Tri Blue Sky
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 19s
Overall Rank = 10/300
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/32
Pre-race routine:

Got there way early, at 6am for a start at 8am. A lot closer to home than I thought. So setup and chilled for the next hour and a half.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1 mile of the run course then swam to first 100m buoy and back.
Swim
  • 10m 59s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out to the right, about 30 across and 3 deep at the start so not too congested. No mass start mayhem (whew!). Took off and first 30 meters felt good, guy on my right was a little faster then all of a sudden, bubbles in front of me as he was cutting in towards bouy, sweet! so I latched on thinking drafting will be nice. Then as fast as the bubbles came, they disappeared. Apparantly he was not a little faster, but a lot. Rest of the swim, good. Then with about 100 to do, feel a tap on the foot, no biggy, 4 strokes later, another tap. So I thought do I kick hard to get him to back off? Since it wasn't bothering me and I didn't notice anyway, just kept swimming and ignored it. About 40 meters later, another tap. So at least I was able to drag someone around the course slowly!
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to draft but overall, felt fine.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Loving it. About 20 yards from swim exit so helps with T-times. Suit off, socks on, shoes on (I know), glasses, helmet, sprint. Didn't feel too clunky, no complaints. Still not worried about the shoes clipped in trick, I lose at most 12 seconds with the socks/shoes which is worth the peace of mind to not crash + future comfort.
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 22.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Played leapfrog with 2 other guys from about mile 4-10, I'd pass on the uphills, they would fly by on the downhills with their deep aero fronts and real discs. My disc cover on aluminum easton 90's aren't as aero or those dudes are heavier than me (actually just plain faster). But come-on, my aluminum bike weighs 5 lbs more and wheels are heavier yet passing on the uphills? Must be because my gross weight (me + bike) = lighter?
Good/hard effort though and with 1 mile to go, I backed off and spun to get the HR back to normal and the legs rested for the ensuing run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

My favorite, dismount with shoes on, sprint through T-2, swap shoes and gone. Thanks Yankz! Two guys in front of me did their flying dismounts already out of their shoes and I beat them out of T-2?? So feeling good about my efficiency. One of them caught me at the run turnaround (so 10 min later) Overall was #6 in T-2!
Weird being in the first wave and coming into T-2 seeing all those empty racks with just a handful of bikes.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. I think backing off the last minute on the bike sure sets up the T-2 and run well.
Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't have the brick feeling of the legs so either getting used to the pain, or it is going away. Plugged along, up the first hill right out of Transition (glad I jogged the first part of the course) and felt winded so backed off. On the flats/downs, let the legs go, on the uphills, picked up cadence, shortened stride and plugged along.
Out and back so started to see the leaders come flying by, they were hauling, then had about what felt like 3 minutes of no-one til I hit the turnaround, at which point, there are a bunch of guys right on my tail. Uh-oh. 3 ended up getting me but none were my AG, damn youngsters (34/32) and then a 40 from the wave behind - ouch cause next year, I'll be in his AG.
Hit the line and ended up negative splitting the run, #Woohoo, that's a first. Only knew that after I downloaded Garmin since I didn't look at the watch during the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really, just walked around, ate, cheered on fellow racers, chatted with a few folks, etc.

Event comments:

First time at this location so you figured there would be hickups but the Park Series is super organized with plenty of volunteers. No hickups that I noticed, they do a great job.
Perfect place for specatators to watch the swim, transition, finish all from an elevated spot.

Last updated: 2010-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:59 | 656 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/32
Overall: 27/300
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra speed suit
Course: counterclockwise waist deep start, 300 meters to first turn, about 100 meters to second and 200 back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:37 | 14.7 miles | 22.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 6/300
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills throughout with nothing brutally steep, all right turns looped course with almost no car traffic (1 car passed the whole race). None of the turns were at the bottom of hills when you were carrying a bunch of speed so that was nice.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:16 | 03.1 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/32
Overall: 15/300
Course: Rollers, again with the rollers, out and back. Garmin had about 220 ft gain/120 ft loss in the first mile so net uphill going out and downhill coming back, the middle mile though, first half downhill, turnaround and climb back up. Nothing long enough to get you completely gassed but still wish that a little hill workout every once in a while is done.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Blalock Lakes

2010-06-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2909918

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Blalock Lakes

Excellent...again!  You are having a great season.  Socks in a sprint????  I am blown away that you ran a :20 and a few people passed you.  I really can't get my head around that given my starting point.  Bike was strong as garlic.  Good to see the cranks stayed on this time.  See what happens when the bike stays together...podium!

2010-06-09 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2910141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Blalock Lakes
thecaptin - 2010-06-09 7:51 AM

Excellent...again!  You are having a great season.  Socks in a sprint????  I am blown away that you ran a :20 and a few people passed you.  I really can't get my head around that given my starting point.  Bike was strong as garlic.  Good to see the cranks stayed on this time.  See what happens when the bike stays together...podium!

Thanks Captain, sorry you couldn't make it.  I am really having fun with the sprints that anything longer just seems so daunting.  While I prefer much longer swims and bikes, the long runs are not my cup of tea.

Of course socks in a sprint. I am not as tough as you guys.  I figure that comfort for me for a lousy 5-8 seconds is worth not enduring the pain of the months it would take me to build up skin strength.

Podium more likely because you weren't there and half of the fasties from Tanner were racing the Macon Half/Sprint.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Blalock Lakes Rss Feed