GA Multi-Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 53s
Overall Rank = 82/348
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/54
Pre-race routine:

Not really the heat but the humidity was so high, I had to use my windshield wipers on the way in.
Got a hotel the night before, shout out to the Hampton Inn in LaGrange, they opened up the breakfast bar at 4:45am for the athletes.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 26m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

A lot of slower swimmers either mis-seeded themselves (by a lot) or jumped the line because it seemed like I must have passed 50 people. In a TT-start based on your est seed time, that is just odd.
Felt good, bilateral breathing right off the bat. One of my best swims (feel wise) in a while.
What would you do differently?:

Tinted googles, sighting into the low sun for the last 700 meters was not fun.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Swim exit about 100 feet from t-1 on the boat launch ramp (concrete). Huge transition with a center lane and #'s at the end of each row (nice).

15/54 AG (with shoes/socks), 94/348OA

shoes/socks cost probably 20 seconds as top OA was in the 40 range, no biggy for the comfort
Bike
  • 1h 08m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't hammer it, just rode hard yet comfortable and picked people off one by one. Only got passed by 1 guy and no real pack riding, that I noticed..
Took a gu around mile 4 and had a slight cramp so every time I took a drink, the cramp came back a little. Last year, I drank too much and sloshed on the run. This year, not nearly enough (only half the aero bottle - mistake).

Drink more often in training so I get used to it for racing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Coming into the right corners right behind the BOP sprinters, so just rode around em and kept an eye coming up to the line for sketchy moves. Almost got wrecked cause 1 guy didn't know you had to turn right, just as I was passing on the left, oops, would have been my fault too.

Smooth, efficient. Kept shoes on, would hate to run through that Transition area barefoot. Rack bike, shoes off, shoes on, helmet off, grab hat/belt, go. Thanks Yankz!

1/54 AG, 5/348OA.

skipped water station at t exit, too humid to pass up any water.

SWEET - now only if I could go that fast on the Run leg.

Why bother figuring out how to do the ride with feet out of shoes for this part? Work on run endurance instead.
Run
  • 55m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Things moving fine, just 1 foot in front of another, it was warm and humid but life was going fine, HR under control, legs ok, just feeling HOT. Got to the turnaround and 'missed' the water handoff so stopped to get water (MISTAKE).
So right before I got back to the dam, decided to walk to cool down (thanks Captin for the words of encouragement to stop walking). Ran back across the dam with the old, I can stop at the end of the dam at the aid station,which I did. But by that time it was too late. Way overheated, couldn't get enough shade and basically walked 1.5 of the last 2 miles. Not happy about that but felt delerious and seriously overheated. Hit the finish line and took about 1 minute to clear the finish chute.

Hydrate more on the bike and possibly run without a tri-top. Take more water on the run for dumping over the head to cool down.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to about 100 from the finish to root for Captin and Joshua, then basically passed out on the grass in shade for >30 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HTFU

Event comments:

Watermelon at the finish tent, tasty.
Note: transition about 1/2 mile from car so plan on taking everything you need with you.

Last updated: 2010-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:11 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/54
Overall: 63/348
Performance: Good
Suit: exterra skin suit
Course: TT start, 2 every 5 seconds, swim around peninsula. Note: wear tinted goggles next year because the sun was brutal for the second half, could not see the bouys, just the random swimmers
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:48 | 24.85 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/54
Overall: 54/348
Wind: None
Course: Rollers, typical Georgia roads, nothing too steep or long. Half the course was on newly paved roads, smooth like butter which I appreciate with my non-carbon bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 0/348
Performance: Bad
7:13, 7:21, 7:48, 8:30, uh oh for last 2.2.
Course: First 1-2 slight downhill to the dam, mostly shaded, then the dam, out and back with no shade for about 2.5 miles. Mile 4-4.5, a little sneaky sharp hill.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon

2010-06-15 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2921745

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon

conditions were brutal...and you still had a great time.  I think you have a sub 2:20 in there some where.  Smokin' transitions especially T2.  Good stuff.  I agree with the swim seating.  I passed a ton of people, so there is no way they told the truth on the finish times.   Great that you passed out for 30 minutes, I shuffled past quietly with attention.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed