Santa Clarita Runners
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = UNK/UNK
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 6:30a and had a Banana and a Marathon bar. My back was feeling pretty good and I was sitting and standing up with minimal pain. Drank 1/2L of H2O before I left.
Event warmup:

Got to the race and registered. I had about 1+hour before the race started so I walked around the park and stretched out while having another 1L of H2O. Initial stretching felt really good and my legs and back were pretty loose. Watched the Kiddie K @ 8:30 and then they announced that the start time for the 5k was pushed back to 9:15a. Now I have been waiting around for almost 2 hours and I really want to get this thing going. My back started to tighten up so I stretched some more and took a bathroom break. Ran into an old buddy that I grew up with and talked to him right before the start. Finally I heard the National Anthem over my iPod and knew it was time to get going.
Run
  • 26m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best run by a LONG shot!!! My back really tightened up about 30min before the run and I had to give it some serious stretching right before we got going. Went out pretty well initially and was feeling good for the first mile. Then my right side stich from the TRI last weekend reared its ugly head with a vengance!!! I really started hurting and backed down a bit. When I made the turn onto Lyons I was really hurting and the water at the water station shortly thereafter was really warm. Picked it up a bit on the downhill but I was side cramping pretty bad at the turnaround and walked about 30-40m. Got back to running but walked on part of the up hill section. I just was not feeling well. About 3/4mi beofre the finish I got a good kick and got another one on the finishing straightaway. When I saw the official timeclock was way over 26:00 (target time) I was a little disheartened and backed it down a bit heading into the chute.
What would you do differently?:

Get my body right!!! I was sick all week and though I ran 2x, lifted, and did a 15mi bike ride, I think I really hurt my body more than I helped it. I was snotting throughout the race and my back really is messed up. Add that to the stich that really has not gone away all week and it makes for a shitty morning. Saving grace is that before most people got up this morning, I had already run a 5k...
Post race
Warm down:

Well...upon finishing there was NO WATER left, some bagels (no cream cheese), and bottom of the barrel bananas and oranges. I got a lemon lime soda and a bagel and stretched a bit then took off...I didnt really need to hang around for the raffle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Back pain, Head cold for most of the week that did not go away, gnarly side stich!!!

Event comments:

I am pretty sure that the organizers did expect so many people and hence the post race lack of water and food. Volunteers did a good job directing the runners and it was fun to have thousands of people lining the course while running. I guess I would do this race again next year if I am out in the SCV but there are also other races...We shall see...

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:45 | 03.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/UNK
Performance: Average
Course: Went out straight from the park on Dalbey St. and made a right on Orchard Village, made another right on Ave. Ramora (?), right on Ignacio St, right back onto Dalbey and then back up to make a left on Orchard Village. Ran Orchard Village to a left on Lyons Ave, Lyons to San Fernando Rd. (turnaround). Gradual but mildly steep uphill from San Fernando to OLPH Church on Lyons. Right on Orchard Village, back to Dalbey to the finish. Very cool that the race course was also the 4th of July parade route so it was lined with people three deep on both sides of the street for the entire route. People were awesome by cheering and waving flags the whole way!!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-04 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: Santa Clarita Independence Day 5k

2005-07-08 12:51 PM
in reply to: #189811

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Santa Clarita Independence Day 5k
Hey I'm sorry the run didn't go that well for you and your time wasn't that far over 26 minutes. I say that you had a pretty successful race since you weren't feeling 100%. I'm looking forward to reading about your next 5km race so I can hear about how you went under 26.

Jen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Clarita Independence Day 5k Rss Feed