United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 35s
Overall Rank = 1489/2593
Age Group = 34-39 Women
Age Group Rank = 127/225
Pre-race routine:

Made myself a special shirt last night in honor of the family members and friend I've lost to cancer. The shirt read:
For Pop Pop
Felled by Thyroid Cancer
For Zsu Zsi Nani
and
Aunt Margo
Stolen by breast cancer

For Colleen
too young to succumb to liver cancer

For a CURE. Cancer Sucks.

Up at six, scrambled to get out the door on time since we all went to bed too late last night. Ate a breakfast sandwich, which is not my favorite for pre-race, but that's what I had time for.
Event warmup:

Mostly just the walk from the car to the start. So very glad I had my packet picked up the night before -- it was a total zoo! The 5K race started a full half hour after the scheduled start due to the crowds and the inexperience of many of the participants.
Run
  • 43m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off a little fast -- seems impossible not to do in a race, even one where many people aren't really racing! Did what I do: Just kept chugging. It was hard not to get choked up, though. All around you, people are wearing shirts or signs honoring loved ones who have lost their battles with cancer, or who continue to battle cancer. I couldn't think too much about what was on my own shirt, because that also made me choke up. My shirt had one ribbon on it for each kind of cancer I am pissed at, and in my head I assigned one mile to each ribbon/disease.
What would you do differently?:

The answer to this one is always the same: More base miles! I was really bad this week, and it definitely felt like my first run in a week.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car! Had to race to soccer; because the race started late, we were half an hour late. The best laid plans...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the crowds. There were a lot of people who don't normally race and who were not doing it for time -- that combo meant they didn't know to seed themselves properly, and THAT meant the first mile was a lot of weaving around people out for a leisurely stroll. But seriously, this is probably the only race in the area where I can actually be middle of the pack instead of back of the pack, so I'll take it.

Event comments:

This is an emotional race. Because it is so emotional, and so croweded with newbies, I would not recommend it for anyone trying to set a new PR.

BUT:

Two years ago, my husband and his dad ran this race together. It was hubby's first race after he started running, and I loved the vibe and was so proud to cheer them on. It planted a seed: I want to do this.

Last year, they ran this race together again. I was glad for them, and so disappointed in myself that I had not gotten my act together and figured out the exercise thing. I was overwhelmed with emotion over it all -- proud of them, mad at myself, missing family members. That was really the moment where I decided I HAD to get off the couch and figure out how to make a change.

Over that summer, I tried on the treadmill, and couldn't get a groove. Finally, in September, I figured out I can run right out my back door, and I slogged through couch to 5K. So when this race came around again this year, my husband insisted that *I* had to do it and he had to cheer. It meant a lot to me to have that encouragement from him, and to be in a position to go into this race with several 5Ks, a 15K, and a triathlon under my belt. What a difference a year makes!

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:35 | 03.1 miles | 14m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 127/225
Overall: 1489/2593
Performance:
Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 13m 04s 1.00 miles 13m 04s /mile 148 160 2 14m 18s 1.00 miles 14m 18s /mile 155 168 3 14m 17s 1.00 miles 14m 17s /mile 163 175 4 02m 14s 0.19 miles 11m 56s /mile 175 183
Course: Course had 2-3 gentle but definitely feel-able hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: Miles for Moffitt

2010-05-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2862959

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Miles for Moffitt
And a picture:
Miles for Moffitt 5K Finish
2010-05-17 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2862959

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Miles for Moffitt

Isn't it nice to look back and see what you've done? Great t-shirt for your loved ones, too. Congrats on a great event.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miles for Moffitt Rss Feed