General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit Wall Need Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-05 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Hit Wall Need Help

OK, since I started doing tries I've lost about 52 pounds altogether. I have the last 50 to go and I have hit a big ass wall. Can't get below 200. Am at 210 right now. I workout like a maniac so I can only conclude it's my diet. Need specific information about calorie control diets (not weight watchers) that a busy  woman can stick too. Any ideas on what worked for you? I tried the zone diet and had good success with that but it seems my body is rebelling. No matter what I eat or how much I exercise I just can not lose weight. Any ideas on jumpstarting the weight loss ball?

I have to lose 50 pounds in the next 10 months (preferably 40 in the next six) and I need some serious calorie crunching weightloss formula. Any ideas? thanks.

2005-07-05 4:55 PM
in reply to: #190748

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Hit Wall Need Help

Hey....Maybe try meeting with a nutritionist?  Also myabe have you considered that you may not be eating enough?  Since I have had to decrease my activity b/c of my injury I have dropped some wieght.  I haven't really changed my eating, I'm swimming a bit more and biking a bit more and stopped strength training for the most part.  I was on a plateau for A YEAR.  fitday.com helps because it give an idea of what I burn up for my weight, activity and exercise....What I know for meis...if I stay to 1600 caloires a day I will lose wieght but will have no friends or employees because I am a miserable starving bitch.  If I hang around 2000 a day it seems to work OK for me.  this had been A LOT of trial and error.  I keep a food journal on paper because I find fitday a bit of a pain and I can't log on all the time.  Mostly I use it for find out what I burn for the day so I can try to stay under that number. 

I hated WW too...I was dizzy and hungry all the time.  I keep emergency food around all the time (in the office in my car) so I won't make a really bad choice.  Mostly I keep almonds and fruit bars on hand.  Hope this helps -SMO PS you are doing great

2005-07-05 5:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-05 5:15 PM

Master
South Florida
I have a friend who lost about 30 pounds by eating what she wants, within reason, but just eating less of it...portion control.  I also am a personal trainer, but I have no degree/certifiation in nutrition.  I set up a weight loss challenge for the ladies, as many were getting really, really fit, but not losing the lbs they wanted to.  I wanted them to see that it makes a difference what you eat.  I have no formula for you, fitday is a great site, but takes alot of time.  You need not a diet, but a way of eating for life.  How do you eat now? 
2005-07-05 5:29 PM

Master
Chicago

I eat healthy. Every since I started tries I've been on the chicken salada diet ha! I eat the same thing mostly everyday. I don't eat fast food, pizza, potato chips etc. only on special occasions but not regularly like I use to. There is no room to cut out stuff. I don't eat a lot of junk food and thankfully I'm not a sweet fanatic. I eat 5-6 small meals aday nothing over 400 calories at a time. I eat more veggies than meat etc. So I don't know what's going on. I going back on the strict diet since and limiting my calories to 1600 cal a day. I'm also going back to logging my food on fitday and yes it is a pain.

Still, I'm training for a 1/2 IM with 2-a-day workouts and it kills me to not eat. I just bonk like crazy. So I'm trying to balance my weight loss needs with my training needs. Ughhhh. It's so freakin' frustrating.

2005-07-05 6:56 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I really think you may not be eating enough.  Your body may be in starvation mode.  1600 a day with 2 a day workouts is going to leave you bonking, hungry, cranky and irritable.  Look at how many calories you are burning...just your basal metoblism is probably at least 1800 then what ever your lifestyle is then your workouts...I have also heard you need to replace AT LEAST 1/4 of what you burn in your workouts.  Hope we are helping -SMO

2005-07-05 8:51 PM

Master
South Florida
I agree with above, my first instinct is to say your aren't eating enough calories...it sounds as though you are doing most everything right.  It may be very worth it for you to go to a nutritionist who specializes in sports nutrition, to find the correct balance for you.  That is frustrating!!! 
2005-07-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #190900

Master
Saskatchewan

sue7013 - 2005-07-05 7:56 PM I really think you may not be eating enough.  Your body may be in starvation mode.  1600 a day with 2 a day workouts is going to leave you bonking, hungry, cranky and irritable.  Look at how many calories you are burning...just your basal metoblism is probably at least 1800 then what ever your lifestyle is then your workouts...I have also heard you need to replace AT LEAST 1/4 of what you burn in your workouts.  Hope we are helping -SMO

I totally agree. If you've been eating that low with the two-a-day workouts for awhile now, your body has become so used to it and is indeed in starvation mode. I bet that if you slowly start raising your calories, you'll see the pounds go off. A nutritionist would offer the best guidance to do this.

