Canada
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 59s
Overall Rank = 70/212
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed early the night before - had a good night's sleep - only woke up a couple of times. Each time I had some water and went back to sleep. Woke up at 5:00 to have breakfast (1 can of ensure) and laid down and relaxed until around 5:40. Got dressed, put the bike on the rack and headed to the race. Got to the site around 6:00 - got marked and headed to transition. Set everything up and double checked all my gear. Chatted to some people in transition and then headed out around 6:35 for a ten minute jog. Decided to skip a bike warmup and headed to the lake. Had a gel and then headed for the water but I had just gotten my feet wet when they called us back in.
Event warmup:

Chatted to some people in transition and then headed out around 6:35 for a ten minute jog. Decided to skip a bike warmup and headed to the lake. Had a gel and then headed for the water but I had just gotten my feet wet when they called us back in.
Swim
  • 15m 25s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first competitive open water swim and I'm not sure whether or not I should have expected to swim faster or slower in open water. I didn't have a wetsuit and most of the athletes did but I was able to stay with the second group (might have been the third by the end but it was the second for most of the race). I started outside and back and was surpirsed at how quickly the horn went off after they told us we were in the hands of the starter. I found some feet and could actually feel the draft pulling me along. I swam nice and steady throughout and felt comfortable for the whole swim. I had some trouble spotting the second buoy after the turn but as we were swimming in a paddling course I followed the buoy line towards the next turn buoy. I have been swimming 1:40 or so in the pool so I'm not sure if the switch to OW made that big a difference or if the course was a little long. I will have a better idea when I have a look at some of the other times and compare them to mine.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more in OW to get more comfortable with sighting. That seemed to be the biggest problem that I had. Beyond that, I feel that my pace and exertion were good and I felt great at the end of the swim. I also want to look at getting a wetsuit and starting to train in that to see if it improves my performance enough to make it useful.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

I was slow - the run from the swim exit to the transition area was at least 400m and by the time I got to my bike I had some difficulty standing up straight. This led to problems getting my socks and shoes on which made this transition way too long.

I need to practice more starting with my shoes on the bike and seeing if I can handle biking and running without socks. This would have probably saved me at least a minute on this transition. My goal will be to gain at least a minute in my next T1.
Bike
  • 40m 52s
  • 20.2 kms
  • 29.66 km/hr
Comments:

Within about 2km I found that my front derailler had an issue - it was rubbing on the chainring when in the middle blade. This wasn't a big deal for the first 5km as I was in the big ring and cruising fairly well. However, the second 5km with lots of climbs led to some odd gearing combinations as I couldn't use my middle blade - only the big and small ring so I was in some combos that I would normally never have used. I was able to do fairly well going out - getting passed by three riders and passing one and on the way back I was passed by two more riders. On the return trip I was very comfortable and able to use my big gear most of the way.

Double check my shifting before the race - losing one of my chainrings was definitely a hinderance to my performance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I was a little slow here as well - I think I should be able to cut 30 seconds off this time. I knew how to get to my spot on the rack - however with the gravel in transition I didn't take my feet out of my shoes on the bike. As well, I had some trouble with the race belt which I wasn't 100% sure whether or not I had to have on as I left the transition or not.

Take my feet out of my shoes and run into transition with the bike. Put on my running shoes (need to get speed or elastic laces) and grab everything else to put on as I hit the course. My goal is to gain 30 seconds on this at the next race.
Run
  • 22m 57s
  • 4.78 kms
  • 04m 48s  min/km
Comments:

My legs felt dead for the first km or so but I was able to run just under 5:00/km for the first couple of km. There were several rolling hills which caused several pace changes throughout. I passed one athlete from my wave but was passed by a provincial team member from the second wave (15 minutes behind me - someday I want to be that fast!). I felt pretty good on the run - I should have started my kick a little earlier but I think overall the pacing was good. As I was coming in I saw the clock and realized with a little more effort I could finish in under 1:23 - so I did in 1:22:59 - just made it!

Take all the water offered and if I don't need to drink it use it to dump over my head - it was fairly warm by the end of the race and I think I would have benefited from the extra effort to stay cool. Start my kick a little earlier - maybe another 2-400m or so.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched for about twenty minutes. Cheered on the other racers coming in and then headed out for a shower and to get changed before the elite race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My transitions and open water swimming. I will be working on both of these things leading up to my last sprint at the end of the month.

Event comments:

My goal at this race was to finish in 1:20 or under. I missed this by three minutes but know that I can make up that time in my transitions and with having all the gears working on my bike. I was very happy with this race and think that given the much more challenging course than the previous race that I performed very well and look forward to the next one!

Last updated: 2005-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:25 | 750 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 62/212
Performance: Average
Avg HR 158
Suit: Trisuit
Course: One clockwise lap in Lake Banook.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:52 | 20.2 kms | 29.66 km/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 74/212
Performance: Average
Out - 22:46 HR - 169 Back - 18:06 HR - 167
Wind: Little
Course: The course was an out and back on Waverly Road and Montague Road. I have had the chance to ride this course several times and knew it very well. The first 5km was relatively flat and then the next 5km had lots of climbs. From the turnaround it was mainly downhill for 5km and then flat for the last 5km. There is lots of time to be made up in the return trip.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:57 | 04.78 kms | 04m 48s  min/km
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 78/212
Performance: Good
Avg HR 170
Course: An out and back on about half sidewalk and half trail. The course was much more technical than the last race with more hills and some tighter corners.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-04 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Investors Group Triathlon

2005-07-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: #189634

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Investors Group Tri
congrats on a good race. I like how you have already spotted your opportunity for improvement.

Ken
2005-07-04 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome race Shane!!! Like Ken said, it looks like you already have a plan for making improvements the next time around, so that's great. Keep up the great work.

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2005-07-04 8:41 PM
2005-07-04 8:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job!!

You did great and really going on the bike...do you normally ride with that HR? OWS practice will make you feel more comfortable. Top 1/3...I only of doing so well.

You did awesome....thanks for sharing your RR!

2005-07-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #190083

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
KathyG - 2005-07-04 9:54 PM

Great Job!!

You did great and really going on the bike...do you normally ride with that HR? OWS practice will make you feel more comfortable. Top 1/3...I only of doing so well.

You did awesome....thanks for sharing your RR!

Thanks for the feedback! I was really happy with my ride even though the course was much harder than the last tri. I normally ride with a much lower HR - most training rides between 130-140 however I felt great at the high HR for the entire ride.

Shane
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Investors Group Triathlon Rss Feed