BuDu
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 14s
Overall Rank = 47/92
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at a friend's house which was about 70 miles from the race start, so I got up super early, grabbed coffee and a peanut butter sandwich, and hit the road. Arrived in plenty of time, even got the exact same parking spot as last year, and the same rack in the transition area.

Event warmup:

To warm up I did a 15 minute run, and then swam a little bit while waiting for the women's wave to start. The water was about 67 degrees, tropical compared to the icy lakes I've been in lately!
Swim
  • 32m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am happy that I didn't get kicked or punched or dunked on the swim. Started to the outside in a direct line with the buoy. Passed a few people, was passed by a few. Tried to draft people but just am no good at staying in their bubbles.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to draft properly!
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Rookie mistake here. Timing chip came off in the wetsuit. I didn't notice it until I was a couple of miles into the bike. Oh well...but annoying that I made that mistake.

Use my own timing chip band which stays on better than the one that was provided.
Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 22 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like crap for the whole ride. Somehow I had managed to swallow a gallon of lake water and my stomach was cramping the entire time. I tried to eat my gel and drink my electrolyte but it was gagging me. I managed to choke down at least half of it, but my body didn't like it at all. This has never happened to me on the bike before, I was wondering if it were possible to vomit and keep riding! It was hard to focus on pushing hard because I was in pain. I still had a faster split than last year.

Good note--I still managed to pass a bunch of ladies, though! After the race one woman told me that she was impressed that I'd passed her like she was standing still.

Figure out the stomach issue!!! Push harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Took a few extra seconds to dig the timing chip out of the wetsuit and put it on, grabbed my race belt and Garmin and hit the road. Unfortunately I made another mistake and forgot to grab my visor! It was hot and sunny and it would have been nice....but I knew it wouldn't make or break my run.

Sun protection!
Run
  • 54m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Stomach cramps still, the WHOLE time. I just worked on keeping my cadence fast, knowing it would keep me a good pace and I would be able to finish sooner and end the pain! I dumped water on my head at all the water stops, drank a little bit, although stomach still complained.

At about 5 miles, Sister Madonna Buder was running outward bound and hollered at me, "You look beautiful!". Now, that is something special, and it really helped me pick up the pace at the end, as my 5th mile had slowed down, since it was getting hotter and hotter.

Overall I am really pleased with my run time, as I kept a really good pace, all under 9 minute miles.

Figure out the stomach thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank tons of water, ate orange slices, sat and tried to relax stomach. Finally started feeling better. Accepted my First Place Athena trophy. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach cramps!!!!

Event comments:

Lots of cheerleaders out on the run course made it fun, they had all made up different cheers about running. Very cute.

When I was about two miles into the run, a woman was heading in and told me I was the 12th woman and that she was in a relay so she didn't count....throughout the run I passed two women, which put me in the TOP TEN! Yay!!!

I'm summing this up to say that yes, my performance this year was a little bit better than last year, even though the clock doesn't say so....due to the swim distance change....imagine if I'd had a healthy digestive system. Well, there's always next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:41 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 67/92
Performance: Average
I am pretty sure the swim was longer than last year. I asked the RD director about it and he said it probably was. That makes me feel better because my time was terrible compared to past years, yet I felt strong on the swim, and felt like I did well with navigation. I did get a couple of huge mouthfuls of water when I was hit by a wave....that would play a factor later. I was not nervous at all and this was probably my best swim, mentally....even though the time was bad. UPDATE: Checking the top 20 swim times from 2009, they were from 17-21 minutes (mine was 26:41). This year the top 20 ranged from 21-29 minutes. So I don't feel so bad. It's hard to compare results when the swim and run legs varied so much over the years....but....I feel better now!
Suit: Zoot full
Course: 2 laps clockwise along shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:00 | 22 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Overall: 45/92
Performance: Average
18 minutes to sprint turnaround at 6 miles 34 minutes to Oly turnaround at 11 miles I had my Garmin on my bike but I didn't look at it once.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back next to I-90, couple of hills, none that required getting out of the big ring.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:00 | 06.21 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 46/92
Performance: Good
1-8:25 2-8:34 3-8:30 4-8:43 5-8:59 6-8:39 .25-9:09 (uphill through uneven grass!)
Course: Out and back, a couple of very small hills, finish was uphill in the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-12 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Moses Lake Olympic Distance

2010-06-12 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2917925

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Moses Lake Olympic Distance

I'll update with overall results when I have them available.

Photos are: Transition layout, Pinarello ready for the first race, Me pre-race, My feet hanging over the Columbia River Gorge, and me with my 1st place trophy after the race.

I'm going to upload some more scenery shots into an album since I took a whole bunch today!

2010-06-12 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Leslie, I love reading your race reports. Sorry about the stomach issues but you still rocked it!  You are my Athena idol! (although, you are the fittest Athena ever and I'm worried you won't even qualify for Athena soon!)  Anyway, thanks for always taking the time to write your race reports and inspiring the rest of us.
2010-06-13 8:05 AM

User image

New user

Brisbane, Australia
Excellent achievement. You make me want to go do some training now (It is 11pm here in OZ) I lost my timing chip in a sprint race once, ever since I tape is in with insulation tape around the strap... works a treat :-)

Congrats, you rule :-)
2010-06-14 5:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-14 11:30 AM

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for the great writeup. Wow, another victory. Way to go.

Sounds like it was a great day over there. I think if I had known Sister Madonna was going to be there I would have canceled my other plans. She is a super-hero and I've always wanted to meet her.

2010-06-17 11:10 AM

Master
Pacific Northwest

Finishing with a smile.....

2010-06-17 5:27 PM

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
In the same race as Sister Madonna.. that would be soo awesome !!

great time.. very very impressive Laughing 
2010-06-17 5:32 PM

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
she did it in 3:24 too.. wow
2010-06-17 5:35 PM

Master
Pacific Northwest

serenityau - 2010-06-17 3:27 PM In the same race as Sister Madonna.. that would be soo awesome !!

great time.. very very impressive Laughing 

Sister Madonna was actually a friend of my dad's back in the 1980s when triathlon first got started around here. (My dad was a triathlete before he broke his neck and became a quadriplegic in the late 80s.)   I've raced with her a few times, she is so darn inspirational!!!  A beautiful soul who truly loves what she does.  Getting such a nice shout-out from her was great!

2010-06-17 9:22 PM

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
Sorry about your Dad Frown

I think Sister Madonna is the most inspirational person.. Just goes to show you can be doing this thing for a very long time and love it the whole way.

2010-06-19 10:39 PM

Master
St. Louis
Great race and great race report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moses Lake Olympic Distance Rss Feed