Even varying your calories from day to day and having the cheats will help your metabolism...your body will use the nutrients more readily and your metabolism will increase.Good luck!

2005-07-07 11:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Ovetta,

You've been one of my inspirations here.  Your new avatar looks like a completely different woman than your old one.  Your workouts are incredible, and, oh my god- you're doing a half-iron distance race.  You, my dear, are a success story!

I also would encourage you to visit a sports nutritionist.  Your body needs some serious fuel to carry you through those tough workouts.  I would encourage you to forget about what the scale says and focus on fueling your body.  It sounds like you're taking in way too few calories for what you're expending- no wonder you bonk!

Planning to lose 40 pounds in 6 months may be setting yourself up for failure.  Who know how your body is going to respond?  Your body is doing amazing things for you- don't get mad just because the number on the scale isn't what you want it to be.

Ok, so all the above is my rational self speaking.  The other part of me is right there with you.  I've been stuck between 202 and 210 for months.  I get really jealous of people who consistently drop 1-2 pounds every week in these weight loss challenges.  I started all this at 254 and I try to tell myself that the weight will all come off at its own pace, but man, do I get frustrated!  I work out harder than all those skinny gals- it's just not fair! 

Let me know what you end up doing.  By the way, have you read "Nancy Clarke's Sports Nutrition Guidebook"?  I found it really informative.

Debi

2005-07-07 4:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN

Lots of great information on the GSSI site.

http://www.gssiweb.com/sportssciencecenter/topic.cfm?id=99

“Endurance athletes may benefit from improving the macronutrient content of their diets. Specifically, a diet rich in carbohydrates (7-10 g/kg), moderate in protein (1.2-1.7g/kg), and low in fat is recommended.”

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/334/michellerockwell.cfm?pid=61&CFID=723262&CFTOKEN=46166544

So a 210 pound endurance athlete needs 2672 carbohydrate calories a day, 458 protein calories and 10% to 20% of calories from fat.  Since it is recommended to have a 500 calorie deficit for weight loss, you are definitely not getting enough calories.

I think you should ditch the salads (good for rabbits, bad for athletes IMHO) and replace them with slow burning energy carbs, like oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain breads and beans.  You won’t bonk and your workouts will be more effective.  They're low in calories and you'll feel full for hours.  Just try eating a couple rice and bean burritos or veggie burger on whole grain bread to see the difference.

Timing your meals are important too.  You need to eat carbs and a little protein shortly after a workout to speed recovery.  This builds your glycogen reserves so you don’t bonk the next workout.  It takes about 20 hours to replenish glycogen.

How about consulting with Shanna Armstrong?  Since you spent a week feeding her, maybe she could offer some advice in return.  I’m sure she knows a lot more than I do.

Check out this article on two a day workouts:

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/75/d0000000200000262.cfm?pid=38

Keep us posted on what works for you.

Edited by Gatsby 2005-07-07 5:03 PM
2005-07-07 9:00 PM

Veteran
Salem, MA
Oh, no, salads are important -- fiber and phytonutrients. But many people take in way too many calories on what they call "salad" because they choose salad ingredients that contain mayo, cheeses, nuts, fried chow mein noodles, pepperoni, pasta, potato salad, etc. Those things aren't helping. I eat at least one huge salad every day -- it's always with greens (baby spinach & mesclun), and usually some mix of cucumber, grape tomatoes, onion, carrot matchsticks, red and green peppers, etc. The dressing is 1 t. olive oil with 1 t. balsamic vinegar and some spices, and it's tossed to coat every leaf. Satisfying and delicious. The key is to choose all veggies, and make sure they are high in fiber and low in calories.

