General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 30s
Overall Rank = 94/283
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a friend's parent's house the night before - didn't sleep - well - I suppose race anxiety - whatever, got up had a cliff bar and a Peanut Butter and Jelly (I think cherry jelly) sandwich and got in the car to drive to the race. Took just about 2 hours to get there, but watching the sun come up on the way there was kind of cool, it was pretty and pink outside.
Event warmup:

Set up transition and mosied down to the water where I preceded to silently moan and groan about getting in. I was cold but finally got in and went for a quick swim. Got out and headed to the beach where I stood freezing (teeth chattering and very pronounced, um, chestage area, um yeah, need a wetsuit, if nothing else just to combat that issue because tri tops don't leave a lot to the imagination.)
Swim
  • 16m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is killing me! This swim was way slower than deer creek - this of course wouldn't be due to the fact that I can't site for Sh*t - ah ha ha ha. Actually I think I probably ended up swimming an extra 50-75 yards because I started way off to the side in order to avoid some of the kicking and ended up way left of the bouys - next time - forget it I will swim over the top of people - whatever, I survived it.
What would you do differently?:

I have been slacking on getting to the pool of late, there has been a lot going on and trying to juggle schedules and make the right arrangements etc. has put a cramp in my swimming, but I am happy to report that things have finally seemed to calm down and I should be getting back to the pool regularly so no more excuses.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I don't have much to do in T1 since I haven't graduated to big girl clipp pedals and don't have a wetsuit and what not all I have to do is slide my running shoes on and off I go.

Nada
Bike
  • 42m 8s
  • 14.29 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the first time on the bike where I was really comfortable. It was a lot of fun and I really only got passed by a few folks and I actually passed quite a few people so I am really pleased with this. My favorite part was passing the people on the fancy bikes with the funny sounding wheels - yes, makes you feel good. I had some good folks to pace me and ended up playing some leap frog with a couple of people. This is by far the fastest I have biked a course and rolls over my previous fastest average so I am excited with this PR!

I still think more time outside on the bike would help.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Again, not much for me to do here since all I have to do is rack the bike and throw the helmet on the ground - sure makes me look super speedy though hun?

Nada.
Run
  • 26m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and I was actually a little more wiped out from my stellar bike performance than I had thought. I had been riding with a friend of a friend on the bike route and quasi competing with her (ok, ok, really I wanted to beat her on the bike so I hammered down at the end to beat her in) and my legs were pretty rough. I kept feeling like the turn-around should have come sooner. When I hit the turn-around I grabbed some water, took a couple of sips and dumped the rest over my head because I was HOT! Once I turned around the sun hit me in the face and all I could think was just keep going, just keep going, get on the side of the lake and then the sun won't be directly on your face. I was probably a quarter of a mile out when a chick passed me - dang it if it wasn't a chick from my age group - she ended up finishing 20 seconds ahead of me and grabbed the spot ahead of me in our age group - I just couldn't catch her - I was running out of steam. I was surprised to see my run time because I didn't feel like I was moving that fast, but overall this was my second fastest run and I was happy with it.

More training I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race and caught up with friends Teresa and Mike - I had been chasing Teresa the whole bike but got her on the run so watched and yelled with her husband as she finished. I scarfed down 2 PB&J sandwiches and 3 cookies, a diet pepsi and 2 bottles of water. Watched some other BT'rs finish and chatted with them. Went for a post race cool down in the lake, then packed up the car and made the Loooonnnngggggg drive home (I know 2 hours and 30 minutes isn't that long but after little to no sleep and that race it just about killed me).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am really excited about this race! A big PR for me and I actually placed (3rd in my AG) and got hardware - so I am really excited. I know that I need to spend more time training - things are ironing themselves out though and time for training should be better.

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:16 | 820 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/283
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:08 | 14.29 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:15 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-06-21 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2934745

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Smoking bike chica - all without big girl shoes

2 hour drive to the race? That is beyond a sane person driving distance.

Hardware before and after the race - that is quite the accomplishment.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed