United States
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing unusual. After bike check in went back to hotel. Enjoyed dinner with Jules and her family. Jules ended up staying in my hotel room since she was doing the race too. We set our stuff out the night before and hit the sack at a reasonable hour.
Event warmup:

Once at racesite left plenty of time to get my act together in transition. The energy is palpable.
Swim
  • 47m 29s
  • 2310 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt pretty good about this swim. I knew I was nervous going into it but I had taken advantage of the open swim the day before in the same water, making it much easier race day. I stayed near the back of my wave and concentrated on getting into a nice steady rhythm. After I felt comfortable with that pattern I started to look for folks going about my speed to draft from. I pretty much drafted the whole swim. The water was smooth and warm. I really felt strong when I got out of the water and thought I had done a much better swim than I actually did in terms of time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I hate the swim and my concentration was remaining calm and in control with a steady effort which I accomplished.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

I hustled from the swim to the bike but it was a little bit of a jog. I had my wetsuit just about off by the time I got to transition. I was one of the last waves and my swim is kind of slow so when I got to transition I was a little disappointed to see my bike as the lone bike on the rack...proof of my slowness.

Not much . I'd really like to learn how to jump on my bike and get into my shoes at the same time
Bike
  • 4h 04m
  • 56 miles
  • 13.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Just when one hill ended another began. When there was finally a downhill there was usually a turn involved so I wasnt able to gain much time there. There was more than 1 5mile climb...unlike what people talked about. The big climb that everyone talked about was long but attainable. The whole thing just sucked. I knew I was going slow, the clock kept ticking and I wasnt getting anywhere. My bike computer registered 58.8 miles at the end also.

I wouldn't do this race. Thats what I would have done differently. This course is not for the average age grouper
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

By the time I was done on that lousy bike I just wanted to cry. I couldnt even fathom now having to run 13.1 miles but I was there to finish and finish is what I intended to do. Even if that meant walking the whole way. I couldnt even think and started to run out of the wrong side of transition. Then I was turned around my a race official and realized I had to run back across transition and exit from another point. Awesome... just the way I wanted to finish up this sucky race
Run
  • 2h 47m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I got to the run my body was like the tin man. I couldn't believe how stiff I was and it felt like I was running on glass...wtf? I allowed myself to walk from the start. The first mile I trotted/ walked. The next few miles were a perpetual climb on a dirt road.... again wtf?
Finally by mile 6 the course started to roll a little at which point I made myself begin to run. If I kept walking I realized I wouldnt be done until after dark. I trotted/ walked/ stumbled/ ran until mile 12 when the last lousy hill took me by surprise. Why on earth is there a huge hill at the end of this race? I could barely move at this point but I didnt want to be disqualified because I was so freaking slow so I made myself trot when I wanted to just lie down. By mile 13 the end was near. Thank God this freaking day ended.. finally

Not do this race.... I obviously couldn't handle it
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills hills and more hills.

Event comments:

Toward the end of the run course the volunteer stations wheren't even manned... like the volunteers had already packed up and gone home. The massage guy was packing up his stuff and carrying it to the car when I got done... and I really could have used a message on my calves. The whole place was breaking down for the day and I had to specifically ask for a finisher shirt of which they only had large and extra large left. Oh well. It really sucks to be just about last but they could at least extend the same courtesy to all the participants and break down the race after Everyone finishes. I cried all the way home. what a miserable day.

Last updated: 2009-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:29 | 2310 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Quantano Roo
Course: The course was triangle in shape. Buoys were in all the right places making siting a breeze
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No