I do agree about eating more quality carbs...I just have to stick up for a good, green veggie salad. Filling and good for you.

2005-07-08 8:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Dear Ovetta!

You are my hero! First I congratulate you on your AMAZING sucess story!!! :-) :-) :-)Maybe i can add my 2c what worked for me.

First i tought oh, no OMG! not only 1600 cal diet - but everyone already told everything. IMHO eating much more good stuff would increase your methabolism.

Here's my experience: When I want to lose weight, I eat like mad - I feel like all those veggies (and some fruit) somehow take fat away, i know it sounds crazy, but when i eat less then huge piles of good stuff, i stop losing weight. And i very, very easy gain weight.

So there are some thoughts:

Maybe you find suitable to redefine your goal as losing 50 pounds of BF instead 50 pounds total? Maybe it is ok to you to state your goal in %BF or in tape measurements or the size of clothes you want to be (it's my favourite) - i found scale so frustrating!

Some amount of lean protein with every meal, even the smallest one, would also speed up the metabolism.

Your weight training - do you do same routine? How many reps? It is good to shake it from time to time. I sugest you to do split routine - to divide body into parts and to hit one body part no more than once a week. Also i sugest to do one sets of excercises no more then 2 months in a row, then to switch to completely different excercises for another 2 months and so on.

Least but not last - power of affirmations; i know it's silly but they actualy work and it doesn't matter if one believe or not, it is working anyhow. Unconsousness mind can't discern between reality and imagination. You are what wou think. The more advanced your training is, mental training is more and more important.

Only one example: "No matter what I eat or how much I excercise I AM easily losing weight." (Explanation of procedure is missing but i don't want to waste your time, maybe you know all that already. If you are interested i can write down the whole procedure.see Luse Hay's books.)

OK. i hope sometehing helps.

I adore your new avatar! Good luck!! YOU GIRL ROCK!!!

2005-07-08 1:18 PM

Master
Savannah,
Okay, I am looking for the exact #'s and the source it came from, but during a training (AEA's Certified Aquatics Personal Trainer Session) the instructor was talking about diet vs exercise. She said that most people think it's 50-50, but actually it's more like 75% what you eat and 25% exercise. WOW-freaked me out. I will find that exact % and the source and post it.

Me, personally...I've done the math and I ought to be able to lose 2 lbs a week by eating 1800 calories a day and working out like a fiend-doesn't work for me. For me to lose weight I can eat no more than 1400 calories a day and still work out like a fiend. I eat low fat (not no-fat) lower carbs (not no-carbs) and tons of peaches, tomatoes, broccoli, and water. I also eat lean protein and a fair amount of beans. I can't drink alcohol (wah) and I can't eat sugar. It has taken me my whole adult life (I'm 36) to finally find my own personal formula.

It's a journey.....no, it really is. Be patient with yourself and be kind and gentle with yourself too.

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss-amazing.
2005-07-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: #193239

Master
Savannah,
southernaquagoddess - 2005-07-08 2:18 PM

Okay, I am looking for the exact #'s and the source it came from, but during a training (AEA's Certified Aquatics Personal Trainer Session) the instructor was talking about diet vs exercise. She said that most people think it's 50-50, but actually it's more like 75% what you eat and 25% exercise. WOW-freaked me out. I will find that exact % and the source and post it.
Okay, just emailed AEA (Aquatic Exercise Association) and asked them for those exact %'s and the source...will update.

Me, personally...I've done the math and I ought to be able to lose 2 lbs a week by eating 1800 calories a day and working out like a fiend-doesn't work for me. For me to lose weight I can eat no more than 1400 calories a day and still work out like a fiend. I eat low fat (not no-fat) lower carbs (not no-carbs) and tons of peaches, tomatoes, broccoli, and water. I also eat lean protein and a fair amount of beans. I can't drink alcohol (wah) and I can't eat sugar. It has taken me my whole adult life (I'm 36) to finally find my own personal formula.

It's a journey.....no, it really is. Be patient with yourself and be kind and gentle with yourself too.

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss-amazing.
2005-07-08 2:12 PM

Veteran
Aurora, CO
I know that whenever I hit plateaus, I have to change up my exercise routine. My body gets used to doing the same old thing every week, and just doesn't respond anymore. Since you're tri'ing, I would say maybe incorporate some different exercise into your routine somehow, like some team sports or something.

Just a suggestion. Congrats on your good work thus far, keep it up!
2005-07-08 2:18 PM

Elite Veteran
flatland
Congratulations on 52lbs lost! That's great!

I would second, third and fourth a sports nutritionist. It would probably be very helpful if you keep a journal of what you eat and when (not calories or anything, just the food), and when you workout and for how long for 2 or 3 weeks. This way the nutritionist can see what your daily intake and output is and understand what exactly you're expecting your body to accomplish. Like others have said, I would be suprised if 1600 calories a day isn't way too low. The standard weight loss calculations don't really work for someone who works out as much as you do.

You may also have a lot more muscle than you think, having started the tri lifestyle while you were still heavy. It's like running with a 50lb backpack -- it's gonna give you some muscle mass a skinny runner won't have. So, you may not have 50lbs of fat to lose -- body composition IMHO is a much better guide to what you should be expecting the scale to say, not some chart of your ideal weight for your height.

Good luck with it and let us know!

2005-07-09 1:24 AM

Veteran
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi! I only know you from what I have read here and I just want to congratulate you and your weight loss and healthy lifestyle. I agtree with the lack of calories assumption. Here's why:
Lets say your calorie starts at zero every day.

You eat: + 1600 calories
Basal Metabolism: -1700 calories (I am guessing at your age and height here)
Your vigorous ex. program: -900 calories (based on your log inputs, time, ht and weight)
Total: -1000 calories per day. (should be about -500)

That is too much stress on the body. It has gone into storage mode. Add a little extra fuel to your system (in oatmeals, fibers and proteins) and you should be well on your way to happy weight loss again! Congrats so far!

Oh, and I have a compassion child from Rwanda. Great program!
2005-07-09 1:24 AM

Veteran
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi! I only know you from what I have read here and I just want to congratulate you and your weight loss and healthy lifestyle. I agtree with the lack of calories assumption. Here's why:
Lets say your calories start at zero every day.

You eat: + 1600 calories
Basal Metabolism: -1700 calories (I am guessing at your age and height here)
Your vigorous ex. program: -900 calories (based on your log inputs, time, ht and weight)
Total: -1000 calories per day. (should be about -500)

That is too much stress on the body. It has gone into storage mode. Add a little extra fuel to your system (in oatmeals, fibers and proteins) and you should be well on your way to happy weight loss again! Congrats so far!

Oh, and I have a compassion child from Rwanda. Great program!

Edited by sivley01 2005-07-09 1:24 AM
2005-07-11 10:23 PM
in reply to: #193652

Master
Chicago

sivley01 - 2005-07-08 11:24 PM  Oh, and I have a compassion child from Rwanda. Great program!

You are truly a wonderful person. Thanks so much for being a sponsor. Without people like you we couldn't change the world.

OK guys. You're right. I am not eating enough. When I lost weight on the Zone diet I ate like a mad cow, all day long. So I'm going to up my calories. Thanks for all your advice guys. I'll keep you posted.

2005-07-12 7:42 AM

molto veloce mama
i've found counting calories to be VERY helpful. i used sites online as well as fitness brain. just switched to calorie king diet diary and its awesome. i can save meals (like my standard cereal and milk, smoothie at lunch, etc.) so i don't have to enter in every component of the meal every single day. saves a lot of time. it also does all the math, and will tell me how many calories i have left for the day, as well as how i'm doing with protein, carbs, fats, etc. the only thing i don't like is that if i enter in a workout, it subtracts that workout from my calories. so, if i burn 600, it adds in an additional 600 to my day, which i don't want. calorie king says that in the upgrade in a few months, you should be able to change the percentage from 100% to 20% or whatever, if you don't want to replace all the calories. for now, i'm entering in 1/3 of the workout for calorie replacement, or 1/2 if it was a workout involving pushing the jogging stroller or pulling the burley. this works fine since i log my workouts on bt anyway. they also have a version for palm. http://www.calorieking.com/software

and i agree with the posts above - you look fabulous and are an inspiration to us all!
2005-07-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: #190840

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Ovetta-

It sounds like you've been following a very good plan and have obviously made huge progress.  It's common to reach a plateau along the way.  This could be as simple as needing to change things up for a short while.  Your body will become conditioned to the same thing over and over and eventually stop responding in the way you want it to.  First of all, if you are currently 210;bs and training for a 1/2 IM I think you aren't eating enough.  A 500-800 calorie deficit is the lowest I would suggest on a daily basis.  Like you said, you need to balance the energy needs of your training with your weight loss goals.  FitDay is a great way to keep an eye on your daily intake.  500calories below daily requirements should give you about 1-lb per week weight loss on average.  Restrict your intake too much and your body will fight to keep every last bit of energy it can (as well as slow your metabolism) and will actually convert food to fat preferentially as a survival mechanism. 

A few thoughts...

1) It's a good idea to throw your body a curve ball once in a while...have yourself a mini-binge...ice cream, cookies, chips, cake, whatever your "junk" of choice might be.  And not just a couple cookies...have a bunch and really enjoy it, you work hard and deserve it.  Believe it or not, this can actually help to rev your metabolism from time to time.  This sin't an every week thing just once in a while if you feel yourself going flat.  Plus it's good to endulge in the things you really enjoy (in moderation)...it makes us happy.  I know a Big Mac makes me happy  

2)  Are you eating enough good fats? Olive oil, flax oil, nuts, salmon...all contain "healthy" fats that help you burn body fat.  Don't shy away from fat in your diet completely.  I'm currently abour 7% body fat and eat 100-150g of fat every day...fat doesn't necessarily make you fat if you're eating the right stuff.

3)  If you are bonking on a regular basis during your training then you definitely aren't eating enough...probably not enough carbs specifically.  If your muscle glycogen stores are always low then you don't have that energy source to feed your long workouts.  Your muscles are most responsive to uptake of carbs and glycogen re-plenishment immediately after a workout.  I'd suggest a good recovery drink like Endurox after all intense or long training sessions.  Your muscle swill eat it up and you won't have to worry about those carbs becoming fat.  For all the rest of your carbs through the day stick with low-GI stuff, whole grains, fruits, veggies, and maybe cut back your carb intake in the evening.  If you have a good recovery drink after your afternoon workout you can do without a main carb dish at dinner.

4) Protein...shoot for at least 1.5g per kg of body weight.  So your goal would be about 140g of protein each day.

5)  Do you test your body fat % regularly?  You very well could be building lean mass nearly as fast as you are loosing fat which would keep your weight about the same.

One last thought about jump-starting your weight loss.  If you have the dedication and are willing to work with a rather difficult diet we could talk about doing a few weeks of CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) which would probably get you 10-15lbs of body fat loss over 2-3 weeks.  Then I would suggest you go back to a regular healthy diet and see if you can keep getting results.

infosteward - 2005-07-05 6:29 PM

I eat healthy. Every since I started tries I've been on the chicken salada diet ha! I eat the same thing mostly everyday. I don't eat fast food, pizza, potato chips etc. only on special occasions but not regularly like I use to. There is no room to cut out stuff. I don't eat a lot of junk food and thankfully I'm not a sweet fanatic. I eat 5-6 small meals aday nothing over 400 calories at a time. I eat more veggies than meat etc. So I don't know what's going on. I going back on the strict diet since and limiting my calories to 1600 cal a day. I'm also going back to logging my food on fitday and yes it is a pain.

Still, I'm training for a 1/2 IM with 2-a-day workouts and it kills me to not eat. I just bonk like crazy. So I'm trying to balance my weight loss needs with my training needs. Ughhhh. It's so freakin' frustrating.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit Wall Need Help Rss Feed