English Bay Triathlon Club
9C / 48F
Precipitation
Total Time = 57m 16s
Overall Rank = 20/78
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

It was absolutely PISSING down with rain. The kind where you walk outside and you are soaked in mere moments so the pre-race routine consisted of trying to find as many plastic bags as possible to put my stuff in so that my shoes and socks would at least be dry for a couple of moments after each transition. Other than that, try not to get hypothermia.
Event warmup:

Did a couple of lengths of the pool to try and warm up (had the full-body shiver going on and fully numb feet by this point - super fun!) and then did some running in the pool in a completely vain attempt to have any body heat whatsoever. Really, it was a complete fail to try and be warm in any any.
Swim
  • 09m 58s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Yet again I put myself into too slow a swim group, but started out second so I was able to pass the first person by the end of the first length... well do that tap on the foot thing and people were pretty good about stopping at the end of the length. I then had clear sailing in front of me up to the 6th length where there were a couple of people who were really struggling. Had to come to a complete stop behind them til the end of the length, then was clear sailing again.
What would you do differently?:

Gonna sound like a broken record here... as with every other race I've done, put myself into a faster swim category!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No idea what any of my transition times actually were as they all just kind of got lumped in somewhere.

It was a fairly long transition between the pool and the bike rack area, so by the time I got to T1, my feet and hands were pretty frozen and numb again, which made me fumble a LOT with getting into my socks and shoes. I also couldn't find my arm warmers last night and made the last minute decision to put on a long sleeved shirt, which was a mistake - I could have done without it.

Go with my game plan and find my damn arm warmers... oh wait - there they are, right where I left them on the kitchen counter. D'OH!
Bike
  • 24m 51s
  • 10 kms
  • 24.14 km/hr
Comments:

BAH! Again my water bottle holder breaks during the race, but this time not wearing anything to be able to carry it with me in any other way. GRRRR!!!! So I had NO liquid whatsoever for the bike which really, really sucked - but I just kept saying to myself that it was only 10km and to just HTFU. Legs were cold, felt like bricks, and REALLY didn't want to work until the hill, I actually wanted to keep climbing when I hit it cuz my legs were FINALLY starting to warm up.

Road condition was pretty terrible all the way around and on the entire downhill (1200m of downhill into T2) there was construction so it was down to 1 lane that we were supposed to use and hopefully navigate around cars, or at least try not to run into any of them. Wet, wet roads also made the conditions a tad sketchy.

Hmmm... buy a rear water bottle holder thingy, cuz the set-up I have now certainly isn't working!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Hooray for Yankz! God it made T2 soooo much better and faster than my last race, will never, ever go back to actual laces. Took a couple of sips of my Gatorade as I had nothing on the bike and off I went!

Nada, this was pretty smooth!
Run
  • 22m 27s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I really, really enjoyed the fact that it was a trail run, it was great! Got my breathing and running under control much faster than in the last race and got into my pace pretty quickly which was also nice.

Well, I still suck ass at running and I'm slow as molasses in January, so I need to be faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Get into dry clothes! Thankfully I put my knapsack with my dry clothes in it back into the car so that it didn't get soaked along with everything else that was outside. Other than that, have a waffle - YUM!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The freezing temps, the pissing down rain, that I keep putting myself in too slow a swim group and the fact that I still suck at running

Event comments:

It was a really fun race to do and the entire proceeds go to charity, so I'll definitely do it again next year! HUGE kudos to the volunteers who also had to stand in the cold, wet, freezing temps as we were racing.

Now, where the hell is the sunshine?!?

Last updated: 2010-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:58 | 500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/78
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi tri-suit (OMG love it, love it, love it!)
Course: 50m laps of a (thank god) heated outdoor pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:24:51 | 10 kms | 24.14 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The road around Stanley Park. Only one real hill and even that isn't all that bad.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:27 | 04 kms | 05m 37s  min/km
Performance:
Course: Was a great trail run through Stanley Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Lees Trail Triathlon

2010-06-01 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2894283

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Lees Trail Triathlon
Nice race for you!  glad you enjoyed the run.  trail runs are fun!  and yes, the the water bottle holder thingy!
2010-06-01 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2894640

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
rayd - 2010-06-01 2:17 PM Nice race for you!  glad you enjoyed the run.  trail runs are fun!  and yes, the the water bottle holder thingy!

Thanks!  Yep, the trail run was definitely the best part of the race... well, other than the waffles at the end - those pretty much rocked! 

Already called my LBC to tell him to put one of the rear water bottle holder thingys aside for me (that's clearly the technical term, I'm sure!) picking it up Tuesday!  YAY!
2010-06-13 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2894283

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Great job in less than ideal racing conditions. Sucks about the water bottle holder, I'm sure you'll rock it next time with the new "thingy" setup.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lees Trail Triathlon Rss Feed