Greenbrook racing
~62F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 01m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 5am - nice that this race is so close to home. Car packed nite before. Coffee, yogurt, clif bar, Amino Vital drink.

Arrived @ 6am with my buddy who I convinced to tri a try. Racked the bikes, and chilled out.
Event warmup:

Sleeveless wetsuit on, calmed my friend's nerves - we were in same wave so that was good. After the national anthem we waded into lake for warmups. Water temp was 68 according to RD and it felt great.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 580 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt really relaxed at the start, hometown venue, but very murky water made sighting frequent.

Saw my two sons on the bank of the lake with a sign that read "GO PAPA JOHN" so I got pumped as we waved back and forth to each other.

Took an inside line, but in the back of pack; this cost me some time as I had to swim around people over the first part of the course.

Made the turn feeling strong - a quick glance at my watch and it was just under 5 mins, so not too bad a pace. Not very fast, but still good for me.
What would you do differently?:

Start further up, maybe a bit more outside. Last 200 yds I abandoned my "slow is smooth, smooth is fast, slow is fast" mantra and probably should not have .... was breathing every stroke as I was trying to get into shoreline...
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Great T1 after the run down the grassy hill. I helped a woman in front of me unzip her stuck zipped as we trucked into T1. Much better T1 time then last year @ this race (my first race ever) when I was rolling on the ground tugging at wetsuit for over 3 mins!

Started garmin after putting on my wrist. Ran out barefoot w bike to mounting area ... why does everyone stop right at the cone? move up a little.... jumped on bike, got shoes on (no sox) within a short time.

nothing. bike was in the correct gear... maybe get a bike mount for the garmin. at least i turned it on when I left transition before the start of the race so it was locked onto satellites.
Bike
  • 33m
  • 10 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs were feeling heavy and tired - could have done much better on the hills. Probably should not have ran 13 mi two days before but my HIM key workouts had to take precedence over this race with a HIM in two weeks.

Overall my bike cadence has improved since last year which I'm happy about.

Could have been stronger on the hills. Oh well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Last half mile is downhill and I was ripping it .... took off shoes in advance of dismount area, and cruised in standing on one leg ready to jump off bike. Picked up bike and ran up curb to sidewalk/T1, running shoes, visor on and quickly exit a short uphill grassy run to street.

I flew thru this transition.
Run
  • 27m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Started strong, but bad stomach cramp within first half mile. Belched a few times and felt like I was going to vomit. I never cramp like this ... too much lake water perhaps?

Could only manage 9:00mm pace with cramp, then it went away and I picked it up to a 7:30 mm, then 6:30, then 5:30 sprint the last quarter mile.

Very disappointed in the run - I was ready to put up a nice 22:00 or 23:00 run split but I cramped and that killed me. Still managed to gut it out and finish strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed the family, and ran back out to find my buddy ... ran the last half mile with him, cheering him in ... he finished strong.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps on the run ...

Event comments:

Excelllent race by RD Joe Patenella and Greenbrook Racing. LOVED the fact it is 15 mins from my house. Great to have the family there at a (somewhat) reasonable hour....race started at 8am, my wave was 8:09.

Overall I was able to try out swimming w HR strap, new sleeveless wetsuit, and practice transitions before my HIM race, so I am pleased. Also got a friend into tri's, and hung out with fellow members of Jersey Shore tri club - one was 4th OA !!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 580 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra sleeveless
Course: V shaped, turnaround at point of V, up a muddy bank and down grassy hill ~ 75 yds to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:00 | 10 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Four-sided "square", two good climbs on segments #2 and #4, not a lot of flat areas ... lots of rollers. http://www.greenbrookracing.com/Docracemap.html Roads were somewhat wet from previous night's rain, and it was misting a little bit.
Road:   Cadence: 80+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, first half uphill, then downhill to bring it home.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-27 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Pantellas Doc and Sok

2010-05-28 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2885343

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Pantellas Doc and Sok

Nice strong finish on the run! That water was gross!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pantellas Doc and Sok Rss Feed