AA Sports, LTD
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 12s
Overall Rank = 433/599
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/47
Pre-race routine:

Luckily, my huband agreed to be my race support, so that I didn't have to stress out about logistics with the new parking arrangements they made last minute (due to too much rain). We left home at about 5:30am, arriving at the site at about 6:30am where he dropped me (and my bike) off for the walk to transition while he went to park the car and take the shuttle back. I found my spot, got set up, chit-chatted with the people near by me and then ran into a friend from my swim clinic and wished her luck. Then I went to find my husband, hit the loo and then head down to the waterfront to check out the lake. I ran into another swim clinic friend at the waterfront, chatted with her a bit, and then waded into the water to test out the temps. NICE!
Event warmup:

I did not warm up - mistake number 1. I waded out and swam a few strokes to adjust the wetsuit and get a feel for the water, but I did not actually do any real swimming. I should have - it might have helped me get past that 'wall' sooner during the race.
Swim
  • 22m 51s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Terrible swim. I could not catch my breath and my HR was racing. I wasn't scared or afraid of drowning or anything, I just couldn't calm down. I think it was the distance - it just looked SO FAR and I was terrifed that I'd blow up and then have nothing left for the bike and the run. I think I basically hit that 'wall' and never broke through it. Or, at least, not until I rounded the last bouy. At that point, I told myself that it was to be 100% freestyle until the end, and I did it. And it did get easier. If only I'd done it sooner!
What would you do differently?:

Lot's, lots more open water swimming practice so that I get used to what these distances look like! More races so that I can learn to calm down. And I should have forced myself to do more freestyle from the beginning so that I could find a rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

The transitions were long (distance) and very muddy/slippery. Coming out of the water, there was really no way to actually run without the danger of wiping out. My husband said he saw many people fall in the mud! My wetsuit got a little stuck on my feet, but it think that was mostly my own inexperience at removal. I still need a new helmet - this one takes to long to put on! Socks went on great as did shoes and I did take a moment to put on lip balm.

Get a new helmet - practice wetsuit removal (when it's wet!) and learn to mount my bike a little faster (though I was better this time than last time).
Bike
  • 39m 11s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to mount my bike much faster this time than the last time, so that's good. Got going and immediately started reminding myself that this was the fun part, so lets rock it. I think I did. I stayed in the drops and in my top three gears the whole way. I didn't really hammer until after the turn around because I didn't know the course and I didn't have a computer to tell me how far I'd gone. I figured that I'd take it easy, keep a good pace and then let-er-rip after the turn. I was playing tag with another woman (also in my age group) but when we rounded the turn and she commented about it, I said "yeah, but you run faster than me so it's time for me to go" and I dropped her. ;-) I knew I had to make a good time on the bike to be compettive since I knew my run time would suck. I was right.

Next time I need to take a bike computer. I'm pretty sure I had more in my tank that I could have expended on the first half had I known where I was in terms of the whole course.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

I accidentally ran past my rack and had to back track a bit, so that cost me a little time. All in all, this was a good transition. The run with the bike was kind of long, but I was pleased to have my road shoes on as they gave me traction in the mud that the barefoot people did not have!

Next time I need to pay attention to where my rack is located!
Run
  • 35m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I am slow. It's unfortunate because I felt like my run was actually pretty good and pretty well managed - but yet I placed lower overall on the run than I did on my sucky swim! I wanted to run faster, but it was getting kind of hot and my feet were starting to ache. I basically just kept an eye on my HR and used that to gauge my effort. As much as I don't like my time, I was pleased with my performance before I saw the time, so I can't really complain. I'm not a runner...so this will take time to improve.

I don't know that there was anything that I'd do differently. I kept a steady pace (no walking!), I managed to leave just enough for a little sprint at the end, and I didn't say "ugh, I hate this" in my head but once! ;-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little - enjoyed the sunshine and snacked. I packed up my stuff and then my husband and I waited around for the results...just in case. I'm glad we did! I placed second in the Master's Athena category! Go me!

(not bad for my 2nd ever tri and my first OWS)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A lack of experience was my greatest limitation.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:51 | 800 meters | 02m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 513/599
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortex3
Course: Triangular course - clockwise direction. Water start, three bouys to round and then a beach finish.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:11 | 12 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Overall: 246/599
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Straight, flat, out and back. Pavement was grooved for repaving for a few miles.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:07 | 03.11 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 514/599
Performance: Average
Course: Winding, 3/4ths shaded, lots of variety...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes