Trifort
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 39s
Overall Rank = 71/97
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Dog got sick in the middle of the night so didn't get as much sleep as I wouldn've liked, but woke up at 5:00 feeling pretty relaxed. Made bagel with peanut butter for the ride. Wrote a note to the family and headed out the door. Ate about half the bagel, a banana, yogurt with granola and drank water during the enjoyable 1.5 hr drive. Good signs within park to direct us to the site.
Event warmup:

Bathroom right by the parking lot so that worked well, then picked up packet, got race gear from car and set up transition. Used my new Rocket Science Rocket Bag which kept me organized. Took bike for a spin so I could get shoes clipped in, gears set right and figure the first part of the course. Walked down to the beach to look at the swim and asked questions of the volunteers who were very helpful. Took a short run on the trails. Spent the rest of the time putting on my new full wetsuit. Fun. :o) After info meeting, went to the lake and swam a bit to warm up.
Swim
  • 32h 07m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 1h 57m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Because the guys wave took off with the buoys on their left, we had to follow, then cut in, so navigation was a little tricky. Started out nice and slow. Got kicked and kicked a few back, but there weren't that many of us, so we spread out quickly. No drafting capabilities since only a couple women are as slow as me. Got into a good, steady rhythm then remembered that I needed to sight. Hadn't strayed off course too bad. Lake was clear, water temp was nice with full wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Put body glide on my neck - got skin burn from wetsuit. Nothing different on swim itself. Staying slow and steady instead of my usual fast panic made for my most enjoyable tri swim ever.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Hey, I ranked first in my AG on this and 24th overall. Woot!

Work on getting out of full wetsuit - stepping on suit to get it over heels. Left came out quickly, but right got stuck.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 56s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was well marked and volunteers were plentiful. When the results came in, I was surprised by my low pace because I felt like I was going at a better clip. Every time I looked at my computer, I was, but ugh - so I'm slow on the swim and the bike. :) No matter, it was enjoyable.

I obviously need to spend more time in the saddle and ramp up interval and hill training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Since this was a muddy trail run, I used an old pair of running shoes with pull laces instead of my flats with elastic laces. When I took them off after the prerace warmup, I forgot to loosen the laces, so I had to take extra time to do that in T2. I dropped to 2 in my AG and 44 overall.

Take a third or fourth look at my transition area to make sure the smallest detail didn't get overlooked.
Run
  • 1h 01m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't do any trail running training so didn't have any expectation other than to enjoy the experience. I loved it! I loved the change of scenery and the time flew by. Good folks on the course encouraging you along. I didn't have to stop or slow at any point of the hilly course so I was happy with my legs performance.

Nothing. If you go into something with no expectations, you can come out on the other side joyfully.
Post race
Warm down:

Maybe because I didn't push myself, I finished feeling so strong. I'd fueled enough on the bike and run that all I got was some water and a strawberry. I planned to stop in Fort Wayne at Asakusa and bring home sushi, so the pancakes didn't have an appeal for me. Talked to some folks while I packed up, then hit the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't up for a podium spot, so I kept my pace comfortable, just wanting to enjoy the day. I used this race as a test for my first HIM in July and was happy with my training thus far.

Event comments:

This race was so much fun. Well organized. I got a kick out of them saying my name on the loud speaker as I moved from the swim to the bike, the bike to the run and then at the finish. Nice personal touch although there wasn't any one there who cared who I was. :) I loved being in a state park and the beauty of racing through different terrain. Fun, fun, happy, happy and finishing with a smile is what it's all about for me.

Last updated: 2010-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
32:07:25 | 1640 yards | 1h 57m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 88/97
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science Sports Full
Course: Out and back with buoys on right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:56 | 24.85 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 77/97
Wind: Little
Course: Major intersection out of park but with good police presence, then rolling country roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:01:24 | 06.21 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 58/97
Course: Wet, hilly trail run through woods and meadows.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-26 5:14 AM

User image

Subject: Pokagon State Park Triathlon

2010-05-26 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2882427

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Pokagon State Park Triathlon
It sounds like you had real fun during this race, congrats!

I like your description of the trail run, I can only recommend trail running, so much fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pokagon State Park Triathlon Rss Feed