did the best I could with what I had on race day. Still not sure why I didn't have as much as I "should" have on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Joked with the spectators...saying something like that was the fun part can I do it again.

Took off jacket, and leg warmers, Gavia gloves, but should have grabbed my light weight knit gloves to run in.

Put on or take gloves with me
Run
  • 30m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Run starts with .34 mile hill, saw Kevin coming in on the bike as I started the run. We had teased about who would beat who..question was would he catch me on the run. Then a down hill, out and back.

Lots of folks I passed on the bike passed me on the run. Tried to run hard and push myself more.

This was the hilliest run I've done in a sprint.

One guy who was with me much of the bike was with me on the run, finally was able to pass him in the last 3/4 of a mile. Running over the damn was crazy with 20-40 mph wind and no cover. My legs would be blown when I lifted them off the ground and I was literally moved by the wind.

Last bit to finish pushed as hard as I could. In the long finish area, a guy passed me but I put on the gas and was able to pass him back.

I guess one positive is that I placed better second run than first one. I'm not fast but think doing long course racing has given me ability to pace and not fade. This second run had two hills that were ~1/3 mile long so more challenging than first run.

Be a better runner
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to get warm and put more clothes on. Found Kevin who finished a short time after I did.

Results were posted and messed up as all three races were lumped together. I thought I came in 2nd so we waited for the awards as I heard they had good prizes for award winners..this year nice glasses but that's it. It took a long time and I was cold should have gone home earlier and not waited.

I'd rather have a well executed race then hardware...so I feel blah about this one.

Fun to see Senator Scott Brown is still racing tris and part of Bay State Tri team

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather, concern about safety of others, fatigue?

I did best I could given what I had today

Event comments:

Given the swim the last two years, Max Performance really should consider pushing race back a couple weeks or have this just be a duathlon. Typical MA weather does not set up this race for good situation with lots of newbies, cold water and/or cold weather, makes it a bit risky. No other race organization does open water swim tris until June and this race this year was 4 weeks earlier than any other ows tri in MA.

Logic points out that this is a risky weather time to do a tri. I won't sign up to do this tri again perhaps the du and plan on doing it.

I'm happy no one was injured during swim as I was quite concerned when I heard all the emergency vehicle responding to tri.

The weather forecast was right 34 real feel, winds of 20 mph and gusts to 50. If those factors had been taken into account swim should have been canceled. I do realize that conditions changed after first swim wave started. But it wasn't as if this was completely unexpected but forecast.

I understand that many athletes wanted to swim as it is part of their competitive spirit. Race Director has to weigh safety into the decision. When the rescue boat capsizes as to many athletes need help and are trying to climb on board, the kayaks are full with folks hanging on clearly there is a safety issue.

I think any race with real feel say under 50 no swim or there should be some rules set ahead of time that racers know if it is xxx no swim.

I do like the vibe and organization of Max Performance races just think timing of this race is poor.

Last updated: 2010-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:04 | 02 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 91/108
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:39:15 | 10.08 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Overall: 40/108
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:59 | 03.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 74/108
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-12 8:33 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: NE Season Opener Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon

2010-05-12 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2855279

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Subject: RE: NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon
Good choice to switch to the Du.  I agree with your thoughts about early May races in MA.  I woke up in the a.m. and heard the wind howling (I'm in CT) and sent good thoughts to my friend who had signed up to do this race.  It's definitely too early in the season for me, temperature-wise!

Congratulations on a great showing!
2010-05-13 10:54 AM

User image

Subject: RE: NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon
Wait until next year....  

All kidding aside, you had a great race considering the cold and wind and two weeks after a 70.3.  In hindsight, it was a fun day for a du.
2010-05-13 2:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-13 4:10 PM

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: NE Season Opener Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon
Very smart decision to switch to DU.  I know sometimes early May can be in the 80s but I agree it might be pushing to race OWS this early.  Nice job pacing and congrats on hardware!!!
2010-05-13 5:52 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: NE Season Opener Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon
Good call switching to the Du!  Those were rough conditions!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NE Season Opener Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon Rss Feed