Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-06-21 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2932318

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Ironman v Ironman distance
I respectfully disagree.  If I run my podunk neighborhood marathon, I don't go around telling people I did the Chicago or NYC Marathon with the excuse that "26.2 is 26.2". How is this misrepresentation any different?
If being able to brag that you are an "Ironman" is so important, then why not just do one of those races?  Especially if you are going to get inked...  If you get the tatt, you are inevitably going to be asked what IM you did & when...
"Well, I didn't actually do a real Ironman, but..."
Cheers, Chris

I agree Chris... and until you get a chance to run accross Greece, from Marathon to Athens you haven't run a marathon.... Yell

2010-06-22 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2935154

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
ddel65 - 2010-06-21 4:49 PM
TriRSquared - 2010-06-21 12:36 AM
F1longhorn - 2010-06-20 10:48 PM Legit question: was the "M-dot" logo created before 1991 when WTC was founded and trademarked it, or what it created when the WTC was founded?

I have wondered this as well, because it was called an Ironman before WTC got involved, before it became a "brand".  So WTC took the name from the event.  The name was around before the WTC got involved.  If you complete 140.6 miles you are an Ironman IMO.

As for the Mdot...I wonder as well...

ETA:  Well here is some info from wikipedia:

The Ironman Triathlon logo is a trademark of the World Triathlon Corporation. The WTC has also registered the trademark "Ironman Triathlon" for its athletic competitions, and the trademark "Ironman" for a line of clothing, athletic equipment, and souvenirs, and licensed the name to Timex for their line of Timex Ironman wristwatches. The trademark also extends to the use of "140.6" and "70.3," the respective distances for a full and half Ironman.

Still, was the logo around before WTC was formed?  Interesting that the trademark extends to 70.3 and 140.6 as well.  So those who say they don't want a corp logo on their body but have a 70.3 or 140.6, congrats, you have a corp trademark on your body.

(Personally I could care less about what you call it or what you put on your body)

So with regards to when the logo came into play take a look at this. The 1988 finishers photo. I see an M-Dot logo on this. If the WTC did not trademark it until 1991 then the logo was around before this.

Perfect.  So both the words "Ironman" and the mDot logo were around BEFORE WTC made it a brand.

So based on both of these observations it is my opinion that if you complete a 104.6 distance race you can call yourself an Ironman (Ironwoman) and tattoo an mDot on yourself without guilt.  These are both symbols and names that represent the original race before it became a brand.

Just my two cents.
2010-06-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2932294

Expert
You did the distance, you do what you want and call yourself whatever your want.

And if you want to plaster a corporate logo on your body and call it art, it is your body and your money so what other people think shouldn't matter!

Enjoy your success.  Congrats ironman!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman v Ironman distance Rss Feed  

of 4