United States
Midwest Sports Events
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 2s
Overall Rank = 26/427
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/34
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4, ate half a bagel with pb&j. Packed up and headed to the park. I stayed at the Holiday Inn just a few blocks away.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup. Spent too much time finding where to rack. The guy was announcing to rack at your number only. They need to renumber their racks bc they seemed to be all screwed up. I was in wave 6 but my number was on the other side. Worked out good because we had extra room which is a first.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the first sprint wave after the 2 lap olympic waves.
I am a pretty strong swimmer so I made my way to the front but a gal stepped in front of me. I have no problem with that but they better be ready to go. The whistle blew and she started walking in the water and I was stuck. It is always crowded but this was the most that I was beat up ever. I dished out some punishment too. It is such a shallow swim that you run into as many people walking as swimming. Anyway according to my watch my time was similar to previous years.
What would you do differently?:

Line up to the outside to swim around the masses.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I almost took off with my speed suit around my waist. I did that in Oshkosh last year and can't believe I almost did it again. I also had trouble slipping into my shoes on the bike. Hopefully just first time of the year stuff.

Practice
Bike
  • 00m
  • 16 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The guys that beat me here are strong on the bike so today I really tried to push. The wind was slight but there must have been some because on the way back we were doing 25-26 an a pretty flat stretch. I hope to get the splits someday. On Packerland I saw about 3 riders turn right at the first light off course. I think the officer was stopping a car and they may have thought he was directing them. Fortunatelly I have done it before or I may have followed.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Nothing exciting but I noticced the bike next to me was already there and I fugured we were about the same age.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I like this run and do it whenever I am in town including last night for a warmup. One guy left transition 25 yds ahead of me so I had my carrot. Unfortunatelly he was faster but much younger so that was fine. At least I had someone to push me.

Nothing, kept it at the pace I was hoping for.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and talked with the guy I was chasing. Turns out he is from Wausau so we compared different races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Conditions were just fine, no excuses.

Event comments:

I always put too much pressure on this race because first of the year. I have finished 5th in age group the last two years and really wanted to improve on that. I did take about 3:30 off from last year and jumped to 2nd. Just my luck, I finally place and they stopped giving trophies and instead gave out bags. And no I have not won enough to be tired of the awards. And that bike that beat me to T2 was Mike that has won our age group every year I have done this race. Glad I got to meet him, nice guy but I wouldn't mind if he took a year off.

Last updated: 2010-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/427
Performance: Average
They didn't breakdown the times so only left with a total. I hope it changes bc I really like to know how I did in each area.
Suit: blueseventy speed suit
Course: Man made "lake". Very shallow and warm.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 16 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/427
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Mustly flat and in decent condition.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average