General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside-Out Sports Classic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cary, North Carolina
United States
Inside-Out Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

5am wake up call, bagel with butter, coffee and water
Event warmup:

Running from the porta potty line to the start line, just made it!
Run
  • 1h 51m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't going to put any sort of goal on this race as I just came off White Lake but I signed up for this on a whim since the price was still low and I could still get a tech t-shirt :) I always hate the first mile or so of a race as it is mostly spent dodging other people and this was no different. I also hate when people run 6 across and it's impossible to pass, and this race was again no different! Once I was about 3 miles in I was good to go and I started picking people off. I felt like I was in a high school cross country meet :) There were hills but they were the long continuous hills I am accustomed to around our neighborhood so I knew how to tackle them.

At the turn around point, which I later found out was about 5.8 miles into the race, I took a Gu Roctane. I have never used these but Carol and Janelle rave about them so I thought I would experiment. They weren't kidding! I went into overdrive and I felt awesome. I was passing lots of guys and they would double take when they saw me in my purple running skirt and sports bra running by- sorry dude, you're getting chicked! I was having too much fun!

The last mile was weird because it's another short out and back down this rather narrow path, it was kinda hard to pass people so I had to kick it up and speed past some people. The last little bit of the race included one pretty steep hill just near the finish, not cool man, not cool.

I saw Scottie and Porkchop near the finish and smiled for the picture as I trotted across the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Pick it up a bit at the end so I could PR on a hilly course
Post race
Warm down:

I HATE when races make you walk to get water, this race made you walk UP another hill- WTF! I didn't drink a ton of water during the race because I had a pretty sharp side cramp at the beginning that I was trying to keep at bay. So when I was done I was REALLy thirsty. Once I caught up with Scottie I made a bee line for the water and inhaled about 4 cups, then grabbed a packet of my beloved Fig Newtons before I stretched a bit. Then I wanted Gatorade, I hate Gatorade especially while I run but I wanted the electrolyte and ofcourse there was none to be found! Double grr!!! I checked my times and saw this year's times were way faster then last year's (or maybe just more fast people signed up?) so no award for me so we walked back to the car to get some real food...mmm Flying Biscuit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I felt pretty great!

Last updated: 2010-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Course is pretty darn hilly, the majority of it is through Umstead, which is why I signed up for it so I could get a taste for racing through this kind of terrain. It was an out and back with about a mile or so tacked on at the end that went through some other narrow paths.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-16 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Inside-Out Sports Classic Half Marathon

2010-05-16 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2861631

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Classic Half Marathon
Nice job tackling the hills...Porkchop wanted to go with you but I figured they'd frown upon that...

Glad you had a good race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed