General Discussion Race Reports! » The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clinton, New Jersey
United States
New Jersey Multisport Association
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 03m 54s
Overall Rank = 92/156
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/25
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my first triathlon since 2004, didn't really have a routine yet. Woke up at 4. Made a pot of Christopher Bean coffee and ate a bowl of Bare Naked Granola with Skim Plus. Loaded up the car and drove the 1 hour to the race site. Arrived around 5:45 and it was humid and overcast. Set up my transition area pretty well. Thought I was using a waterproof blanket since it was going to rain. Set all my gear up in a pretty organized manner and folded the blanket over the gear to keep it dry. Turns out the blanket was not water proof at all. But more on that later. About 30 minutes before the start went down to the bath house to relieve myself and put on the wetsuit. Lubed up to all the right parts, wrists, ankles, back of neck. We then headed down to the beach for the wave starts. I was in the second wave.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of a lot of standing around chit chatting, with my normal nervous stupid conversations. Didn't really know what to expect, except that I know I was going to use this event as a practice for Lake Placid.
Swim
  • 41m 48s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started raining shortly before the start of the swim, but since I was about to go swimming, I didn't really care about that. Did a little water acclimation before the swim. Wasn't too unbearable. First wave went off and then 5 minutes later was our wave. As par for the course I had a little panic session, however it was nowhere near what I have had in the past. Realized I cant see the bottom and some people too close to me for comfort. Calmed myself down a bit and moved away from the people. This all felt like 10 minutes, but was probably more like 1 or 2. Finally got my rhythm with my stroke and my breathing. My sighting for the first half was spot on. Got to the first turn buoy and took a look at my watch expecting it to say something like 25 minutes, boy was I wrong, it was 15:39. Soooooo happy. I just then continued what I was doing. Felt like some of the rescue boats may have been too close because at times I felt like I could smell exhaust and maybe taste some gas/oil in the water. No worries, just kept going. At one point I was passing some swimmers from the first wave and that made me feel really awesome. But not too long after, I was passed by some swimmers from the next wave after me and that king of sucked. Made the final turn and then head to shore. Sighting on this section was not as good, but still good for me. Overall I was shooting for 40 minutes for the swim and finished on my watch in 39 and change. The official time is longer because I had to relieve myself so on the way transition I hit the bath house and took of my wetsuit and relieved myself. Then headed to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my cycling jersey under my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

T1 was more of a cluster since everything I thought was going to be dry was soaked, socks, shoes, glasses, etc. Oh well, since it was still raining a bit didn't matter much because it all would have gotten wet anyway. Donned my jersey, rang out my socks and put them on pretty easily (love the Aevero Jersey and Socks). Headsweats glasses, gloves, helmet shoes on Put my gels and tools in back pocket and I was off. Immediately I realized I had less than ideal shorts for this ride. I used older tri shorts that the pad was virtually gone. Oh well - lesson learned.

Probably get an aeronet so stuff wasn't bouncing around in my jersey. Make darned sure my blanket/covers were waterproof.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I thought the bike was great. First half averaged 18.9MPH which is huge for me. Overall final average (due to lousy pavement, winds and climbs on second half) ended up at 17.3 MPH still really good for me. Took in approximately 1740 calories during the ride; 1200 in Infinit off the back of the seat in my BeakerConcepts holder, 300 Clif Shot Drink on the downtube, 240 Honey Stinger Gels. I did also forget to throw my banana into my back pocket, but turned out I didn't need it. About 35 miles in started feeling burning/pain in right side of neck and right shoulder. Must figure out what that was about. Coolest thing I saw: a huge hawk flew out of the woods about 5 feet in front of the rider in front of me around mile 15. The hawk came out of the woods at the same level as the riders head and flew off. If the hawk waited three seconds, he would have most like flew right into the rider and knocked him down. Was really cool to see.

On the second half of the ride there were lots of climbs and some nice flat sections. Unfortunately I couldn't hammer those flat sections because the wind was coming in strong, right into my face.

The last 7.5 miles was truly enjoyable as it was flat to slightly downhill so I was able to crank all the way home.

Train harder.
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Unfortunately I forgot to layout my backup socks and nipguards. So I just put on my shoes, changed my headwear (visor) and put some That Butt Stuff on my nipples for protection. Took my glasses out and they were all misty so I put them on top of my visor. Put on my fuel belt as tight as I could. Started running out of transition and the fuel belt was bouncing and slowly falling off, so I turned around and took it off and left without it.

Have better fitting Fuel Belt.
Run
  • 1h 58m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good about the run, although I would like to have run it a bit faster. Was able to chase down a friend that finished the bike well ahead of me. Did a lot of chatting with the volunteers. I also walked the hill both times, because I really felt that it wouldn't gain me anything to run it, and would rather hurt me for the flats, and it turned out I was right. The finish through some woods and then along the reservoir was beautiful and inspiring. Came up to the finish shoot and the announce called out my number and my name (that was kind of cool). And just like that it was all over.

Not much
Post race
Warm down:

Kept moving, packing up mu stuff and drinking water and electrolytes. Went to the BBQ which was pretty good. Got myself a hot dog and hamburger. Drove home and started eating like it was my last meal. Didnt really stop eating until I went to bed at 10:00. Woke up next day and still felt pretty good. Cant believe how good I feel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Skills

Event comments:

They ran out of hamburger buns so my hamburger was on a split hot dog bun. They also somehow ran out of finishers medals which is weird because they pride themselves on the medals.

Last updated: 2010-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:48 | 1931 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 118/156
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Sevent Reaction Full
Course: The course was pretty flat as it is water. Course was a trapezoidal shape, with different colored buoys marking the 1/2 course and the sprint course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:16:31 | 56 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Overall: 91/156
Wind: Headwind
Course: First half very very fast, second half lots of climbs and less than ideal pavement. Took many descents and turns very cautiously due to wet road conditions.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:07 | 13.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 77/156
Course: Two loop that was pretty flat with 1 big hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Subject: The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Here's my race report.

Edited by scottgreenstone 2010-05-24 3:32 PM

2010-05-24 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2878999

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon

great job is some not so ideal conditions!!!  ...sorry all of sprinters ate up all of the buns and took home the medals. :P I agree on the boats....second year that gassy/oily smell has been laying on top of the water.  The race was a lot better organized than it was 2 years ago too. 

Heck of a run time, especially on that course!

2010-05-24 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Great job out there! I thought the race was challenging and good prep. Strong finish! Keep up the good fight and look forward to racing LP with you. Did they run out of medals or just not have any? Did the Sprint get the same medal and that is why they ran out? Oh well, they said they will mail them. It's all good. Thought the State Police and the volunteers did a nice job out there. Good luck with the rest of your training.
2010-05-25 7:32 AM

User image

Congrats great race.
2010-05-26 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Great race and nice report.

2010-05-26 10:38 AM

Expert
Congrats! great job out there

2010-05-26 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
solid run after what sounds like a pretty challenging bike ride!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed