Set-Up Events
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m 12s
Overall Rank = 163/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up very early and packed up the heap of equipment and stuff from the room. We ate and drove down to the park to eliminate the pressure of parking and setting up on the fly. It was a first race for both of us for the season.
Event warmup:

After about three trips to the car I was able to set up my T0 and head down to the water for a little swim. This was not wetsuit legal so I wanted to acclimate appropriately. Swam out about 100+ yards and returned. The water was very warm. About 82 degrees.
Swim
  • 39m 31s
  • 2100 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think they shortened the swim because the wetsuits were out. It seemed fast as I exited the water in :37 with a crappy swim and still a long climb up to T1 which counted on the overall swim time.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be more aggressive at the first 200M and stay straight! When I practice in the open water I have no problem with line, but put me in a race and I keep veering to the left. Very frustrating.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

I approached this day as a training opportunity so my focus on fast T times was not there. I wanted to get everything on comfortably and head out to the next stage.

In race conditions I would have hustled more.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I elected to ride the entire course in the small ring. I wanted to maintain a strict energy management strategy with what I knew was going to be an oppressive run with the heat ratcheting up as we entered the second half of the ride. I was able to reel in a lot of riders over the last 15 miles or so, all the time staying in the small ring. It was a very interesting experience. I was able to manage my HR and keep my cadence up in a consistent fashion.

With more agreeable temperature conditions I would most likely throw some downhills and flats into the big ring. My training isn't there yet to maintain a consistent high cadence.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Too funny. I was so focused on cadence and feeling better as the ride progressed that all of a sudden I was in the park and forgetting to get out and on top of my shoes! I got one out and up and the other was still snapped in when I hit the green line. So, I snapped out and had to remove one shoe so I could run to the rack. What a dope!

As stated earlier, I was not rushing these T's. Still, I did have to go into my tri bag to get some sunblock out for my face. I need to have that out on my towel and RTG if I need it in the future.
Run
  • 2h 20m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I was going to follow a run/walk strategy of 5/1 and hold to it. I started out feeling a little tight after I left the park which I thought was weird since from T2 to the park entrance I was feeling really well. But, the tightness subsided and I continued out on the course running pretty steady and strong. I made sure I was drinking two cups of H20 at every available stop. It was getting really hot and a lot of people were starting to suffer. I was feeling strong and getting stronger through 9 miles and thinking that while I was not looking for any kind of PR, a strong finish around 6 hrs or slightly under might be possible. Well, that didn't happen. After I turned the corner after Mile 11, both calves locked up. I was done with less than 1.5 miles to go. What a drag. This happened to me back in 2006 when I did this race the first time. I managed to shuffled between mailboxes and watch as all the people I had been reeling in were now passing me with a mile to go. Very frustrating. The final embarassment was cramping up just a few yards from the finish line and being forced to walk across. That was a first for me and not a very good feeling.

It turns out that I am still fighting the electrolytes issue. I should've carried some Enduralytes on the run and that might have helped me overcome the heat factor. My HR was starting to climb through the run and I was over LT but feeling good so I kept going. A clear nutrition/hydration mistake.
Post race
Warm down:

Shower tent baby.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Electrolytes were a huge culprit.

Event comments:

I think I'm done with this race. This was my third attempt and while I was 8 minutes faster than the last one, it's one that still vexes me. We could've used far more drink stations on the run. Luckily I kept my second cup with the ice in it and carried that with me to use between SAG's. Also, that stupid HEED. No one can drink that crap. How about some G'Ade or P'Ade there Jim? Ultimately, a couple of weeks earlier and twenty degrees cooler and I could realistically look at shaving 30+ minutes off of my times here. It's ok, though, since I truly was looking for a training experience. Boy, did I get one!

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:31 | 2100 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 164/
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Single loop triangular.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:10:40 | 56 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Overall: 208/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly profile in the Macon countryside. First half more difficult with longer climbs. Second half had wind and the heat was starting to crank up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:20:21 | 13.1 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 120/
Course: A ridiculous course with almost no shade and lots of hilly out/backs. My least favorite run course ever!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes