Overall Rank = 113/684
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/82
Swim
  • 38m 1s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started to the outside but towards the front. Not too much congestion and made the right decision to stay out of the fray. Goal was to quickly get into a comfortable pace, sight well, and swim within myself as I am not too fast a swimmer. Reached all goals with exception of sighting. Sighed well on about half of the buoys. The other half could of been better. Also, never found anybody to draft from; probably result of staying out of the fray. Overall, had an average swim but was very pleased with my breathing and ability to get into comfortable pace (although counter-productive when racing). Better time than an Olympic I did last year that was 0.2 mi shorter; likely due to better sighting as swim has not improved much since last year.
What would you do differently?:

Put more time in the pool, do more drills, and whatever else is necessary to improve swim speed. Learn to draft better. Become as comfortable with swim as I am with run/bike so that I can push harder on race days and not simply try to get through the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Was little dizzy coming out of the water but still managed to pass a couple people on the brief run to transition. Cap and goggles off easy and left in sleeve of wetsuit. No trouble getting top of wetsuit of prior to reaching transition. Had trouble getting wetsuit off the ankles and forgot to put helmet on while taking the wetsuit off. Took time to put socks on, but was happy with decision to put them on given race distance (I left socks rolled down so they were easy to put on but was 50/50 prior to race on whether I would wear them). Put shoes on prior to leaving transition. Had trouble putting Gu in side pockets of jersy. Had trouble getting on the bike and shoes clipped in. Actually slipped off pedals and almost narrowly avoided crushing the boys.

Get wetsuit off faster and helmet on at same time. Leave shoes on bike and get up to speed before putting on. Tape Gus to top tube so that I do not have to deal with them in transition. Practice transitions a little bit more.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt that my training prepared me and did not feel that I was on a course too hard for me. No problems with bottle exchanges. Did not like the Cerasport drink they provided and really wish they had Gatorade. Needed to drink more, but could not stomach the Cerasport. If I had taken something else at first aid station, even water, hydration would probably of been better

Felt like my level of effort was good. Pushed hard but not too hard such that run suffered. Need to train with salt tablets b/c I needed them given heat and humidity. Don't take a drink you don't train with.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Left shoes on bike and was able to get of shoes and feet on top without any problems. Found rack easily. Sunglasses off and visor on easily. For some reason put running belt on while in transition.

Pull laces on Zoot tight before race so I did not have to do it in transition. Put race belt on while running or prior to race and tucked under jersey.
Run
  • 1h 41m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt surprisingly decent from the start. Took it little easy for first 2 miles. Passed a lot of people which helped mentally. Hamstring seized up at mile 5.5. Stopped for a couple of seconds to stretch it and pushed through. Quads started to seize up at mile 9 and then calf's at mile 10. Pushed through both times and while it messed with me mentally, it really only effected last 5K where I had planned to empty the tank and push all out. Given various muscle cramps, I thought better of it and maintained pace through the end. Was still able to pass 5 people in last quarter mile. Grabbed 1-2 waters to drink at each aid station and dump an extra one on head to help keep cool; for this reason, glad I shoe to wear visor and no sunglasses.

Take in more salts and fluids on bike to help avoid muscle cramps on run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming ability and muscle cramps on run.

Event comments:

I absolutely loved this race. This was my first half and I could not be more pleased with the race - course, organization, support, location and spectator friendly made it easily my favorite race I have done. Was aiming for 5:45 time, and was ecstatic with 5:15 performance. Really enjoyed racing on same course on same day with some of the best pros in the sport. Will be there again next year.

Last updated: 2009-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:01 | 2310 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 46/82
Overall: 253/684
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:31 | 56 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/82
Overall: 144/684
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course lived up to reputation. Hills and rollers with very few flats. Challenging but fair. Felt that my training prepared me and did not feel that I was on a course too hard for me. Most of course was wet. Very light rain early on. Cornered well.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:41:36 | 13.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/82
Overall: 13/684
Performance: Good
Legs felt surprisingly decent
Course: Lots of hills - up and down. Not too many flats and when there were, they were short and you could see the next hill ahead. This was the toughest run I have done, regardless of prior 57.2 miles of racing. Final hill leading to finish was punishing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-09 7:52 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Subject: Revolution3

2010-06-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2912208

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Revolution3

Wow, that is a smok'n fast time on that course!!  Congrats on a great race!

2010-06-10 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Thank you.  I was pleasantly surprised by the result.  Good luck with the rest of your races.  I am going to keep an out for your CedarPoint race report b/c I may consider the half or full there next year. 
2010-07-02 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Congrats on completing your first HIM - and doing so well ! Awesome race !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Rss Feed