Other Resources My Cup of Joe » US INS May not process illegals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-21 2:09 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: US INS May not process illegals
This is insane the head of the INS declares he may not process Illegals turned over to INS by the State.  All the state is doing it attempting to uphold US Law.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/official-says-feds-process-illegals-referred-arizona/

Edited by CBarnes 2010-05-21 2:11 PM

2010-05-21 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2874480

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-21 2:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: US INS May not process illegals

I may be wrong but...

Isn't it the job of the INS/Police/FBI etc to enforce current laws on the books, whether or not they agree with them? Hence a police officer in Arizona, if upon arresting and processing a criminal finds they are an illegal after the bill goes into effect they are required to process them as such and turn them over right? Even if they don't agree with the bill. The INS is supposed to uphold all immigration and deportation laws as well, wether or not they agree with them. It is up to congress and the president to make laws and not up to the individual enforcement agencies. Also unless there is a court ruling for an injuction in a law I do not believe that the house or the presedint has the legal right to tell a federal agency to ignore a law just because they cant get it changed and don't like it.

I really do not understand what is going on with people in this country who are acting unilaterally in such a manner on such issues. If you cannot enforce the laws as written, get out of the law enforcement field.

2010-05-21 2:40 PM

Champion
CBarnes - 2010-05-21 3:09 PM This is insane the head of the INS declares he may not process Illegals turned over to INS by the State.  All the state is doing it attempting to uphold US Law.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/official-says-feds-process-illegals-referred-arizona/

You react as though the INS is an agency of unlimited resources.  To me, his statement merely one of pragmatism.  Even those immigrants who are turned over from the State are still afforded the process of deportation.

His statement, as paraphrased in the article but not quoted directly, was that they will "not necessarily" process illegal immigrants referred to them.  That does not mean that NONE will be processed but simply that NOT ALL will be processed.

Federal law prescribes the steps that must be taken during the deportation process including representation of counsel and a hearing by an immigration judge.  Being as those are limited resources, only so many immigrants can be processed through the system.  Personally, I would rather see resources applied to deport a legal immigrant who has been convicted of a felony before they are applied to an illegal immigrant who has been convicted of misdemeanor trespassing.

2010-05-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2874581

Champion
the colony texas

I'm never sure how accurate any paper quotes someone but this doesn't seem like it has anything to do with limited resources.  It seems more like a technicality of the law.  In that they don't have to accept anyone that wasn't brought to them by the federal government.  Which leads to my question, can the state alone deport them??

for some reason (don't know why)this whole thing reminds me of Pharmacists that don't want to fill prescription based on thier beliefs.

Meanwhile, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

2010-05-21 4:10 PM

Champion
Henderson NV
Bus them to Los Angeles since they make such a positive impact on the city. By its actions and its words this Federal Government is alienation at least one state and causing rifts between people that should not exist.

2010-05-21 4:28 PM

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Anything for a vote come November.   Politics has hit all time lows and that is saying a lot.   Even the Tea Party favorite Scott Brown voted against GOP lines for the most recent Financial Bill passed by congress.   Just him and two others from Main.   Why?  Because Mass Mutual Insurance is based in his state and they were given special exemption.   Disgusting! 
2010-05-21 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2874887

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
cardenas1 - 2010-05-21 2:28 PM Anything for a vote come November.   Politics has hit all time lows and that is saying a lot.   Even the Tea Party favorite Scott Brown voted against GOP lines for the most recent Financial Bill passed by congress.   Just him and two others from Main.   Why?  Because Mass Mutual Insurance is based in his state and they were given special exemption.   Disgusting! 

This is an issue that hits close to home.  Part of the financial reform is making the top 50 insurance carriers contribute to a fund in order to fund future failures.  Not one insurance company had to be bailed out during the crisis.  If you take the P&C portion of AIG on its own merit, it was fine.  Hartford took money after purchasing a bank to qualify, but it paid it back once it realized the strings attached.

All carriers contribute to guaranty funds in the state that they do business in, in order to fund for insolvent carriers and by including them in the financial reform bill for something they did not cause is completely misguided as well as a double hit.  The consumer will suffer the consequences of an administration and Congress that could not swim its way out of the kiddie pool.

This WILL be a charge that is passed to the consumer, so look for your personal and commercial insurance to increase. 
2010-05-21 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2874940

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
SGriepsma - 2010-05-21 3:02 PM
cardenas1 - 2010-05-21 2:28 PM Anything for a vote come November.   Politics has hit all time lows and that is saying a lot.   Even the Tea Party favorite Scott Brown voted against GOP lines for the most recent Financial Bill passed by congress.   Just him and two others from Main.   Why?  Because Mass Mutual Insurance is based in his state and they were given special exemption.   Disgusting! 

This is an issue that hits close to home.  Part of the financial reform is making the top 50 insurance carriers contribute to a fund in order to fund future failures.  Not one insurance company had to be bailed out during the crisis.  If you take the P&C portion of AIG on its own merit, it was fine.  Hartford took money after purchasing a bank to qualify, but it paid it back once it realized the strings attached.

All carriers contribute to guaranty funds in the state that they do business in, in order to fund for insolvent carriers and by including them in the financial reform bill for something they did not cause is completely misguided as well as a double hit.  The consumer will suffer the consequences of an administration and Congress that could not swim its way out of the kiddie pool.

This WILL be a charge that is passed to the consumer, so look for your personal and commercial insurance to increase. 

Have to quote myself...I just went on the Insurance Journal site and it said this piece was removed from the bill last night.  I take it back, for once Congress actually listened and agreed that the insurance industry did not pose the same systemic risk.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » US INS May not process illegals Rss Feed