General Discussion Race Reports! » American Brain Tumor Path to Progress Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Brain Tumor Path to Progress - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 39s
Overall Rank = 843/1386
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 125/163
Pre-race routine:

Ate toast and an egg white. Water. Walked about 20 minutes to the start area.
Event warmup:

Stood around for about an hour after checking in. Met fellow BTer Allison and then Quincy. Chatted for awhile then walked over to line up. We were near the front but then decided to move backwards (about halfway back). Later realized that the race line-up tunnel was cut off in the middle with a fence for walkers to stand behind it. Therefore we were actually near the back of runners not in the middle.
I just tried to keep moving around a bit and stretching to keep warm since it was foggy/misty and cool out.
Run
  • 33m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I did this run with my wife. We always do one 5k/year together and this was it for this year. She just started running last year and this was her 3rd 5k ever. She wanted to beat her race time last year of 34:46 so I told her that I would run with her and help her pace and keep her motivated.
It was really, really foggy that morning and wife was having a hard time with the moisture in the air/breathing/keeping cool.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing since I ran with my wife. I am very happy that she was able to set a PR for her for a 5k by over a minute!

I have a 3.5 mile race on Thursday so I will put more into this race. It's the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge where office workers from all over Chicago race together. It's usually really crowded and about 1/2 mile longer than a 5k but should be a good time overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank water. Walked over to a local restaurant with Allison, Quincy, and Chris for breakfast. It was quite tasty but I am still disappointed that Allison could not finish a burrito as large as her head! ;-)
It was great meeting other BTers in person and we are thinking about possibly doing future races together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just paced with my wife and she is slower than me. But I was more than happy to be able to run another race with her.

Event comments:

The race started late without any announcements regarding the delay. One water station at mile 2. But food selection at the end was maybe the best I have ever seen for a 5k. There were bananas, bagels, pretzels, water, juice boxes, McDonald's apple dippers w/caramel, granola bars, protein drinks, etc.

Last updated: 2010-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:39 | 03.11 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 125/163
Overall: 843/1386
Performance: Below average
Course: Relatively flat along the lakefront on an asphalt running surface. Path was narrow at times and had to run around people into the grass/mud.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: American Brain Tumor Path to Progress

2010-05-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2877780

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: American Brain Tumor Path to Progress

Nice job supporting the DW!! I didn't know there were Chicago style burritos!! Nice RR!

2010-05-24 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2878018

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: American Brain Tumor Path to Progress
Ryan, good call on mentioning post race food put out by ABTA...it is a nice little run they put on...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Brain Tumor Path to Progress Rss Feed