General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #3 PM: Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple T - Race #3 PM: Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 2h 31m 39s
Overall Rank = 49/372
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Took a nap at the campsite to reclaim some of the t-storm lost sleep from the night before. Set up transition for the Bike-Swim-Run twisted order.
Event warmup:

Athletes are ranked, racked, and numbered according to their best HIM time, and I'm proud to say that we were the only Co-Ed team where the male partner was ranked lower than the female. Go girl. The bike start is TT style, with teams starting with their highest ranked teammate, so we were up toward the front the whole time. Pretty cool.
Swim
  • 26m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

You know that cold headache you get when you eat frosty treats too fast? And you think it couldn't get much more painful until you take that next bite too fast and realize it could be MUCH worse? Yep, that was the afternoon swim.

Cold and crampy, that was today's game. I heard about the cramping legs after the bike and feared it on the two loop course, but it wasn't until I got up to run to transition and slammed my foot on a submerged rock that I felt the crippling pain of totally cramped quads and hammmies. I gasped some unmentionables and these two dudes sippin beers on the dock nearby hollered over to me, "welcome to the American Triple-T." And started laughing. Let it be known that I was NOT laughing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Yeah, putting on a wetsuit after sweating your azz off on the bike...ain't easy.

Ziplock bags to get the feet and hands through the wetsuit was the best advice I received all weekend long. Thanks Rick!
Bike
  • 1h 13m 29s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh yeah, I remember this course. It's like, ridiculously hard. Still. But this time I had Alaina to trade drafts off -- legally, I promise! it's in the athlete's guide for teams -- which was a little advantage, but really not much for the hills. I mean, what kind of draft can you get going 5mph and barely able to turn the pedals over? The best part was just having someone there to talk to and keep us moving.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Alaina was waiting for me in transition and helped get my suit off and run stuff ready. Helluva teammate that one.
Run
  • 47m 30s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to stay steady, stay strong, and just get to the turnaround without blowing up, since most of the way back is downhill. The worst nemesis here wasn't tired legs or fatigue but roving gangs of horseflies that brazenly attacked heads with all the bad taste of the Boppers from Warriors. Punks. When you looked down at your shadow, you could actually see their shadows swarming your dome in their best Pigpen imitation.

I actually thought this time through the run course was easier than this morning, probably because I wasn't pushing as hard, instead saving the sticks for what would be a killer trip back up this same route tomorrow for the HIM. We saw some other teams that were going to be very close to our times, but it would all come down to tomorrow's race and if we could hold pace with the other top Co-Ed teams.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath in the stream near the finish line. Every single race site needs to have a crystal clear creek to sit in at the end. Seriously.

Event comments:

We discovered after the race that a team we didn't think was that close to us had put up some stellar Oly times and would be fierce competition for the top slot tomorrow.

Last updated: 2010-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/372
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Same two loop course as the morning
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:29 | 24.8 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Same gadfearing thing as the morning course on Route 125.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:30 | 06.55 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out-n-back on Lamp Black Trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: American Triple T - Race #3 PM: Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #3 PM: Olympic Rss Feed