General Discussion Race Reports! » American Brain Tumor Path to Progress Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Brain Tumor Path to Progress - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
CARA/USATA
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 52s
Overall Rank = 49/1386
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm clock. Packed the kids bags. Packed my bags. Fed them b-fast. Ate my bagel/peanut butter/coffee. Drove kids to babysitter, then drove to race.
Event warmup:

Wasn't freezing, but cold enough that if you stopped moving, you got cold. Race started 10 minutes late, so we got kind of cold waiting. I am NOT good at warming up for this kind of stuff. Hmm, need to establish a better routine.
Run
  • 21m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided to try the suggestion of going all out first mile and then trying to maintain. I think it might have worked. I PR'ed by over a minute. Felt really awful around .75 miles, saw my mile split (6:40) and settled down into a less ludicrous pace (7:14, 7:16).
What would you do differently?:

Get my speedwork up to 3 miles (it's around 2 right now). Vary my runs with some tempo?!? The race strategy itself seemed to work. I didn't die from going out super fast at the beginning. I guess the internets were right. The theory is that most middle-experienced (vs elite or beginner) runners go out too slow in a 5k and you can't make up ground lost in such a short race. Kind of makes sense.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched and cheered for a while. Saw Blackledge (Ryan) and Mrs. Blackledge (Laura) cross the line. Went with them and Thndrcloud (Alison) to a cool neighborhood breakfast joint where they have burritos the size of your HEAD!!! It was fun to meet my online friends from BT and geek out about triathlons in person for a while. We MAY have a scheme to meet for a late season tri, and maybe some other stuff before then...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I'm at the point where more miles, especially more quality miles, and perhaps losing a little more weight is going to pay the most dividends. Under 22 is a good milestone for me. I'd like to race below 7 minute miles at the end of the season perhaps.

Event comments:

This race was for brain tumor survivors and the families who have lost loved ones to brain tumors. It was unusual in that there were far fewer runners than walkers and while it was not a sad atmosphere, I felt very mindful of the pain and loss my fellow participants had suffered. I was thrilled to perform my personal best, but I was also thankful for the simpler joy of being alive today.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:52 | 03.11 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 49/1386
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat with a mild grade up out and down back. Out and back look on bike path south of Soldier Field and around the McCormack Center.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-22 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: American Brain Tumor Path to Progress

2010-05-22 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2875775

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: American Brain Tumor Path to Progress

Holey Moley -- Nice run today!! 2nd in your AG. I appreciate your thoughtfulness about the run as well. I'm a bit envious of you all getting to meet, but I'm glad you did. Great photo!! Are you in the middle? Again, congrats on a great PR run!! I'll have to look up that starting out fast stuff.

2010-05-23 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2875987

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
lmscozz - 2010-05-22 8:37 PM

Holey Moley -- Nice run today!! 2nd in your AG. I appreciate your thoughtfulness about the run as well. I'm a bit envious of you all getting to meet, but I'm glad you did. Great photo!! Are you in the middle? Again, congrats on a great PR run!! I'll have to look up that starting out fast stuff.

It was fun...although we did feel a bit like internet nerds...I guess it's not all that unusual anymore.  I'll see if I can find a link to the 5k strategery stuff...Q 
2010-05-23 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Great run, and great write up!  Glad you Manatees got to meet in person.  Very cool.
2010-05-23 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I have such awesome post-race hair.  Although, to be fair, it wasn't much better before the race.

You did such a great job Quincy.  I hope I can move as fast as you someday.  Tell Chris congrats on his AG win for us.
2010-05-23 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
wow quincy- great race!!  You have some speed!!!  I dream of the day when I can maintain an 8 min mile and not consider it an all out sprint... 7 min miles are not even entering my dreams yet LOL

2010-05-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2876294

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Runner's World Article with calculator
Running Planet Article with pacing strategies for various experience levels 

Apparently if I see it TWICE on the internets, it's the gospel... 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Brain Tumor Path to Progress Rss Feed