United States
Tri Tucson
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 40s
Overall Rank = 26/84
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

I made sure I stayed up late the night before (work) and got up before anyone really ever should. I felt going into the race as tired as possible was the best possible way to get an awesome result. :( Had my usual breakfast of toast with peanut butter and a coffee, feed the dogs, leaded up the gear and left for the race.
Event warmup:

Just swam for a little bit
Swim
  • 22m 57s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam ok. A little contact here and there which is good. I felt my pace was consistant and I was overtaking more then I think were overtaking me. Kind of hard to tell when your face is in the water though. I thought sighting would be easier since it was an out and back straight line course but I think it was actually harder. It was a little easier coming back in cause the wall was closer but I did wander off once.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. No doubt I swam extra. I would also not wear a wetsuit. I was dying to get out of it by the end. The water was hotter then my pool has been. I knew I was going to suffer wearing it but I wanted at least one OWS with it before my HIM since that water is roughly 62. I couldn't wait to get out of that suit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I struggled a tiny bit getting the wetsuit off. I usually don't. Long run in from the water, but meant a short run out with the bike shoes.

Hum, they didn't time the transitions.

Get that bloody wetsuit off faster (or not wear it).
Bike
  • 54m 48s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind was in my face for part of the race. I need to get better at attacking into the wind. I passed a fair number of riders so felt good about that. I was passed as well but I did manage to hunt some of those down again later. Pacing people, pacing. There was a 2 mile section of uphill where I managed to overtake a lot of people (even after doing Mt. Lemmon 2 days ago). I think this was a good training course for my HIM coming up just because of that hill. Coming down was fun but a few of the guys I passed near the top overtook me towards the bottom. But when we got to the flats I was able to put the hammer down and overtake them again pretty quickly.

Attack that bloody wind more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

So so T2. Not overly impressed with my performance

I was stupid and did not loosen my Zoot shoes from my last brick so I struggled a tiny bit getting my feet in. So, um, not be stupid.
Run
  • 26m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong off the bike, but I didn't finish as strong as I would have liked. I didn't blow up or anything but I was trying to run fast and didn't really have it in me.

Get a better finishing kick for next year. I think I have a sub 25 in me so that is my new 5k goal (um, my only 5k goal)
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around, had a half a bagel and peanut butter and some liquids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not feeling good leading up to the race. Combination of diet and lack of sleep. I think lack of sleep is big for me. My swim I think really hurt my time. During the race I felt ok, but before and after I felt like crap. So I guess it is good that I was able to push that aside for the race but I am sure it impacted me.

Event comments:

It's a nice sprint course. It would be an awesome race for someone who is doing their first OWS and is scared about it. Think big outdoor pool, since that is basically what it is. I'd do this race again.

I must say, this is the quietest race I have ever done. Folks in Oregon seem a bit more encouraging to each other but here everyone seems to be in their little zone. I see it out training as well. I'll keep encouraging fellow athletes as I pass them and as they pass me and maybe I'll start a trend.

Last updated: 2010-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:57 | 1094 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot
Course: This is really just a big ass swimming pool with fish (they stock it) and no black line. Oh, and they dye it green. You can't see anything in the water. It is a man made lake that we swam to one end of and back to the start again.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:48 | 15.53 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
My Garmin says 18 mph but whatever...to slow either way
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty much an out and back with a solid 2 mile up hill section. Road was nice and smooth. My Garmin says 18 mph but whatever...to slow either way
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:59 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Course: A slight uphill, followed by a slight downhill, then another slight uphill. Two water stops. Nice little run but a very quiet course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 12:50 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon

2010-06-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2894330

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon
Sounds like you had a solid race and you had fun as well. Make sure you loosen up your zoots prior to your HIM. Good lesson to learn in a sprint with an untimed t2.
2010-06-01 2:12 PM

User image

Master
NIce race!  5th in your age group... thats awesome!!
2010-06-01 2:17 PM

Veteran
back of the pack
Nice report, solid effort. Dyed green man made lakes? Really? We don't go for swimming in KOOL-ADE in my neck of the woods.  Now, Onward to HIM!!!

Edited by loeber 2010-06-01 2:18 PM
2010-06-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2894637

Extreme Veteran
Yay! Nice little race to get in the groove. Not a shabby swim, either.Smile You're moving in the right direction for the HIM. Keep it up.
2010-06-01 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
I guess you are like my wife and like to strike up conversation during the race.  I must say I am not very chatty when moving full blast. 

Great race and solid start to the season!

2010-06-02 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
you should throw things at thsoe that don't greet you back, some ideas...put some water bottles in the freezer the night before, D cell batteries, dog poop...  ha!

nice race.  congrats!!!
2010-06-02 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Nice race!! Whoo hoo 25 min here we come. i think you have it in you also. 
2010-06-02 6:22 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Nice racing out there. I'm in the same boat with the 5K goals ... one day ... one day.  Keep up the good work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon Rss Feed