Bluepoint Race Management
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m
Overall Rank = 17/25
Age Group = 40-44 women
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Drank coffee and ate cereal at home. Drove 5 minutes to course. Picked up packet and timing chip. Tried to find a place on the racks for my bike and transition stuff, but several racers took up way too much space on the racks and there was no room, so I found a telephone pole and made that my "rack" and transition area.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 16m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was choppy since the tide was coming in towards us and our "buoy" was a kayak. Ran into underwater pylons at the finish since there were no markings as to where to come into the beach, but I came out of the water in 12 minutes according to my watch so I don't think my official time of 16:53 reflects the 3 minute delay in the female wave -- I think it should be 13:53 instead. According to a friend who watched the swim, I was the second female out the water. Woo hoo!
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Wasn't worried about rushing. Sat down on ground and made sure I rinsed off my feet and got them dry before putting on socks. The part of the race I wanted to do well in (the swim) was done with - the rest was a long workout.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 38s
  • 19.9 miles
  • 14.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was not well marked and at one left hand turn where we had to cross threee lanes of traffic, there was no support at all and the signs were too small. Several riders went the wrong way and looped the opposite direction, so at one point on Route 4, we were on the right hand shoulder with riders coming towards us. Lost my chain on the big hill there. On another hill on Ward road, I bailed out onto a side street to get some momentum to finish the hill and turned too sharp and went down with toe clips still in. Got a nice gash on my left knee and bent up my left handlebar a little. Kept going, but stopped at one point, because it felt like my brake was rubbing against front tire. Fixed that and kept going. No support at last left hand turn where I had to stop at the bottom of a hill at a light and wait for a signal.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Run
  • 35m 20s
  • 3.09 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked up the first hill, and ran down the downhills. Once it flattened out, I did short run/walk intervals. It was too hot and no water on course, so I should have brought water with me. Run signage was off in the neighborhood. Several of us went the wrong way around one loop on the course. No water left at the finish. Wondering if I did the entire distance because 35 minutes would be a good time for me considering how much I walked.
What would you do differently?:

Needed more brick training sessions. It took several minutes of walking to get my running legs under me.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some coconut water (the only water they had left), ate banana. Got knee cleaned up in an ambulance. Went and purchased some junk food at a vendor. Went home to soak in tub, clean up my knee better, and drink a few beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time on the bike.

Event comments:

Luckily, I wasn't too serious about the whole thing and looked at is at a long training session. There were several other athletes who were VERY serious -- beautiful, expensive bikes. Lots of grumbling from the serious racers at the finish which was deserved.

This was the first year for this race, so hopefully they've learned some lessons. I would still probably do it again, since it's only 5 minutes from my house. I find that I much prefer the smaller races.

Results:
http://www.bluepointtiming.com/files/results/TRIFORCESAGEGRP.HTM

Last updated: 2010-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:53 | 750 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/25
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: In water start at end of pier. Triangle course along shore to a person in a kayak which was our "buoy" (organizers didn't get buoys in the water in time), and turn around back along shore, finish on beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:38 | 19.9 miles | 14.45 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:20 | 03.09 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Course: Up a long hill, then down a long hill, then rambling through a small beach community which was pretty flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No